AT&T warns of coming clamp-down on iPhone data hogs

Comments

• Reply 141 of 217
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madeincupertino View Post

This is really terrible.

If they actually do this I hope (and believe) that people will make this into a huge PR disaster for AT&T.

They are obviously the worst network, bar none.

Instead of blaming their users they should be fixing their piece of sh1t network

I don't think this will be any kind of a PR disaster for AT&T. How much bandwidth is consumed on a little iPhone by 95% of the users? It's not like the iPhone is some kind of server.

Contrast this with Verizon Wireless who actually have a lot of 3G cards in people's laptops. Aren't those laptops using far more bandwidth than an iPhone???
  • Reply 142 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's best to leave out the slams when replying to other people. I don't know what has people so upset today, we've had more complaints today than I see in a typical week or even month. Maybe the snowstorm is aggravating people's stress levels.

I'm tempted to drop a banhammer on people that call others morons, idiots, etc. rather than just hand out infractions. I really don't care if you think it's the truth, if you're going to be that rude, then you really shouldn't be posting. Several days off should do people some good.

I posted a rant that called nobody names and this jackass DanielSW decides to call me a moron, and you let it fly.

Naturally, I responded in kind, and now you log in to offer a few warnings for people who are long gone?

What is the matter with you?

If you would have done what you should have done, then I'd never have seen this douchebag calling me names in the first place.

I remember you once banning me for quoting a South Park joke about poor people smelling like sour milk, because that was BAD but calling people "Morons" and insinuating they're on "crack" is ok for you?

Seriously?

DO IT.

Give everybody, me included, a few days off. I didn't even start this but I can live with it on principle if it means the asshole in question goes away too.
  • Reply 143 of 217
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I posted a rant that called nobody names and this jackass DanielSW decides to call me a moron, and you let it fly.

It got deleted an hour ago, shortly after you reported it. We can't nail this stuff immediately. We all do have other things to do with our time. I don't read AI during the day very much.

Quote:

Naturally, I responded in kind, and now you log in to offer a few warnings for people who are long gone?

Color me unsympathetic especially if someone flies off the handle like that. Someone wronging doesn't justify responding in kind. Just report it like you did, we don't need escalations.
  • Reply 144 of 217
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I pay less than that [$30/month] for home internet and can download all f--king day and night, with no restrictions.

Before you go all hyperbolic--oh, wait, you already did--you do realize wireless internet is a whole different animal from wired broadband?
  • Reply 145 of 217
    I really don't understand why fellow customers keep blaming other customers as if they were in direct competition with each other. Take a look at AT&T's quarterly earnings. Their wireless is not a problem. If they have any profit it's because of that.

Trying to switch to a tiered system is not to 'save' the network, or the bandwidth, or reduce dropped calls. It's a pure money grab because other areas are hemorrhaging money.

A tiered system would indeed start at $30 and unlimited would sky rocket from there. They aren't going to sacrifice what they know they can get. And if you're on a lesser tier that tiered limit will be so low that your grandma would go over the limit each month and pay exorbitant fees that would push her way over the $30 a month. Have you looked and done any research on the data limit and price per kb the phone companies charge for their data plans?

Please keep in mind that the unlimited for $30 was pretty much Apple's idea to get people to use the services the iPhone provides. Really, without the $30 unlimited most people would never use or have even bought the iPhone. And because of the iPhone mobile services have taken off.

I'm not saying the iPhone is perfect. In reality, it's a better example of how badly all the Nokias and Motorolas sucked at producing phones that people wanted and could be used for more than just a phone.

And lastly, it's really AT&T's fault for not being able to handle the capacity. They had a crappy network long before the iPhone came out. I'm just glad I live in a smaller area where I don't notice it as much. I'm sure the execs at AT&T have been ignoring what their network engineers have been telling them for years. "We need upgrades." "We need more bandwidth." "We need capacity for peak times."

After all, it's AT&T that's cashing the check. It's their responsibility to take care of the problem. Not the customers.
  • Reply 146 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

The problem lies with the 3%. Many of them are tethering to their computers! They are hurting the rest of us. We need tiered pricing. Why should someone who only uses 500MB pay the same as someone using 10GB? The lighter users would love to pay $15/mo for data...

They'd like to... But they will pay $30/month and heavy users will pay $90. I don't belive that AT&T will reduce price for lightweight user
  • Reply 147 of 217
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

You pay for what you get. That's natural law. The only thing abusive here is yours and others' childish whining.

Its really not childish to expect what you pay for. I don't have an iPhone. But I would expect that Unlimited does indeed unlimited.
  • Reply 148 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post

Actually, I think that's when the leaving begins...

I'm with you in spirit. However, when the carriers all do it, there is no alternative for which to leave. It will happen, and we will pay. The stench of oligopolies chokes technological innovation in the States, and here is another fine example.

I've said this before and I'll repeat it here.

My wife has a phone with Verizon. It's an enV Touch. She has unlimited messaging (MMS+SMS). 450 minutes. No e-mail, no internet. Her bill comes to $82 a month after taxes and fees.

I have an iPhone 3G. On AT&T. 450 minutes, 200 texts. My bill after taxes and fees is $86.

For all of you who think Verizon Wireless is the pinnacle of service, the awesomeness that can rip off AT&T's head and poop down it's neck, good luck. They will never offer a truly competitive price point for the iPhone's services that you enjoy with AT&T.

Unless....AT&T is going to screw us with tiered pricing and caps. Then, and only then, will Verizon be competitive. For all the wrong reasons, mind you.
  • Reply 149 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's best to leave out the slams when replying to other people. I don't know what has people so upset today, we've had more complaints today than I see in a typical week or even month. Maybe the snowstorm is aggravating people's stress levels.

I'm tempted to drop a banhammer on people that call others morons, idiots, etc. rather than just hand out infractions. I really don't care if you think it's the truth, if you're going to be that rude, then you really shouldn't be posting. Several days off should do people some good.

People finally found out how to use that little exclamation point over there, eh

It truly dumbs a conversation down when people just pop insults back and forth. I'd rather read YouTube comments for that, thanks

Oh, and banhammer.
  • Reply 150 of 217
    AT&T is rock solid where I am at and there are plenty of iPhone users here. Rarely a dropped call, download speeds average 1.5 Mbps and sometimes hits 2.2 Mbps. 850 Mhz spectrum. 7.2Mbps rollout here shortly. How can I complain?
  • Reply 151 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

They'd like to... But they will pay $30/month and heavy users will pay $90. I don't belive that AT&T will reduce price for lightweight user

They have to if they want to proof the fact that fair use helps to solve bandwidth problems and to show that they are trustworthy.

I'm no AT&T customer but I really would be glad to see a balanced and fair package of measures (including capacity expansion) being successful. I also demand a fair salary for my work - not more not less.

I'm not pleased about the "hot" discussions in this threat. As a dev I would much more like to see people enjoying technology we could not imagine some years ago instead of feeling they got too little for their money.
  • Reply 152 of 217
    using more than their "fair share"??? it's an UNLIMITED plan!!!!!
  • Reply 153 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

I'm with you in spirit. However, when the carriers all do it, there is no alternative for which to leave. It will happen, and we will pay. The stench of oligopolies chokes technological innovation in the States, and here is another fine example.

I've said this before and I'll repeat it here.

My wife has a phone with Verizon. It's an enV Touch. She has unlimited messaging (MMS+SMS). 450 minutes. No e-mail, no internet. Her bill comes to $82 a month after taxes and fees.

I have an iPhone 3G. On AT&T. 450 minutes, 200 texts. My bill after taxes and fees is $86.

For all of you who think Verizon Wireless is the pinnacle of service, the awesomeness that can rip off AT&T's head and poop down it's neck, good luck. They will never offer a truly competitive price point for the iPhone's services that you enjoy with AT&T.

Unless....AT&T is going to screw us with tiered pricing and caps. Then, and only then, will Verizon be competitive. For all the wrong reasons, mind you.

depending on where you live, get t-mobile. they actually give you a discount for not being in a 2 year contract.

500 minutes, unlimited talk and text for $40/month. add web and it's $60
  • Reply 154 of 217
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    My plan is unlimited according to AT&T. That's what I signed up for. NO LIMIT.

(I'm not a bandwidth hog, but I'm just making a point.)
  • Reply 155 of 217
    It's unlimited meaning all you can GET not all you can USE or all you WANT. By the way, no one has a contract longer than two years. All ATT has to do is wait until your contract expires or renews to implement a new policy.
  • Reply 156 of 217
    Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,Here are the most popular, most stylish and avantgarde shoes,handbags,Tshirts,jacket,Tracksuitw ect...

http://www.kkshoe.com /productlist.asp?id=s76(Tracksuit)

Christmas is approaching, your Christmas gifts ready?

kkshoe com mall for you, which involves a number of well-known brands from the Asia-Pacific region the trend of merchandise. Promotional discounts should be, come SHOPPING bar!Christmas sale, free shipping discounts are beautifully gift ,Christmas gifts,look, Best quality, Best reputation , Best services Service is our Lift.

Nike shox $35,Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

ugg boot,POLO hoody,Jacket,ect...

For details, please consult http://www.kkshoe.com

Thanks!!! Advance wish you a merry Christmas.
  • Reply 157 of 217
    It's super easy to be a bandwidth hog. For example lets say you enjoy pandora while at work. Here's a simple scenario that involves nothing but pandora:

Streaming Pandora at: 128 kbps

16,000 bytes per second

960,000 bytes per minute

57,000,000 bytes per hour (~57meg)

Assuming that you listen when you are at work:

9,216,000,000 bytes per month (based on 160 hours of work per month)

So you have used almost 10 gig of your infinity of bandwidth your contract says you can have.

That's without a single e-mail, web page, youtube video etc.

5 gig a month is easy even without tethering. So don't blame the jailbroken.

Sheldon
  • Reply 158 of 217
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

My plan is unlimited according to AT&T. That's what I signed up for. NO LIMIT.

A little critical thinking needs to be used. You signed a contract and that contract specifically stated what unlimited was.
  • Reply 159 of 217
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

using more than their "fair share"??? it's an UNLIMITED plan!!!!!

... which they can change.
  • Reply 160 of 217
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I have a quick question. Is here any way that AT&T can tell if someone is "illegally" tethering other than higher than average bandwidth usage?