Apple files countersuit against Nokia

Comments

• Reply 41 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yes I can.

And I haven't been corrected as you can't prove Apple gave me anything for free and that it wasn't the sudio or label. You have now been corrected.

because apple has never given YOU anything for me, means the same as Apple never gives anything for free...more hyperbolic rhetoric.
  • Reply 42 of 278
    Quote:

Yes I can.

And I haven't been corrected as you can't prove Apple gave me anything for free and that it wasn't the sudio or label. You have now been corrected.

The artists are from multiple studios: American Gramaphone, Sony/BMG, Universal… that's just the first three tracks I bothered to check. And the album is copyrighted by Apple, meaning they compiled the sampler.

Whether or not they were given permission to give away the tracks by each of the studios, labels, or artists, Apple created the sampler and is distributing it, therefore Apple is giving it away for free.
  • Reply 43 of 278
    Explain the article on CNN on the beginnings of multi touch and the final product used by CNN everday?

The Inventor Behind CNN's Magic Wall

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/11/04/magic.wall/

Why has Apple not sued Microsoft for Surface which pre-dates the Magic Wall Concept by a decade?

Quote from Wikipedia

"The technology behind Surface is called multi-touch and has at least a 25-year history,[7] beginning in 1982, with pioneering work being done at the University of Toronto (multi-touch tablets) and Bell Labs (multi-touch screens). The product idea for Surface was initially conceptualized in 2001 by Steven Bathiche of Microsoft Hardware and Andy Wilson of Microsoft Research.[8]

In October 2001, a virtual team was formed with Bathiche and Wilson as key members, to bring the idea to the next stage of development."

Link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Surface
  • Reply 44 of 278
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Why are there spy cameras in all Apple Stores recording people's buying behavior patterns?

Yeah, that's a real puzzler. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory in a busy retail environment with a wide open exit (without even a door at most Apple stores). Hmm, why would they be interested in monitoring what people are doing.
  • Reply 45 of 278
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

The album is copyrighted by Apple, meaning they compiled the sampler, which is incidentally called the "iTunes Holiday Sampler," not the Sony BMG Holiday Sampler.

The artists are from multiple studios: American Gramaphone, Sony/BMG, Universal… that's just the first three tracks I bothered to check.

So how exactly did all of these free tracks come together? Apple.

Therefore whether or not they were given permission to give away the tracks by each of the studios, labels, or artists, Apple created it and is distributing it, therefore Apple is giving it away for free.

You are an idiot, Teckstud. I don't care if I get banned or warned for saying that, because I'm not calling you a name; it's simply, matter-of-factly true, and I can live without the attention from AppleInsider that you so clearly and desperately require.

Dude- I never said that wasn't the FIRST item free from Apple- can't you read????? I said it was the only free item from Apple.

How many times do you need to be corrected? Jeeesh!! And I'm an idiot- HA!
  • Reply 46 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Explain the article on CNN on the beginnings of multi touch and the final product used by CNN everday?

Why has Apple not sued Microsoft for Surface which pre-dates the Magic Wall Concept by a decade?

Quote from Wikipedia

"The technology behind Surface is called multi-touch and has at least a 25-year history,[7] beginning in 1982, with pioneering work being done at the University of Toronto (multi-touch tablets) and Bell Labs (multi-touch screens). The product idea for Surface was initially conceptualized in 2001 by Steven Bathiche of Microsoft Hardware and Andy Wilson of Microsoft Research.[8]

In October 2001, a virtual team was formed with Bathiche and Wilson as key members, to bring the idea to the next stage of development."

Link

for a product that is no way mobile and requires a "XGA DLP projector underneath the surface which projects an image onto its underside, while four cameras in the machine's housing record reflections of infrared light from objects and human fingertips on the surface".....

might as well have called it the Microsoft Brick Wall, Microsoft Stationary Kiosk.. its great if you want to wheel around a large table with a generator in tow. it does not surprise me this is the smallest form factor multi touch device they can build... Whats the cost 10K....you will sell a lot of those...maybe in twenty years, when microsoft can build an xbox without a 60% failure rate they will be able to shrink their products into a usable device that does not require heavy metal brackets and solid oak furniture to be used....
  • Reply 47 of 278
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Forum Troll: Yes I can.

Stay with me here:

Apple sells music and video material at their iTunes store. Apple gets a cut of the sale, and the label/artist gets a cut. Apple provides the software, tech support, advertising, storage, electricity, and network bandwidth required to fulfill the purchase. Those components all cost money.

If Apple then offers material for people to download for free, they are assuming all the associated costs necessary to do so. Apple is GIVING YOU ALL OF THAT, FOR FREE.

You continue to waste everyone's time with your willful stupidity. Either that or you are simply a forum troll, and seek some perverse pleasure with your incessant mosquito bites attempting to point out some pedantic technicality or a trivial weakness of Apple and their products. You are the noise to everyone else's signal. You now have a post count exceeding 6400, of which the vast majority are childish one-liners seeking a response just for the sake of provocation. There are many people who have expressed exasperation or outright disgust with your antics. It's not just me.

Don't you think it's time for a little introspection?
  • Reply 48 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

for a product that is no way mobile and requires a "XGA DLP projector underneath the surface which projects an image onto its underside, while four cameras in the machine's housing record reflections of infrared light from objects and human fingertips on the surface".....

might as well have called it the Microsoft Brick Wall, Microsoft Stationary Kiosk.. its great if you want to wheel around a large table with a generator in tow. it does not surprise me this is the smallest form factor multi touch device they can build... Whats the cost 10K....you will sell a lot of those...

Mulit Touch is Multi Touch. Answer the question without pulling the norm on this forum and bashing Microsoft.

If these articles are true and I have no reason to believe they are not then Apple Did Not invent Multi Touch.

They copied Microsoft. What's Quadra's favorite saying. Start the copiers.
  • Reply 49 of 278
    Quote:

Quote from Wikipedia

Link

Thank you for that, Angus
  • Reply 50 of 278
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I never understood how suddenly everyone has a multi touch smart phone after Apple claims to have invented the technology. Can someone explain?

most things are invented at universities and licensed out to corporations. very few companies do any kind of real research anymore and Apple is not one of them

most patents don't mean anything these days and are used for defensive litigation
  • Reply 51 of 278
    Here is the problem I see, yes Apple is using GSM technology in the iphone, they have to if they want to work on the world GSM networks. Maybe Nokia in fact has patents on that technology, but those patent most likely would only apply to the chip sets Apples is using since apple did not develop the chip set. That means the company who is infringing is the chip set manufactures. I would also assume that since GSM is a standard all the company to help developed the technology had cross licenses all their IP so all the network equipment and phones will work together, otherwise it is not a standard.

The only thing I could image where Apple might have infringed on the standard technology is their software stack that interfaces with the chip set, Nokia my have come up with unique ways to make their phones work better with the chip sets. Or that as part of buying the chip set they are required to license various technologies form other companies to make it work. Again the chip set manufacture has the responsibility to let Apple know this and they are usually pretty good doing the right things.

If Apple used a software stack that Nokie patented, Nokia would have to show it was the exact code or method they developed and patented which means they somehow got hold of apples software and was able to back it down.

It will be interesting to see how it all fall out, right now you have 13 patents to 10 so Apple is winning in that sense. An most likely they have a stronger case since their patents are on the UI and implementation of their technology not a standard, so it proprietary and they do not license their patents. This the reason apple these days it patenting everything, the more patents they walk into court with the stronger their case becomes.

Most like this will be settle behind close doors since neither side wants to loose in court.

Generally speaking big company do not sue other big companies since there is too much to loose by both, since the last thing you want to do is have the court decide your patents are not valid due to prior artwork or that it did not meet the requirement of being unique and any engineer with the same knowledge and experience would have come to the same solutions.

Most Patent lawsuits are filled by companies which have nothing to loose like these no name companies who do not make a product. This is why big companies usually do not win since the no name company does not make anything and the larger company can not use their patents against them like apple is doing here.
  • Reply 52 of 278
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Apple DID NOT invent Multitouch.

Apple acquired a small company named FingerWorks which did invent it.

Much like every other company in the world - buy up the small guy and extend the use of what you bought.
  • Reply 53 of 278
    Quote:

Thank you for that, Angus

Not a problem.
  • Reply 54 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Stay with me here:

Apple sells music and video material at their iTunes store. Apple gets a cut of the sale, and the label/artist gets a cut. Apple provides the software, tech support, advertising, storage, electricity, and network bandwidth required to fulfill the purchase. Those components all cost money.

If Apple then offers material for people to download for free, they are assuming all the associated costs necessary to do so. Apple is GIVING YOU ALL OF THAT, FOR FREE.

You continue to waste everyone's time with your willful stupidity. Either that or you are simply a forum troll, and seek some perverse pleasure with your incessant mosquito bites attempting to point out some pedantic technicality or a trivial weakness of Apple and their products. You are the noise to everyone else's signal. You now have a post count exceeding 6400, of which the vast majority are childish one-liners seeking a response just for the sake of provocation. There are many people who have expressed exasperation or outright disgust with your antics. It's not just me.

Don't you think it's time for a little introspection?

Right and when an label wants to give a new artist for free they pay Apple for it not the other way around. Dude - you need to diagnose your own lack of comprehension. Really, Seriously. Unless you're just daft.

You still fail to prove your claims.
  • Reply 55 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I never understood how suddenly everyone has a multi touch smart phone after Apple claims to have invented the technology.

This post is the source of the problem. Jerseymac, please provide a citation where Apple 'claimed to have invented' multi-touch.

All rebuttals are irrelevant until that claim can be verified.
  • Reply 56 of 278
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

might as well have called it the Microsoft Brick Wall, Microsoft Stationary Kiosk.. its great if you want to wheel around a large table with a generator in tow. it does not surprise me this is the smallest form factor multi touch device they can build... Whats the cost 10K....you will sell a lot of those...maybe in twenty years, when microsoft can build an xbox without a 60% failure rate they will be able to shrink their products into a usable device that does not require heavy metal brackets and solid oak furniture to be used....

Microsoft doesn't sell a lot of things to end users. most of their customers are large companies. Microsoft invents a lot of things and licenses them out to other companies. Apple and Google pay a lot of licensing fees to Microsoft
  • Reply 57 of 278
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

Cool- now that's somebody who knows their stuff- unlike many others on here. Thank you for that info, DJRumpy. So Apple is now liscensing that tech out to everyone now? Doesn't that seem a bit counter-productive?

I can only assume they are. I think someone mentioned above that Apple bought the company that owned the patents for it.
  • Reply 58 of 278
    Quote:

Mulit Touch is Multi Touch. Answer the question without pulling the norm on this forum and bashing Microsoft.

If these articles are true and I have no reason to believe they are not then Apple Did Not invent Multi Touch.

They copied Microsoft. What's Quadra's favorite saying. Start the copiers.

exactly how did apple copy a XGA DLP projector underneath the surface which projects an image onto its underside, while four cameras in the machine's housing record reflections of infrared light from objects and human fingertips on the surface...?

and put it into a tiny little thing like the Iphone...its not even close to the same...Microsoft's Surface is equivalent to those DIY touch surfaces you can find on youtube....LOL

http://www.slashgear.com/diy-multito...orial-0740400/ which you can really build yourself.. i would like to see someone DIY a multi-touch iphone that is not the size of a shoebox...don't get me wrong...its not impossible...but not as nearly as plausible as building a DIY surface...so 25 years and its 4x the size of modern TV...

hmmm, wanna try another comparison?
  • Reply 59 of 278
    Quote:

Originally Posted by teckstud: Right and when an label wants to give a new artist for free they pay Apple for it not the other way around.

Provide proof for that assertion.

And Apple still provides at their own cost software, tech support, advertising, storage, electricity, and network bandwidth. For FREE to you.

Do you really want to keep this going? Is nothing sinking in?
  • Reply 60 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Microsoft doesn't sell a lot of things to end users. most of their customers are large companies. Microsoft invents a lot of things and licenses them out to other companies. Apple and Google pay a lot of licensing fees to Microsoft

yea expensive and pointless piece of tech that would have been better suited to vaporware. once again what's it good for...

a showpiece in the middle of large corporate office to show they support over-priced unpractical technology practices, instead of investing their money and effort to wiser endeavors?