Apple named 'Brand of the Decade' by Adweek

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple received top honors in six categories in Adweek's ?Best of the 2000s? advertising awards, including ?Brand of the Decade? and ?Marketer of the Decade? for Steve Jobs.

Naming Apple the "Brand of the Decade," AdweekMedia attributes the brand's success to Steve Jobs, calling Apple ?the embodiment of a living, breathing person.? Jobs was named "Marketer of the Decade" and is credited with relaunching the Apple brand with the ?Think Different? ad campaign. Apple's CEO is described as being visionary, iconoclastic, and fearless. Jobs is also up for Time's Person of the Year and was named ?CEO of the Decade? by Fortune in November.

With 220 million iPods sold worldwide, Apple's music player was named ?Product of the Decade? and is compared to the Walkman in terms of cultural impact.

Two of Apple's iconic ad campaigns are represented on the list, with the ?Get a Mac? ads winning ?Campaign of the Decade? and ?Silhouettes? winning ?Out-of-Home Ad of the Decade.?

The phenomenal success of the ?Get a Mac? campaign is attributed to the ads' ability of allowing viewers to identify and connect emotionally with technology coupled with spot on casting. The ?Silhouettes? campaign achieves what is nearly impossible according to Adweek: defining a product without actually showing what it looked like up close.

Nike Plus was named ?Digital Campaign of the Decade,? calling the concept ?a product experience that reinforces the brand message.?

Apple fell just short of winning ?Digital Company of the Decade? and was bested only by Google. Google also won ?Media Company of the Decade.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Kudos to Phil and the marketing dept.

I'm shocked by the Nike+ award.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Media Company of the Decade

Digital Company of the Decade

Goes to...

GOOGLE!

http://www.bestofthe2000s.com/media-...he-decade.html
  • Reply 3 of 48
    If this had been determined at the beginning of the decade Apple wouldn't even have been an afterthought. Interesting how much cultural relevance they were able to gain in roughly 6-7 years. I put that figure at less than 10 years since Apple really didn't get interesting until the 20 GB iPod hit the streets with firewire + USB combined with iTunes for Windows.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    This should put to rest any doubts about the effectiveness of Apple's advertising.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This should put to rest any doubts about the effectiveness of Apple's advertising.

I'm not sure what doubts those are(?) It seems to me the question (criticism) has always been that Apple is nothing BUT effective advertising. You know; lemmings blah blah. Masses swayed by slick adverts blah blah. I'm an idiot blah blah.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    does adweek have a magazine still? and if so, is steve on the cover?
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I'm not sure what doubts those are(?) It seems to me the question (criticism) has always been that Apple is nothing BUT effective advertising. You know; lemmings blah blah. Masses swayed by slick adverts blah blah. I'm an idiot blah blah.

Well, idiots that on average, occupy a demographic that tends to have more education, professional training, and more disposable income. If Paul Thurrott is any authority, and to many MS fans '"Mr. Windows" is quite an authority, then my sig also lends some credence to the high probability that among the average computer-using population (and you don't need to be tech-savvy to be a successful individual) Mac users tend to be the most informed.

In fact, the lemmings out there tend to be Windows users - the likes of which we've seen in the Laptop Hunter ads. MS painted its own demographic in the most uncomplimentary way! MS tends to run on inertia and ignorance, which in turn tends to produce the arcetypal frustrated Windows user, with Macs being the "smarter" alternative.

In any case, the Mac-using demographic tends to appear different (on however many levels) than the Windows-using one.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:

I never had any doubts, and I have not been surprised that they've run for so long. Why else would Apple do that if they were not effective?

This is a good bit of vindication for them in my mind against all the fools who've been "bored" with the ads and whining about how Apple should replace them.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:

Well, idiots that on average, occupy a demographic that tends to have more education, professional training, and more disposable income. If Paul Thurrott is any authority, and to many MS fans '"Mr. Windows" is quite an authority, then my sig also lends some credence to the high probability that among the average computer-using population (and you don't need to be tech-savvy to be a successful individual) Mac users tend to be the most informed.

In fact, the lemmings out there tend to be Windows users - the likes of which we've seen in the Laptop Hunter ads. MS painted its own demographic in the most uncomplimentary way! MS tends to run on inertia and ignorance, which in turn tends to produce the arcetypal frustrated Windows user, with Macs being the "smarter" alternative.

In any case, the Mac-using demographic tends to appear different (on however many levels) than the Windows-using one.

Hate to burst your bubble but for 2009 - Most Talked-About Brand: Microsoft

http://www.adweek.com/aw/content_dis...1055465bee5683

If you're talking current and relevant information then Microsoft has it.

Same survey that this article is about.

It's all about "what have you done for me lately". Microsoft seems to have it for 2009.

Edit: Quote from Article as long as you're post talks about Laura, Laptop Hunter.

"Google displaced Microsoft as the lead last year, but this year, the tech giant took the No. 1 spot due to aggressive advertising. These marketing efforts include the “Laptop Hunters” ad from agency Crispin, Porter + Bogusky, and a major push ahead of its Bing search engine debut. Bloggers often used terms such as “easy,” “efficient” and “better” in their online discussions about Microsoft, said Zeta Interactive CEO Al DiGuido."
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

It's all about "what have you done for me lately". Microsoft seems to have it for 2009.

Good for 2009. But Apple's won the awards, for the "decade", not for a single year. Where was MS the rest of the time? No doubt the fact that MS finally got their core competency right after 6+ years was seen as something astoundingly positive.

You're not bursting my bubble, you're confirming the article.

From your source:

Bloggers often used terms such as “easy,” “efficient” and “better” in their online discussions about Microsoft

Yup. Elation over Windows 7, going as far back as the Beta. Relief over Windows sucking less is about as positive as you can get. MS gets the "Thank God it's not Vista!" award here.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:

Uhh... I guess I wasn't clear with my comment, because I definitely did not understand your response.

Love your Thurrott quote sig. though.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Uhh... I guess I wasn't clear with my comment, because I definitely did not understand your response.

Love your Thurrott quote sig. though.

Well in a way I was agreeing with you and just discussing the subject further.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:

Good for 2009. But Apple's won the awards, for the "decade", not for a single year. Where was MS the rest of the time? No doubt the fact that MS finally got their core competency right after 6+ years was seen as something astoundingly positive.

You're not bursting my bubble, you're confirming the article.

From your source:

Bloggers often used terms such as “easy,” “efficient” and “better” in their online discussions about Microsoft

Yup. Elation over Windows 7, going as far back as the Beta. Relief over Windows sucking less is about as positive as you can get. MS gets the "Thank God it's not Vista!" award here.

Just as long as it doens't disturb you...

The same site picked Rush Limbaugh - Radio Personality of the Decade

They have to be legitimate /sarcasm.

http://www.bestofthe2000s.com/radio-...he-decade.html
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

The same site picke Rush Limbaugh - Radio Personality of the Decade

Again, read your own article:

Love him (as his "dittohead" fans do) or hate him (as every liberal does), no radio host or personality comes close to Rush Limbaugh in size of audience or volume of political discourse. The man manages to stay in the headlines no matter who's in the White House or who's gunning for him.

In that respect their choice makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:

http://www.adweek.com/aw/content_dis...1055465bee5683."

Being talked about is all well and good, but I would rather be the company that sells a lot, which is what  is doing.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

The same site picked Rush Limbaugh - Radio Personality of the Decade

Rush Limbaugh, also a Mac user. Thats as far as my praise goes for the man.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

There might be hope for him yet!

Nah . . .
  • Reply 18 of 48
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Edit: Quote from Article as long as you're post talks about Laura, Laptop Hunter.

"Google displaced Microsoft as the lead last year, but this year, the tech giant took the No. 1 spot due to aggressive advertising. These marketing efforts include the “Laptop Hunters” ad from agency Crispin, Porter + Bogusky, and a major push ahead of its Bing search engine debut. Bloggers often used terms such as “easy,” “efficient” and “better” in their online discussions about Microsoft, said Zeta Interactive CEO Al DiGuido."

was waiting to see how many comments before some MS fanboy/Apple hater jumped into this thread to rain on what most anyone would have to agree was a deserved honor for Apple marketing. just took 10.

the essential idea that prizes for "__ of the decade" are intended precisely NOT to reflect the "last thing you saw/heard" syndrome seems not to have occurred to Young Mr. Angus.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Apple Fixes Rush Limbaugh's Mac After He Complains On-Air

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/apple...ns-on-air.html

Quote from Story

"Conservative talk-show host Rush Limbaugh was having problems with his Mac. A program called Time Machine wasn't restoring his emails properly and repeated calls to Apple Support were fruitless. Based on complaints in online forums, he wasn't the only one either. So finally he complained about it on-air and that caught Apple's attention enough to assign an engineer to go fix it (the guy had to delete the "null mail folder" and rebuild it in the internal directory with the terminal command). That's the power of leveraging your voice . But you don't need to have your own radio show, just deploy some of the technique that we deSscribed in "The Ultimate Consumerist Guide to Fighting Back" or in our interview with Ron Burley to get real customer satisfaction."

That is one satisfied user. Glad he's on Apple's side! You can have him. Thank You for pointing this out. I never would have guessed.

I would also suspect that Sarah Palin is a Mac user. You betchya.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

was waiting to see how many comments before some MS fanboy/Apple hater jumped into this thread to rain on what most anyone would have to agree was a deserved honor for Apple marketing. just took 10.

the essential idea that prizes for "__ of the decade" are intended precisely NOT to reflect the "last thing you saw/heard" syndrome seems not to have occurred to Young Mr. Angus.

Maybe not, but it does to the demographics that Apple is targeting.