Details on Intel's potential Mac Pro 6-core i7 processor leaked

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can’t see how multiple cores can be bad. We have GPUs and Supercomputers sporting a lot more than 8-cores. Any limitation seems to be from our OS and apps at this point.

Other things being equal, i.e. assuming that the OS/apps can handle multiple cores properly, it depends on the task. In order to benefit from multiple cores/threads the job needs to be sliced-and-diced, the pieces processed separately, then the results reassembled in a meaningful way. For that to be effective the individual elements need to be minimally interdependent. If they're not then it's ineffective to process them separately.

Multiple cores work well for tasks like 3D rendering or for video processing. Video compression on the other hand also requires continuous analysis of frame-to-frame differences, so subdividing the job isn't as effective.

That's why when we see benchmark results of multi-core Macs the results can be all over the place, depending on the nature of the particular test. For some people a higher clock speed may be better than more cores, for others not.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    So when can I start seeing this or even quad-core in my regular Macbook Pro?
  • Reply 23 of 49
    But will it run Crysis?
  • Reply 24 of 49
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But will it run Crysis?

Not yet...maybe December 22nd 2012
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

especially if lightpeak makes its debut.

Mmmmm.... Light Peak. But I think it's too soon. I have nothing to base that on, I just think it is.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think it's inevitable that performance will be hampered and this IMO is primarily due to limited memory bandwidth and latency issues once we move to 8+ cores and there's also the software inefficiencis.

Thankfully Intel has been working dilligently to improve multithreading capabilities in not only their CPU but also their development tools with Intel Thread Building Blocks. They've also helped with memory bandwidth with their Quick Path Interconnects

Apple will continue to push Grand Central Dispatch and my hope is that most developers are onboard with GCD optimized software after 10.7.

Sandy Bridge is going to bring 8-core per socket so we're going to see 16 core 32 thread CPU in 2011. We'd better have the bus bandwidth and software smarts to keep as many cores fed as possible.

And Larabee will take over the GPGPU market.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    And it still won't be able to animate smoothly 2 dashboard widgets with a freaking GTX 285. That's some criminally negligent programming at Apple.

Running OS X on these is such a waste of perfectly good hardware.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

Well. Just bought a Mac Pro. Should have waited.

Can you ever really win? If you buy something between refreshes, the new one comes out the next week. If you are an early adopter, you have to deal with a bug or two until updates come out.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    I will probably get one of these. after I wait a bit to make sure there aren't any major problems...
  • Reply 30 of 49
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Debian Dog View Post

Woot I will wait till then to replace my old quad G5

Heh, woot, woot,

I'm waiting to replace my (very capable) old dual 2ghz G5.

• Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Not yet...maybe December 22nd 2012

Why would want to play that old game then where we all play us army at home.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Finally, a reason to buy a Mac Pro instead of an iMac i7.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    I can't wait to run Adobe Illustrator on one of these...

and watch it peg 1 CPU, while 11 sit idle.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Sorry, I was too lazy to dig up the link earlier. Here it is.

Not conclusive but certainly interesting reading. And yes, the problem is memory bandwidth.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Debian Dog View Post

Anyone who wonders why you need more than 8 cores has never worked with "real" HD footage in a large project in Final Cut. If there is a lot of rendering to be done... even 8 cores can takes hours to render minutes of footage.

I second that. There's nothing like sending a long HD project to Compressor and having to wait 20 hours to two days for all of the rendering to be done. Same with Color.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,Here are the most popular, most stylish and avantgarde shoes,handbags,Tshirts,jacket,Tracksuitw ect...

http://www.kkshoe.com /productlist.asp?id=s76(Tracksuit)

Christmas is approaching, your Christmas gifts ready?

kkshoe com mall for you, which involves a number of well-known brands from the Asia-Pacific region the trend of merchandise. Promotional discounts should be, come SHOPPING bar!Christmas sale, free shipping discounts are beautifully gift ,Christmas gifts,look, Best quality, Best reputation , Best services Service is our Lift.

Nike shox $35,Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

ugg boot,POLO hoody,Jacket,ect...

For details, please consult http://www.kkshoe.com

Thanks!!! Advance wish you a merry Christmas.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

And it still won't be able to animate smoothly 2 dashboard widgets with a freaking GTX 285. That's some criminally negligent programming at Apple.

What else should you run?
  • Reply 38 of 49
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But will it run Crysis?

what can run CRYSIS by the way ??
  • Reply 39 of 49
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeputyRob View Post

Quit being a troll AND a jerk. All you're going to do is flood the network for the rest of us.

is that you TS ??
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

If that animates smoothly on the MacBook Pro I have I guess it should do the same on Mac Pro with GTX 285 graphics.