Apple files countersuit against Nokia

Comments

• Reply 101 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If that's the case and it's true, then Apple is being selective, interested more in creating an example than anything else.

why worry about Android, a fracturing OS on multiple platforms? Why go after RIM? Let the business nerds keep their crummy scrolling ball and worse hardware keyboards.

You show that the Number one worldwide cellphone maker is in your sights and has nothing to combat their shrinking sales...
  • Reply 102 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're completely wrong on this point.

One word can counter the argument. Podcasts. All free, all hosted and promoted by Apple for years and years. Just for you.

Not to mention the free give-aways, the free open source givebacks etc. Apple gives away *tons* of stuff for free and always has. Their computers are expensive, but the argument that they never give you anything for free is just 100% BS.

I was being sarcastic to Teckstud's reply..
  • Reply 103 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're completely wrong on this point.

One word can counter the argument. Podcasts. All free, all hosted and promoted by Apple for years and years. Just for you.

Not to mention the free give-aways, the free open source givebacks etc. Apple gives away *tons* of stuff for free and always has. Their computers are expensive, but the argument that they never give you anything for free is just 100% BS.

Quote:

I think you two are actually in agreement, if I'm reading Rhetoric's comment correctly.

yes we are...sometimes snark is lost with my bad proofreading

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Please note that the quote you referenced was pointing out the same thing, in response to teckstud's provocation. The order (and grammar) were confusing.

yea what I meant to say was..

yea because since apple has not given anything to you for free means the same as they never give out anything for free...
  • Reply 104 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

SJ is very good at describing an ordinary feature and making it seem like it's going to change computing forever. i remember the time virtual desktops came to OS X and SJ was describing it like it was some huge innovation when in reality ^nix and Windows have had it for years and no one used it much.

Apple never made a big deal of "spaces", no commercial about it either.

Besides, for all we know he had it first on NeXT, which was Unix, way before people like Gnome or KDE had it.

Btw, who had desktop compositing first?
  • Reply 105 of 278
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    The patents Apple says Nokia infringes:

No. 5,634,074 : Serial I/O device identifies itself to a computer through a serial interface during power on reset then it is being configured by the computer

No. 6,343,263 B1 : Real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data

No. 5,915,131 : Method and apparatus for handling I/O requests utilizing separate programming interfaces to access separate I/O services

No. 5,555,369: Method of creating packages for a pointer-based computer system

No. 6,239,795 B1: Pattern and color abstraction in a graphical user interface

No. 5,315,703: Object-oriented notification framework system

No. 6,189,034 B1: Method and apparatus for dynamic launching of a teleconferencing application upon receipt of a call

No. 7,469,381, B2: List scrolling and document translation, scaling, and rotation on a touch-screen display

No. RE 39, 486 E: Extensible, replaceable network component system

No. 5,455,854: Object-oriented telephony system

No. 7,383,453 B2: Conserving power by reducing voltage supplied to an instruction-processing portion of a processor

No. 5,848,105: GMSK signal processors for improved communications capacity and quality

No. 5, 379,431: Boot framework architecture for dynamic staged initial program load

Seriously?

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...tersues-nokia/
  • Reply 106 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Dude, multi -touch has been around since the 90's- have you ever used a Citibank ATM? Apple would like you to think they invent everything. Even the new mouse is nothing revoutionary. It's just the way Apple presents it that's different.

Dude, atoms have been around since the beginning of time, and everything is made up of them. (actually I am getting a patent for this. :-) ) Everything uses atoms , just in different forms. LOL

REally, its the different uses that are what is really patentable. The US gov. is being a joke by accepting patents that have had common use for years and years before someone trys to patent them. Maybe one day we will learn.

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 107 of 278
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Besides, for all we know he had it first on NeXT, which was Unix, way before people like Gnome or KDE had it.

Btw, who had desktop compositing first?

Microsoft had it as a download for Windows 95 or 98, can't remember which. i tried it and hated it after 5 minutes. it's a stupid "feature" that is solved by multiple application windows. but it was funny to watch SJ talk about it

if NeXT had it first it would have been on OS X when it shipped, not in a later version.
  • Reply 108 of 278
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Actually, NeXTSTEP never had anything like Spaces available.

It offered an abstracted window server that offered some of the remote windowing capabilities of X Windows, but not virtual desktops like Spaces. (Nor, alas, fast user switching.)
  • Reply 109 of 278
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I was point blank called "an idiot" and I should be banned? Not cool and bad logic.

Where? I stepped back a couple pages and didn't find it.
  • Reply 110 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Microsoft had it as a download for Windows 95 or 98, can't remember which. i tried it and hated it after 5 minutes. it's a stupid "feature" that is solved by multiple application windows. but it was funny to watch SJ talk about it

if NeXT had it first it would have been on OS X when it shipped, not in a later version.

Speaking for myself, I love Spaces. My workflow is built around it. Apple's implementaion of it is really the best I've seen. I've got it set to a hot corner. I couldn't do without it.
  • Reply 111 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

why worry about Android, a fracturing OS on multiple platforms? Why go after RIM? Let the business nerds keep their crummy scrolling ball and worse hardware keyboards.

You show that the Number one worldwide cellphone maker is in your sights and has nothing to combat their shrinking sales...

Sorry to ruin the dream, but Apple are countersuing. They didn't initiate the proceedings.
  • Reply 112 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Sorry to ruin the dream, but Apple are countersuing. They didn't initiate the proceedings.

I think what he means is Apple is showing "the Number one worldwide cellphone maker is in your sights and has nothing to combat their shrinking sales..." in their countersuit. It isn't related to who initiated the proceedings.
  • Reply 113 of 278
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Please note that the quote you referenced was pointing out the same thing, in response to teckstud's provocation. The order (and grammar) were confusing.

My bad then.

I would say that teckstud is totally wrong on this point, but we all know he's wrong about almost everything.
  • Reply 114 of 278
    Quote:

Actually, NeXTSTEP never had anything like Spaces available.

It offered an abstracted window server that offered some of the remote windowing capabilities of X Windows, but not virtual desktops like Spaces. (Nor, alas, fast user switching.)

While I cannot confirm it was in NeXT, the clone of NeXT, Window Maker, has "Workspaces", and that means multiple desktops.

XP had an add on for multiple desktops. It wasn't a very good one but it did work. As to why to this very day they won't implement it is beyond me.
  • Reply 115 of 278
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Speaking for myself, I love Spaces. My workflow is built around it. Apple's implementaion of it is really the best I've seen. I've got it set to a hot corner. I couldn't do without it.

Pretty sure virtual desktops are much older than Microsoft's XP implementation. HP had an add on for Windows 3.1 that used it back when 3.1 was fighting OS-2 for relevance. Solaris had it ages and ages ago. It's a useful tool that's been around for a long long time in many OS's and many incarnations.

I like OS-X's version of it a lot, but it doesn't actually work for most apps. I've heard this is the fault of the apps, and if everyone got on board the "being aware of virtual desktops" train it couldn't hurt.

The biggest offenders in terms of not working with the OS-X implementation are indeed the crappiest, lowest quality apps like the Adobe CS suite etc., so it's probably up to the app vendors to work out the kinks.
  • Reply 116 of 278
    Quote:

And then haven't (yet) supplied a source or citation.

I haven't reviewed the video itself, but did Jobs explicitly state that Apple 'invented multitouch'? As I recall, he showed off the overall capabilities of the device, and then quipped, "And boy, have we patented it." That statement could refer to any number of underlying technologies, not necessarily 'multi-touch' itself (however it might be defined).

I'm watching the keynote now. Here is the exact line:

We're going to touch this with our fingers. And we have invented a new technology called Multi Touch. Which is phenomenal. It works like magic. You don't need a stylus. Ahem. It's far more accurate than any touch display that's ever been shipped. It ignores unintended touches, it's super smart. You can do multi fingered gestures on it. And boy have we patented it.

This keynote is in iTunes under Macworld 2007 Keynote and this quote is about thirty minutes into the speech.
  • Reply 117 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

Android and Google repeats Windows (Unix, Linux, etc) way - the same OS on different hardware sets. And iPhone is pure Apple ideology - single OS on VERY limited hardware configurations.

Let check the market share of Windows/Unix/Linux and MacOS - I think you will something interesting
  • Reply 118 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

We're going to touch this with our fingers. And we have invented a new technology called Multi Touch... And boy have we patented it.

Thanks for the citation.

Now it's a matter of semantics whether 'Multi-touch' (in any of it's capitalization or hyphenation variants) refers to a specific patentable technology or the overall gesture-based UI. I personally can't imagine Jobs making that claim in an extremely visible keynote three years ago and no one has contested it until this very forum, but IANAL, nor have I followed the legal cases that closely.
  • Reply 119 of 278
    Aaahhh....... (deep breath).

It is nice to revel in actual intelligent content compared to the fractured mess in Pages 1 and 2 of this thread......

(Sorry to be off-topic, but I had to say it).
  • Reply 120 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Aaahhh....... (deep breath).

It is nice to revel in actual intelligent content compared to the fractured mess in Pages 1 and 2 of this thread......

I don't understand why <you-know-who> keeps coming back, nor why AI allows him back. After close to 6500 posts of trivial provocation one would think this problem would get reconciled.

Any forum has its contentious members, but I have never seen anyone so persistent or oblivious to correction. I enjoy when people more informed than myself answer arcane questions about wireless technology or software development, but I fear some of them have given up here because of the endless trolling. Slashdot has been held up as the example of a lost cause for technical discussion. Only with diligence can other sites not fall into that same category.