Apple CEO Steve Jobs named finalist for Time Person of the Year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Time magazine will announce its annual Person of the Year this week, and the magazine has revealed its top seven finalists, with Apple co-founder Steve Jobs making the cut.

The magazine issued its narrowed list this week, prior to the reveal scheduled to be made Wednesday on NBC's Today Show. In addition to Jobs, the finalists are President Barack Obama, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernake, U.S. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, Olympic gold medalist Usain Bolt, and "the Chinese worker."

While Time's editors have already made their decision, readers are encouraged to chime in by voting for their selection.

Jobs was named CEO of the Decade by Fortune in November. The publication heralded Jobs for his role in turning Apple into a groundbreaking leader in the technology realm, and for making his company the most valuable in all of Silicon Valley.

Those same accomplishments were acknowledged by Time as "pros" for is being named Person of the Year. The magazine also noted that the iPhone App Store surpassed a billion downloads (2 billion as of September). Users can rank each person's importance, and as of Monday afternoon, Jobs carried a score of 49 out of 100.

The magazine also listed reasons why Jobs should not be named Person of the Year: His health problems keeping him away from the company for six months of 2009, AT&T's network instability, and the arrival of competitors like the Palm Pre and devices with Google Android.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    This will only reinforce the cult of Jobs and comfort him in his delusional belief that he is the only person who deserves any credit for what has been accomplished by Apple.

Try to convince him to leave after that or tell him that he doesn't deserve illegal stock options to the extent of over a billion dollars for mismanaging Apple in the way he did, reflecting his high school degree qualifications for the jobs of CEO and President of Apple, inc. Try that, if you can.

• Reply 2 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

This will only reinforce the cult of Jobs and comfort him in his delusional belief that he is the only person who deserves any credit for what has been accomplished by Apple.

Try to convince him to leave after that or tell him that he doesn't deserve illegal stock options to the extent of over a billion dollars for mismanaging Apple in the way he did, reflecting his high school degree qualifications for the jobs of CEO and President of Apple, inc. Try that, if you can.

Yeah, it couldn't have anything to do with him surviving a liver transplant and his company being one of the few to totally kick the recession's behind.

And where did he ever state his "delusional belief that his is the only person who deserves any credit for what has been accomplished by Apple?" What a load of BS.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Are you an ex-girlfriend or something?

I don't think Apple shareholders have much to complain about under Jobs' tenure. And the customers seem pretty happy, too. Person of the year, though? I think Bernake probably had more influence on the world than any of the others this year.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The magazine also listed reasons why Jobs should not be named Person of the Year: His health problems keeping him away from the company for six months of 2009, AT&T's network instability, and the arrival of competitors like the Palm Pre and devices with Google Android.

How do these take away from his achievements? Health? AT&T's network? Competitors? I don't get it?
  • Reply 5 of 56
    Quote:

Speaking of "high school qualifications", your response and grammar reflects such qualifications.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

SJ took a border-line failing company and turned it into (arguably) one of the biggest players in the media industry (including Pixar / Disney). He changed the rules of the entrenched big players. He changed the way phones are perceived. He came back from near-death cancer / liver transplant being more focused than ever.

Your opinion would have had even a shred of non-trolling had you not brought up his high-school qualifications. You have a disturbingly high-standard as to what constitutes success. That being said, back up your belief by comparing your education / net-worth with other "college dropouts" like Steve Jobs and oh... Bill Gates? Show me an article of any kind listing your success and global impacts. I suspect you'll be very silent for the rest of this thread.

Even if he doesn't make the final cut, SJ earned his success.

Troll elsewhere...
  • Reply 7 of 56
    STEVE LOVES APPLE & APPLE LOVES STEVE.... I HOPE HE GETS THE AWARD, HE'S DONE SO MUCH FOR APPLE EVER SINCE HIS RETURN.... WHAT A GREAT ACHIEVER AND VISIONARY FOR APPLE TO HAVE

He's by far the core of the company and I hope whenever he leaves (Which I pray NEVER HAPPENS) that he's groomed the next visionary for the company, that will do things to grow apple even more. People at apple should always first think " What Would Jobs Do? " before they embark on the next great idea.

STEVE FOR LIFE, APPLE FOREVER!
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Quote:

Moderator Please??? Troll in the house ... Or like the OP said, an Ex-Girlfriend who's spewing venom and not know what he/she is talking about.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    Quote:

99.9%, yes.

Thank God, though, that his team thinks like he does.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    My choice is between Jobs and the "Chinese worker," since the two are inextricably linked.

Both the overall state of the economy and the war in Afghanistan are stories that have stretched from last year into this one, so they are fairly tired, and Obama already got his TIME cover last year.

Apple's success in general, and in this economy specifically, is one of the great untold stories of this economy. Yes, those of us who frequent AppleInsider are overly aware of this, but the average Joe on the street really isn't, even if they have browsed an Apple store this Christmas season. And Steve Jobs' health issues give the story an even more compelling personal angle.

At the same time, the dark underside of the economy is cheap Chinese labor, from which Apple also benefits, and because this cheap labor has a serious effect on global wages, trade and the ability of the US to recover economically, it's a story worth covering as well.

It really boils down to whether TIME wants their choice of Person of the Year to be an upbeat or downbeat story.

GTSC
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Quote:

In addition to Jobs, the finalists are President Barack Obama, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernake, U.S. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, Olympic gold medalist Usain Bolt, and "the Chinese worker."

What an aweful short list... too many of those are polarizing. I am "left wing" but even I can see that Nancy Pelosi is just ridiculous. Obama would be far too cheesy, not to mention politically polarizing, Fed Reserve Chairman... give me a break, you might as well give it to Goldman Sachs... Usain Bolt? Maybe... seems a bit random for sporting greats.

I think Jobs is an interesting candidate, overcoming his health problems and still leading the charge at Apple... are we really this short of heros though?
  • Reply 12 of 56
    The cons are unfair. His health is not his fault, although it does keep him inactive, so I can see the logic.

But as for the other two: AT&T is a different company and the late arrival of competitors is outside of his control, and, additionally, the iPhone continues to sell well in face of that.

I'm not sure he should be man of the year, but, really, are those the only cons?
  • Reply 13 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I can’t help but not care who Time Magazine chooses.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    What the hell those choices are awful! It must be quite bad for anyone to be alongside those choices...

Then again, not many heroes appeared in this first decade...
  • Reply 15 of 56
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    It's going to be Obama, put it in the bank.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

It's going to be Obama, put it in the bank.

Agreed. Anyone that can win the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing can certainly win Time's Person of the Year award.

-kpluck
  • Reply 17 of 56
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I would point out that Time's Man of the Year isn't "who's your hero," It is the person who epitomizes the biggest news of the year. Frankly, using that criteria none of those finalists if a good choice. The American Worker (i.e., the economy) was the biggest story by far. With Tiger's affairs a close second apparently
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Why should anyone give a rat's kiester what Time thinks?
  • Reply 19 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I wish I could take half the year off for sickness and still get named guy of the year. He's great and all that, but he shouldn't win in this year.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Agreed. Anyone that can win the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing can certainly win Time's Person of the Year award.

-kpluck

It's not even going to be close, SJ has no chance. I bet $5 says the cover is already designed with Obama on the front...