Toshiba announces 64GB NAND flash chip, likely iPhone bound

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That doesn’t make any sense. Unless you are watching a silent film then any phone call is going to interrupt playback. Having both the audio from the video and the audio from the phone call being pumped at the same time or having the audio of the video cut out so you can watch the video without sound while on a call aren’t normal activities the average consumer would want.

Did you ever watch a video with someone else or are you a complete loner? When you get a call do you tell your friend to hold on while you pause the video, or do you tell the caller you will call them back later, without stopping the video so that your friend can continue their enjoyment?

To say that my statement makes no sense is short sighted. There are many reasons people would want to be available for calls while they are watching a film. At least they would want the option to know that a call is coming in. What if it's an emergency call and the other party gets your voicemail?
  • Reply 42 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It should be the same price as the current 32 GB offering. And more importantly, we can expect the current 32 GB iPhone and 64 GB touch can drop in price to today's 16/32 GB prices. I could maybe squeeze my content onto a 64 GB touch, but not at $399. Drop that to $299 and it becomes a better option.

And I don't think it would be that hard to start feeling cramped in 32 GB of storage considering some of the apps you can get... download a navigation app and all if it's maps and a couple of the other professional reference apps (such as medical and pharmacy references that are available for people in those professions), then loading even a normal-sized library of iTunes content and you could start running short of space.

Granted, it's not for everyone, but I wouldn't even consider a touch that had less than 64 GB of storage.

And don't forget, that Apple tablet is probably going to need higher capacities.

I second that. I have been waiting to replace my 20GB 4th gen ipod. with either a touch or phone...but I have been waiting it out for larger storage capacities and maybe another carrier other than AT&T.. why doesnt Apple cut deals with all the major carriers (here in the US), so the iPhone could work with all of them?
  • Reply 43 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

I second that. I have been waiting to replace my 20GB 4th gen ipod. with either a touch or phone...but I have been waiting it out for larger storage capacities and maybe another carrier other than AT&T.. why doesnt Apple cut deals with all the major carriers (here in the US), so the iPhone could work with all of them?

Because Apple demands concessions (autonomy over things like voicemail, network access etc) that providers like Verizon were leery of doing. Now that the iPhone is a huge success Apple can pretty much move to other providers and they'll have to cede Apple's wishes for the most part because the iPhone on their network gives them enhanced visibility and marketability.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yes I know that. But read my post. If you pause the track, and go back into your app, you no longer have this option to resume playback. That's dumb, and it's simply something that works better with the Classic/Nano.

Can I get any headphones with remote that have a short cord (that's a deal killer for me if only a long cord is available)? And I have headphones i love already. Why should I buy yet another pair?

And I cannot buy the only adapter available (Scosche) here, and I can't currently buy anything on the internet.

I don't have a problem carrying two devices. If I lost my Classic or it broke, and my only other option were to use my Touch for playback, I'd be severely disappointed, regardless of the capacity.

But as I said before, a high capacity (128GB or more) Nano would be awesome.

Just pointing out the options. Yes Apples implementation of the iPod controls isn't perfect. If you really want something off the internet, there are tons of pre-paid credit cards in stores.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Because Apple demands concessions (autonomy over things like voicemail, network access etc) that providers like Verizon were leery of doing. Now that the iPhone is a huge success Apple can pretty much move to other providers and they'll have to cede Apple's wishes for the most part because the iPhone on their network gives them enhanced visibility and marketability.

So then do you think Apple will add Verizon and still keep a deal with AT&T then? That would be good for competition.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Did you ever watch a video with someone else or are you a complete loner?

I never watch a video with multiple people on my iPhone. It?s a personal device.

Quote:

When you get a call do you tell your friend to hold on while you pause the video, or do you tell the caller you will call them back later, without stopping the video so that your friend can continue their enjoyment?

It?s a 3.5? device with a very select options for audio output. I?m not going to hold a conversation while they are trying to watch a video and listen to audio. It interrupts them and I can?t give my attention to the person on the other end. Either ignore the call or take the call.

Quote:

To say that my statement makes no sense is short sighted. There are many reasons people would want to be available for calls while they are watching a film. At least they would want the option to know that a call is coming in. What if it's an emergency call and the other party gets your voicemail?

Again, it?s rude to hold a phone call when someone is watching the video with you especially when that means they are also sharing the video?s audio and your phone call?s audio. That it rude to both other parties.

I cannot fathom why you think this would be a normal behaviour pattern for people. Even when I am at home in front of a huge HDTV with its own sound system I am not so rude as take a call during with it on when other people are watching. If it?s important I?ll leave the room or I?ll pause the video to take the call. That is normal behaviour. If you feel your idea has merit then build an app that does just that and sell it.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

So then do you think Apple will add Verizon and still keep a deal with AT&T then? That would be good for competition.

Yeah ...I think Verizon will have the iPhone by end of 2010. Verizon's arrogant though and they're going to have to give Apple the concessions they need.

The move to 4G LTE (with Verizon leaving CDMA) means Apple hits multiple markets with the same iPhone hardware.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    These are good news for sure. But there's a pessimism here too.

Because if at 32nm they can manage 64gb, then I wonder if you are soon going to see a ceiling in flash nand memory storage. Surely, and correct me if i am wrong, but no one yet has manufactured anything at 22nm? So, it's not going to be an easy transition there, and even if in a years time we do have the 128gb, how much more can they fit to the form factor without a process shrink which is unlikely they will manage to go lower than 22 nm....

That said, I second everyone who said that with our media libraries and file libraries we desperately need more mobile storage.

And how about apple upgraded these ludicrously low mobileme gb limits...others are offering these types of storage for almost free, I think it's high time they doubled mobile me storage per user if you ask me...
  • Reply 49 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

These are good news for sure. But there's a pessimism here too.

Because if at 32nm they can manage 64gb, then I wonder if you are soon going to see a ceiling in flash nand memory storage. Surely, and correct me if i am wrong, but no one yet has manufactured anything at 22nm? So, it's not going to be an easy transition there, and even if in a years time we do have the 128gb, how much more can they fit to the form factor without a process shrink which is unlikely they will manage to go lower than 22 nm....

That said, I second everyone who said that with our media libraries and file libraries we desperately need more mobile storage.

And how about apple upgraded these ludicrously low mobileme gb limits...others are offering these types of storage for almost free, I think it's high time they doubled mobile me storage per user if you ask me...

22nm is the end of the road for CMOS technology so if the roadbumps come it'll be at 16nm and down because of the nanoelectronic transition.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    I don't think it's a given that it'll end up in the iPhone. If Apple's future is cloud based services then there's no need for a large capacity iPhone.

Now it would be great on a tablet.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I don't think it's a given that it'll end up in the iPhone. If Apple's future is cloud based services then there's no need for a large capacity iPhone.

I don?t see them as exclusive of each other. Users capacity habits have always been very different. I have always had the largest iPhone capacity, never using it all at first but within a few months of having the device running out of space. I have plenty of different media that I may not want local access to but will want on a cloud. I currently use it with iDisk on the iPhone. I?ll surely go for a 64GB iPhone next summer if it?s offered.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [CENTER]"640k of RAM ought to be enough for anyone"

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 53 of 75
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

I don?t see them as exclusive of each other. Users capacity habits have always been very different. I have always had the largest iPhone capacity, never using it all at first but within a few months of having the device running out of space. I have plenty of different media that I may not want local access to but will want on a cloud. I currently use it with iDisk on the iPhone. I?ll surely go for a 64GB iPhone next summer if it?s offered.

Exactly. Cloud does not mean local storage is dead.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    Quote:

I never watch a video with multiple people on my iPhone. It?s a personal device.

So your entire assertion, that it "doesn't make sense" is completely ignorant of the fact that some people output theit iPod to TV. Yeah, I guess in that context, it doesn't... except that even if you're atching by yourself, you want others to be able to contact you in an emergency, don't you?

Quote:

It?s a 3.5? device with a very select options for audio output. I?m not going to hold a conversation while they are trying to watch a video and listen to audio. It interrupts them and I can?t give my attention to the person on the other end. Either ignore the call or take the call.

And who said I wouldn't walk out of the room to take the call (to tell them I'll call them back)?

Quote:

Again, it?s rude to hold a phone call when someone is watching the video with you especially when that means they are also sharing the video?s audio and your phone call?s audio. That it rude to both other parties.

Again... output to TV... You're missing the entire point.

Quote:

I cannot fathom why you think this would be a normal behaviour pattern for people. Even when I am at home in front of a huge HDTV with its own sound system I am not so rude as take a call during with it on when other people are watching. If it?s important I?ll leave the room or I?ll pause the video to take the call. That is normal behaviour. If you feel your idea has merit then build an app that does just that and sell it.

Again, who on Earth said I wouldn't walk out of the room? But if all you have is an iPhone for playback -- you can't. That's my whole point. That it's dumb to suggest that someone can use an iPhone for playback if they turn it on airplane mode. Especially someone who says they "bought the cables and all", which implies very strongly that they're outputting to TV. That's my whole point. The iPod Touch would be a better option, and suggestions to turn it to airplane mode were silly, as even if you're watching the video by yourself, you'll want to have the option to take a call.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    Quote:

So your entire assertion, that it "doesn't make sense" is completely ignorant of the fact that some people output theit iPod to TV. Yeah, I guess in that context, it doesn't... except that even if you're atching by yourself, you want others to be able to contact you in an emergency, don't you?

And who said I wouldn't walk out of the room to take the call (to tell them I'll call them back)?

Again... output to TV... You're missing the entire point.

Again, who on Earth said I wouldn't walk out of the room? But if all you have is an iPhone for playback -- you can't. That's my whole point. That it's dumb to suggest that someone can use an iPhone for playback if they turn it on airplane mode. Especially someone who says they "bought the cables and all", which implies very strongly that they're outputting to TV. That's my whole point. The iPod Touch would be a better option, and suggestions to turn it to airplane mode were silly, as even if you're watching the video by yourself, you'll want to have the option to take a call.

1) You never stated you were using video out accessories so the reader can only assume you were using the 3.5” display with to without headphones. If you wanted to qualify the situation with accessories that don’t come with the device you should have stated it.

edit: I see you mentioned using A/V cables in earlier posts.

2) How can you "walk out of the room" if your device is connected to the TV? Are you suggesting that it’s common for people to have super long A/V cables that easily reach into other rooms? That doesn’t even being into question people connecting their iPhones to TVs for extended viewing.

3) Why should Apple ad an option that seemingly fits only your needs? There are lot of things I wish Apple would do to better fit my needs, but most of them are atypical so I am not scratching my head as to why they’re not implemented. I’d like the camera to be removed as I’d rather use a real camera if needed, but I don’t cry for it as it’s not going to happen despite being sure more people who want this more than your idea and there being rational reasons not to have a camera on a phone.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The original poster was talking about using TV out cables to enable playback from an iPhone to a TV.

A bluetooth headset would work to take a call.

The multimedia dock comes with an IR remote to pause resume playback etc.

Quote:

I never watch a video with multiple people on my iPhone. It’s a personal device.

It’s a 3.5” device with a very select options for audio output. I’m not going to hold a conversation while they are trying to watch a video and listen to audio. It interrupts them and I can’t give my attention to the person on the other end. Either ignore the call or take the call.

Again, it’s rude to hold a phone call when someone is watching the video with you especially when that means they are also sharing the video’s audio and your phone call’s audio. That it rude to both other parties.

I cannot fathom why you think this would be a normal behaviour pattern for people. Even when I am at home in front of a huge HDTV with its own sound system I am not so rude as take a call during with it on when other people are watching. If it’s important I’ll leave the room or I’ll pause the video to take the call. That is normal behaviour. If you feel your idea has merit then build an app that does just that and sell it.

• Reply 57 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The original poster was talking about using TV out cables to enable playback from an iPhone to a large screen TV.

I got into Tonton?s post at #33 which made no mention of that, not even in his initial reply to me. I see that the initial argument was regarding output to TV, but that doesnt? alter the fact that trying to hold a conversation on a phone whilst tethering by A/V video cables that are long enough to get the user to another room to take the call privately is a silly option to expect.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I did not suggest to cripple the network. Please do not put words into my mouth. Thank you.

Than don't chime in on a back and forth about "HELP[ING TO] BRING AT&T'S NETWORK TO ITS KNEES.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

22nm is the end of the road for CMOS technology so if the roadbumps come it'll be at 16nm and down because of the nanoelectronic transition.

hey thanks for the helpful reply.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Exactly. Cloud does not mean local storage is dead.

Don't go putting words in my mouth. I never suggested local storage is dead. I said I can't see Apple sticking a 64 Gb drive on an iPhone.

We'll find out in the fullness of time of course.