Apple's plans for universal dock revealed in patent application

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple may be developing a universal dock which can conform to the shape of the object being charged, thus eliminating the need for separate chargers and adaptors when switching between products.

A universal dock for the iPod/iPhone was revealed in a patent application published Thursday. The dock's main feature is its ability to change forms to accommodate a variety of devices using an elastic, sponge-like substance that conforms to the shape of the device being charged.

The sponge-like substance would be able to retain its shape between uses or could be reset using a button placed on the front of the dock for use with a different device. This would eliminate the current problem of differing generations of iPods/iPhones needing adapters to fit into certain docks and chargers.

The patent for the device, dubbed the "Aesthetically pleasing universal dock," was originally filed in June of 2008. There is no word as to if or when this product will see release.

Also revealed today were patents for tamper-resistant hardware and the use of additional accelerometer controls in controlling iPod playback.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    WTF? Is it April 1st already?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple may be developing a universal dock which can conform to the shape of the object being charged, thus eliminating the need for separate chargers and adaptors when switching between products.

I just picked-up a Walldock from DLO and it operates the same way. It's a spring-loaded cushion on top and so any size ipod/iphone can be docked in it. It's actually really nice and a simple, nice looking solution to the problem.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sensoree View Post

I just picked-up a Walldock from DLO and it operates the same way. It's a spring-loaded cushion on top and so any size ipod/iphone can be docked in it. It's actually really nice and a simple, nice looking solution to the problem.

Do you have a link?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Some of these patent apps seem pretty boring. Let's see:

A universal dock for iPods and iPhones

A label patent that voids warranties

Apple doesn't patent anything cool
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Actually, this is kind of interesting. That they have been playing around with this elastic surface reminds me of some of the work on their proposed combination keyboard-multitouch surface that they applied for a patent for earlier.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    And if it didnt patent it some clown in texas would have them in court faster than you can imagine over some bogus patent infringement.

Its all par to the course (unless your Tiger Woods )
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do you have a link?

highlight->right click->search with Google = http://dlo.com/products/view/WallDock_ipod_iphone
  • Reply 8 of 27
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

And if it didnt patent it some clown in texas would have them in court faster than you can imagine over some bogus patent infringement.

Its all par to the course (unless your Tiger Woods )

The people that file the lawsuits in Texas aren't usually from Texas. They come to Texas from other places to file their suits in a federal court. That's where U. S. Patent infringement cases are heard, federal courts not state courts. Most of the judges in the federal courts located in Tyler and Marshall are Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton appointees, neither of which were fans of large corporations like Apple. In fact, Bill Clinton is a lawsuit whore (lawyer) from way back. So to blame all of that lawsuit abuse on the State of Texas isn't fair. Place the blame on a system full of judges that ignore the U. S. Constitution and take it upon themselves to legislate from the bench.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brooks1983 View Post

Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,Here are the most annoying spam messages I can excrete onto your forums...

Security!

Ah, there it is - the little red exclamation mark under his/her name...

Reported.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    ok that great. but what about this issue, that chargers for old ipods (1st generation iphone) won't charge the new iphone 3gs (i had to buy this shitty adapter that i plugged into my car unit, but the unit sucks because there are no clips on the side to hold it into the iPhone and when i drive my iphone gets disconnected). why did apple do this? and why would that company make such a shitty product? now i have to carry that stupid adapter with me when i go places.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brooks1983 View Post

Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,Here are the most popular, most stylish and avantgarde shoes,handbags,Tshirts,jacket,Tracksuitw ect...

http://www.kkshoe.com /productlist.asp?id=s76(Tracksuit)

Christmas is approaching, your Christmas gifts ready?

kkshoe com mall for you, which involves a number of well-known brands from the Asia-Pacific region the trend of merchandise. Promotional discounts should be, come SHOPPING bar!Christmas sale, free shipping discounts are beautifully gift ,Christmas gifts,look, Best quality, Best reputation , Best services Service is our Lift.

Nike shox $35,Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

ugg boot,POLO hoody,Jacket,ect...

For details, please consult http://www.kkshoe.com

Thanks!!! Advance wish you a merry Christmas.

WTF is this?
  • Reply 12 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

WTF is this?

Report it don?t retort it.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

highlight->right click->search with Google = http://dlo.com/products/view/WallDock_ipod_iphone

That's nice but unfortunately it won't work in Illinois because this dumb state has horizontal outlets and not vertical ones like that shown in the picture.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    This is so clearly a TABLET device, brilliant idea btw, now with our iphones and ipods we are having a universal dock for the TABLET...

Man I can't wait for the table to be announced, I once thought those guys queeing outside the stores and sleeping to get something first in the morning from apple where lunatics.

Guess who's buying a new sleeping bag!!!!!

I wonder though how they are going to get the audio out from the iphone right to allow for speaker calls as the universal dock won't do that right now.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Didn't we see something about wireless inductive charging awhile back?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkfeend View Post

Didn't we see something about wireless inductive charging awhile back?

I think so too. Btw, I don't know what all that big deal is with wireless inductive charging, I mean if you are to go put the phone somewhere to charge you might as well stick something in, of course inductive charging will be nice too, but nothing really that exciting.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

That's nice but unfortunately it won't work in Illinois because this dumb state has horizontal outlets and not vertical ones like that shown in the picture.

Uhm, yeah, no, but let me double check my outl- nope: all vertical.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Very cool, I have a bunch of plastic device templates just lying around the house taking up valuable wasted space. The device conforming universal template will be more than welcome. Can't wait to try it and review it on my iCrazee Mac Blog.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    They should name it Spongebob ? euh Spongedock! I suggest Steve presenting this in his squarepants
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

The people that file the lawsuits in Texas aren't usually from Texas. They come to Texas from other places... Place the blame on a system full of judges that ignore the U. S. Constitution and take it upon themselves to legislate from the bench.

He said IN Texas, not FROM Texas.

Maybe you should take a time out from Limburger and Faux Newz.

It seems to be rotting your mind.