Google 'Nexus One' pictured, rumored coming to T-Mobile

Comments

• Reply 41 of 141
    So I have a POS TMTG phone. Could I pop the sim into this phone and trade-up? I certainly don't need 3G if this guy has wifi.

James
  • Reply 42 of 141
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

Who are you expecting to subsidise it? IF t-mobile sell the phone, I would imagine they will lock it to their network. Otherwise you'll be buying directly from Google who won't have the ability to subsidise through a network contract.

I dunno they could subsidize it through ads as your are dialing or through ads on the lock screen, something like that. If it's $300 and is unsubsidized it will be the same as iPhone to me, and in that case iPhone will win.
  • Reply 43 of 141
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I wonder why Apple iPhone fans are so concerned about Android splintering. Apple fans aren't likely to buy them. It's almost as if people are trading talking points for when iPhone fans talk to others.
  • Reply 44 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

Which means you just don't understand what fragmentation means.

Or he is talking about hardware fragmentation when eveyone else is talking about os fragmentation.
  • Reply 45 of 141
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Nexus One?

What sort of moronic megalomaniac name is this?

Wait let me check my messages on my nexus one...

Honey have you seen my nexus one?

Nexus, plexus, sexus, time to re-read the fabulous Henry Miller.

Actually it's from Blade Runner. The number represents a generation/model.

Quote:

In Blade Runner, the Nexus series of replicants – genetically engineered by the Tyrell Corporation – are virtually identical to an adult human being, but have superior strength, agility, a wider temperature range tolerance, and variable intelligence depending on the model. The Nexus-6 series is said to have been made for superior strength and agility, for use in off-world mining colonies.

Early in the 21st Century, THE TYRELL CORPORATION advanced Robot evolution into the NEXUS phase -- a being virtually identical to a human -- known as a replicant. The NEXUS 6 Replicants were superior in strength and agility, and at least equal in intelligence, to the genetic engineers who created them. Replicants were used Off-world as slave labor, in the hazardous exploration and colonisation of other planets. After a bloody mutiny by a NEXUS 6 combat team in an Off-world colony, Replicants were declared illegal on earth -- under penalty of death. Special police squads -- BLADE RUNNER UNITS -- had orders to shoot to kill, upon detection, any trespassing Replicants.

This was not called execution. It was called retirement.

• Reply 46 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I wonder why Apple iPhone fans are so concerned about Android splintering. Apple fans aren't likely to buy them. It's almost as if people are trading talking points for when iPhone fans talk to others.

When An Apple fansite posts Google news (constantly) that has little, if anything to do with the iPhone, Android discussions are going to happen.

But I agree, Jeff, I won't be buying a Google phone anyway, so . . .
  • Reply 47 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Actually it's from Bladerunner.

Blade Runner = glorious filmmaking.

You won't find films like that these days . . . The blu-ray edition of the Final Cut is a masterpiece, but I find that the beginning of the Director's Cut has a bit more charm.

Anyway, off-topic . . .
  • Reply 48 of 141
    Google's Nexus One phone rumored coming to T-Mobile...

Noooooooooo...

Want iPhone to come to T-Mobile... Plleeeeaaaaassssssseeeeeee...
  • Reply 49 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

When An Apple fansite posts Google news (constantly) that has little, if anything to do with the iPhone, Android discussions are going to happen.

True enough. Sometimes I don't know what the writers are thinking. It may be part not much news on actual Apple products, and a desire to cover the competitors. Some reasons why Apple is preferred doesn't say much unless you know the competitors.
  • Reply 50 of 141
    I get it, this is all part of the spread of Apple's relentless pussification of technology. Like Tinky-Winky's purse this one-button stuff needs to stop now. How the hell am I going to press ctrl+alt+delete on this thing?
  • Reply 51 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Blade Runner = glorious filmmaking.

You won't find films like that these days . . . The blu-ray edition of the Final Cut is a masterpiece, but I find that the beginning of the Director's Cut has a bit more charm.

Anyway, off-topic . . .

I enjoyed the 3.5 hour making of on the BRD. It was undoubtedly more enjoyable than the film itself. Overall, I don’t care for Blade Runner. I absolutely love many, many aspects of it but the story was dull. Just watched The Road last night and had the same feeling of a well done movie that has a very dull storyline which a flat plot.
  • Reply 52 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surfonium View Post

Droid will put up a strong fight.

Just like Pre, the first Droid phones, and all the other iPhone killers out there?

Meanwhile, they're bragging because Pre will sell 600,000 phones this quarter (down 30% from the previous quarter) while Apple will sell 10,000,000 iPhones.

So far, none of these alleged 'iphone killers' have had anything to recommend them.

Quote:

I wonder why Apple iPhone fans are so concerned about Android splintering.

I don't know. Why are Android fans so obsessed with killing the iPhone?
  • Reply 53 of 141
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Or he is talking about hardware fragmentation when eveyone else is talking about os fragmentation.

Actually, this is a meaningless statement.

"Fragmentation" always refers to platform fragmentation. A platform is fragmented when multiple versions of the OS exist or multiple versions of hardware exist that can only run one or the other versions or subsets of the OS. It's basically software determined even in the hardware case, because different hardware that can all run the same software is just platform "differentiation," not fragmentation. Case in point is all the different hardware that can run Linux.

As long as there continues to be no standard release of Android, it will be fragmented. As long as the hardware is all different and each can only run parts of the whole software stack, it will remain fragmented.

You could argue that the iPhone platform is also ever so slightly fragmented in that a regular 3G iPhone only runs OS 3.1 very badly and only under certain conditions (at least a GB of free space), but it's such a tiny and minor point that it's almost inconsequential.
  • Reply 54 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't know. Why are Android fans so obsessed with killing the iPhone?

Are they?
  • Reply 55 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Works on 3G networks abroad. Still technically a 3G phone.

So your response is to parse, talk out your ass and punt to the rest of the world?
  • Reply 56 of 141
    Quote:

Are they?

Maybe not so much here, but boy are they rabid on other sites.
  • Reply 57 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

If it?s a concern it?s more from an objective, technical PoV. I?m currently happy with my iPhone and likely will be in the future, but I like that there is a decent competitor to the iPhone to help push Apple along and there are several aspects to Android that I hope to see implemented with v4.0.

That doesn?t preclude me from not liking Android?s inability remain a single, stable entity with so much simultaneous, parallel development platforms emerging, as opposed to the iPhone?s YoY updates to the HW, OS and SDK feature sets. Within a couple years this could be a huge mess for vendors, developers and consumers.
  • Reply 58 of 141
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masstrkiller View Post

In the next 5 years there will probably be 50 different types of Google phones out there ranging from $30 to $350 and Google will be on the rise. They have the opportunity of market dominance because they are setting things up like the PC and windows did in the 1980's.

Where will Apple be? Will we see the $50 iPhone? How will Apple pull this off?

As Steve Jobs so eloquently put it - "I wasn't alive then, but from what I've heard, Babe Ruth only had one home run... He just kept hitting it over and over again."
  • Reply 59 of 141
    msfmsf Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

This is good news for AT&T. Yet another media-hungry phone on their network. I am sure they will love that!

I'm sure this will also bode well for us AT&T iPhone users who are already used to slow-asssssss network speeds. With another hungry passenger on board, I doubt it's going to get better anytime soon.

That is, unless AT&T prevents the Google Phone from boarding their network train.

I tested the Motorola Droid and it is a fantastic device. My two gripes are the slide-out keyboard and some touch screen issues. Sometimes I had to "touch" twice to get the action to work. If I had to be on VerizonWireless I would be using that phone. That being said, I really like the Android OS and I am hoping one comes to AT&T. If they block the device, I am packing up my four lines, loading up the truck, and moving to Beverly"

One thing I discovered is AT&T customer service really does suck. Their network speeds are faster that Verizon though, this may change when 4G comes out.
  • Reply 60 of 141
    msfmsf Posts: 20member
    One more thing, as you would expect, the Gmail / Google Apps integration is fantastic.

This alone could draw users. I wish the iPhone had this tight Gmail integration.