Toshiba announces 64GB NAND flash chip, likely iPhone bound

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

Please elaborate, I always feel hampered by the scrollwheel trying to find a specific song, for example.

I have 19,000 songs on my Classic, and I don't have a problem with the scroll wheel.

But mainly what bothers me about the Touch is that there's no way to change tracks without looking at the device, unless you use the crappy Apple headphones with remote. Hell, you can't even pause the song without looking at the device. And if you pause the song, you can't continue playing again without quitting whatever other app you might be in. Also, you can't play music videos continuously when you output to TV, so you can't use the Touch as a music video jukebox (it works just fine with the Classic).

Generally what I do on a commute is listen to music on the Classic while I use apps on the Touch. Works great.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I have 19,000 songs on my Classic, and I don't have a problem with the scroll wheel.

But mainly what bothers me about the Touch is that there's no way to change tracks without looking at the device, unless you use the crappy Apple headphones with remote.

Okay, yeah, that's a valid use issue I hadn't thought about.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Thinking maybe touch. I tried to use my phone as a playback device, bought the cables and all. It worked great until I got a call.

Why not put it on Airplane Mode when using it as a playback device?
  • Reply 24 of 75
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Alright. 64 gig Verizon iPhone! Bring it on.

I would advocate that CDMA needs to die. The rest of the world uses GSM. The ability to buy and pop in a local sim in a different country is priceless. If Apple builds a phone for Verizon, it better be dual CDMA/GSM.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenkman91 View Post

DOWN WITH AT&T!!!!

Iphone USERS, HELP BRING AT&T'S NETWORK TO ITS KNEES THIS FRIDAY AT 12:00pm PST... IF YOU HAVE AN iPhone RUN THE MOST DATA INTENSIVE APP YOU HAVE OVER THE 3G NETWORK FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN... REMEMBER, ITS THIS FRIDAY AT 12:00pm PST, 3:00pm EASTERN

HELP SPREAD THE WORD!

( I am not a troll, I am just trying to spread the word)

No! Why would you do this? What will this accomplish?

Read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/bu...sq=AT&T&st=cse
  • Reply 26 of 75
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

But mainly what bothers me about the Touch is that there's no way to change tracks without looking at the device, unless you use the crappy Apple headphones with remote. Hell, you can't even pause the song without looking at the device. And if you pause the song, you can't continue playing again without quitting whatever other app you might be in. Also, you can't play music videos continuously when you output to TV, so you can't use the Touch as a music video jukebox (it works just fine with the Classic).

Generally what I do on a commute is listen to music on the Classic while I use apps on the Touch. Works great.

You can hit the home button twice to bring up the iPod controls. Works when the phone is locked and in most apps. In time you wont need to look at the screen to hit the next track button.

The lack of physical iPod controls was one of the biggest worries I had, thus far it hasn't been a big deal. I'd still like to have physical iPod controls somewhere though.

Edit: You can get non-apple headphones with a remote, and you can even get an adapter with a remote that will let you use any headphones you want now, so the point is largely moot now anyway.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

No! Why would you do this? What will this accomplish?

Read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/bu...sq=AT&T&st=cse

It's not problem with the iPhone. It's AT&T's network.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No Network, despite their claims, would have been able to handle the bandwidth demand from iPhone users; the number of users is just staggering.

Apple has changed the way people use their phones and AT&T was clearly not prepared for the iPhone's success, but no network really is. I guarantee you that if the iPhone some how switches to Verizon, it will cripple their network because a) existing iPhone users will switch because they are unhappy with AT&T; b) those that won't get the iPhone because they have heard bad things from AT&T and are Sprint or T-Mobile costumers will switch and c) existing Verizon customers will switch because the iPhone is now on their networks. Do the math; Verizon can?t handle all this demand.

I'm an iPhone user who lives in NYC, my service isn?t great as it is, I don't need anyone else to make it worse. I've travel to other cities in the US, and the service has been exceptional. AT&T needs to improve its network in markets where demand is the highest (NYC and San Francisco), but crippling the network will screw those iPhone users who get really good service.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You can hit the home button twice to bring up the iPod controls.

Yes I know that. But read my post. If you pause the track, and go back into your app, you no longer have this option to resume playback. That's dumb, and it's simply something that works better with the Classic/Nano.

Quote:

Edit: You can get non-apple headphones with a remote, and you can even get an adapter with a remote that will let you use any headphones you want now, so the point is largely moot now anyway.

Can I get any headphones with remote that have a short cord (that's a deal killer for me if only a long cord is available)? And I have headphones i love already. Why should I buy yet another pair?

And I cannot buy the only adapter available (Scosche) here, and I can't currently buy anything on the internet.

I don't have a problem carrying two devices. If I lost my Classic or it broke, and my only other option were to use my Touch for playback, I'd be severely disappointed, regardless of the capacity.

But as I said before, a high capacity (128GB or more) Nano would be awesome.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Thinking maybe touch. I tried to use my phone as a playback device, bought the cables and all. It worked great until I got a call.

Just put your phone in "airplane mode."
  • Reply 31 of 75
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Why would it be crazy expensive? Didn't the 32GB iPhone 3GS debut at the same price point as the previous 16GB iPhone 3G?

Same goes for the 64GB iPod touch 3G vs the 32GB iPod touch 2G.

That due to having to stack twice as many chips on the module. That is if the chips use the same tech as last years modules.

Dave
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Correct. The problem is AT&T, not Apple. iPhone users outside of the United States have a markedly better user experience.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Just put your phone in "airplane mode."

Um... some people actually like to have the option of receiving calls while they watch videos, without the call interrupting playback.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Quote:

Correct. The problem is AT&T, not Apple. iPhone users outside of the United States have a markedly better user experience.

But what will crippling the network accomplish?
  • Reply 35 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Um... some people actually like to have the option of receiving calls while they watch videos, without the call interrupting playback.

That doesn?t make any sense. Unless you are watching a silent film then any phone call is going to interrupt playback. Having both the audio from the video and the audio from the phone call being pumped at the same time or having the audio of the video cut out so you can watch the video without sound while on a call aren?t normal activities the average consumer would want.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Current Lineup

$199 8GB slow

$299 32GB fast

$399 64GB fast

Next Lineup

$199 16GB fast

$299 32GB fast + camera

$399 64GB fast + camera
  • Reply 37 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

But what will crippling the network accomplish?

I did not suggest to cripple the network. Please do not put words into my mouth. Thank you.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Quote:

Get an iPod touch and a dumbphone. It works great for me! :-P
  • Reply 39 of 75
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

I'd expect these to show up in the Apple Tablet first.

Most likely four at a time. 256GB would be a minimal requirement for some in a tablet. The other thing is lower cost secondary storage devices. That means SSD devices, USB dongles and the like.

In any event if Apple makes a tablet with four sites on the PC board for flash then that tablet could come with multiple storage capacity sizes. Well they better offer up models with lots of storage, as I don't buy into the idea of cloud storage. The cloud might have some reason to exist in the future but it won't be accessable everywhere. Since a tablet can go any where it can't rely on the cloud or a network connection.

Frankly based on my experience with iPhone or cell phones in general you absolutely need local storage. Lots of storage actually as I'm often having to trim what is stored on my iPhone.

Dave
  • Reply 40 of 75
    Quote:

Get an iPod touch and a dumbphone. It works great for me! :-P

Yes, that's what I have.