Apple files countersuit against Nokia

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 278
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Otherwise a good jab, but you two chose the wrong horse (the environmental horse). Nokia has been the number 1 manufacturer in green and recyclable phones with the industry lead in actually recycling their phones after use (instead of just doing their bit during manufacturin). This has been the case for years (propably ten thoudsand or so).

Look it up if you don't believe it. At the same time Apple was ranked as one of the least Eco-friendly manufcaturers even if only loooking at manufacturing (which they have now rectified).

BTW how does this have anything to do with the actual thread? Aren't there any moderators here to try to keep the signal to noise ratio to a minimum? (not that this post is impriving it in any way).

Regs, Jarkko

I wish i was wrong about toxic nokia

i wish they could make a great jesus beating phone .

NOKIA does some very good phones

maybe one good smartphone.

but this un founded lawsuit against APPLE CO leaves them wide open to attack word wide 24/7 forever /

Well, you are off topic while complaining about off topic which makes you off-off topic .

And yes nokia in Finland is very green . MY god the finnish must not be ever polluted ...the ever so green finns leave that that to the poor chinese/indian/african NATIONS where nokia's throw away crap phone's END UP polluting.Ipity those in poor area's of china/India where 13 yr. old kids mine the metals out of electronics including phones ./

Sadly nokia is making tens of millions cheap crappy throw away phones created soley for a 18-24 month contract cycle .And further more those dozens of extra shelf space grabbing model's insure most will be obsolete very soon

SO

If nokia phones has any bad stuff inside like mercury or arsenic among other toxic shit even if and these toxic stuff ARE in small amounts it F-ING adds up to a ton of toxic material when selling 60 million phones a cycle .

Or are you saying nokia's phone are made of sugar and spice .

NOKIA

Should go back 15 yrs. and make good phones again .

no soup for you dude

apple phones never die

they are passed on down thru the family

They even end up as gaming devices when all else goes dark .

N O K I A has sold over 500 million phones this past decade !!

Exactly how many have been mailed back to finland ??

green my ass.
  • Reply 262 of 278
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

DEAR sapporobabyrtrns;

please re-read your own words dude. Your recent posts are painting you as an agitating TROLL .

dude you= are ACTING LIKE A HAPLESS nasty sarcastic little man . Why even bother coming here and insulting nice innocent people . people who have done no wrong to you . try when you post here to be nice and friendly .AGAIN YOU SEEM KINDA COOL SO PLEASE POST IN A NICE FRIENDLY MANNER WHEN YOU VISIT OUR HOME .

Your points are not clear so no one can address you correctly .And your english is very odd. YOU include single words here and there that mean nothing .

merry christmas dude I hope you can cool your jets and act in a mature way .

peace 9

go finland

Hey Brucep,

If memory serves me you and I may have traded barbs once or twice. However, I would like to say thanks for what you had to say in this post. It was very well put. I have a tendency at times, to be drawn it by others smartass remarks and end up resorting to making a series of my own smartass remarks in response. There is often a fine line between being a smartass and giving someone a much needed verbal reprimand like you just did with sapporobabyrtrns.
  • Reply 263 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Hey Brucep,

If memory serves me you and I may have traded barbs once or twice. However, I would like to say thanks for what you had to say in this post. It was very well put. I have a tendency at times, to be drawn it by others smartass remarks and end up resorting to making a series of my own smartass remarks in response. There is often a fine line between being a smartass and giving someone a much needed verbal reprimand like you just did with sapporobabyrtrns.

cheers

i cannot remember trading barbs with you

and many of my posts are at times lacking...

i truly hope this guy cools his jets and treats us with respect

anyway i consider you and friend and a fellow world traveler

peace to you and yours

lostplay
  • Reply 264 of 278
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Yes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Is that an international programme?

One cable that is used for both data and power as it plugs into a USB port on the charger and a set of headphones.

You can also use the charger to charge other phones and accessories by plugging in the appropriate cable (micro USB, Mini USB etc).

The 5800 ships with a cable attached to the charger, a data cable, a TV out cable, and headphones, if you want to charge it from a USB port you have to buy an additional cable.

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...a-cable-ca-100

or

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...y-cable-ca-126

The N97 ships with a data cable, a cable attached to the charger, an adapter (3.5mm & 2.5mm to micro USB) to charge from older Nokia chargers and headphones, there was a bit of dismay when people realised the TV out cable included with N-series phones over the last few years was missing.

Quote:

How many cables does the iPhone ship with? The most any of my phones have come with are, a power cable, data cable, and headphones. And in the last few years that has reduced to just two, and the majority of phones only come with a power cable. Are you saying that Apple is shipping less than one cable?

Actually Nokia sell close to 500 million phones a YEAR!

Quote:

green my ass.

• Reply 265 of 278
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Yes.

In which countries? (and don't list Europe as it is mandated by law there) I can't find anything about it on my local Apple site.

Quote:

The 5800 ships with a cable attached to the charger, a data cable, a TV out cable, and headphones, if you want to charge it from a USB port you have to buy an additional cable.

The N97 ships with a data cable, a cable attached to the charger, an adapter (3.5mm & 2.5mm to micro USB) to charge from older Nokia chargers and headphones, there was a bit of dismay when people realised the TV out cable included with N-series phones over the last few years was missing.

It is funny that you listed those models, as your original quote was...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60

The iPhone has shipped with less cables than most other phone's in smaller boxes which means you can fit more in a container, ship, truck etc reducing the carbon footprint an idea Nokia copied with the black N79 eco model.

And as we know, Nokia sells most phones, and most of their phones are not those two models, most of their phones only come with a charger.
  • Reply 266 of 278
    Ah yes the pedantic jfanning, who doesn't believe in smartphone's.

The reason I chose those two models was that they share common traits with the iPhone, namely touchscreens and they are marketed as smartphone's e.g. not many smartphone's are shipped without data cables as connectivity to a computer is one of the things which usually make them smart as in phones, thereof.

As you would know from the Nokia smartphones you have purchased in the past.

Quote:

And as we know, Nokia sells most phones, and most of their phones are not those two models, most of their phones only come with a charger.

In case you forgot:-

Quote:

I have never signed a contract for any of my Nokia Smartphones, they are smartphones.

Quote:

What are you going on about? The smartphone market is Nokia

Regarding the other, the fact that you're posting here shows you know how to use the Internet, all it takes is a few more clicks to find details of Apple's International recycling efforts, however as you claim to have only seen one iPhone in the last year, it hardly seems worth it:-

http://www.apple.com/recycling/
  • Reply 267 of 278
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

The iPhone has shipped with less cables than most other phone's in smaller boxes which means you can fit more in a container, ship, truck etc reducing the carbon footprint an idea Nokia copied with the black N79 eco model.

Quote:

Ah yes the pedantic jfanning, who doesn't believe in smartphone's.

The reason I chose those two models was that they share common traits with the iPhone, namely touchscreens and they are marketed as smartphone's e.g. not many smartphone's are shipped without data cables as connectivity to a computer is one of the things which usually make them smart as in phones, thereof.

Pedantic? Yeah, probably, but you wrote the above, I will repeat since you have trouble with what you wrote. You wrote that the iPhone has shipped with less cables than most phone's. See you wrote most phones, you even went on to say in other posts that Nokia sells 500 millions phones a year, that would make them the ones selling most phones. Now as most people on this site like to say, most of Nokia's phones sold are the cheaper ones, those ones only come with a power charger. Now lets try this again, are you saying that the iPhone comes with less than one cable?

Now, you seem to think that you work at a shop selling phones? This shop wouldn't happen to be k-mart, and the phones fisher-price would they?

Quote:

Regarding the other, the fact that you're posting here shows you know how to use the Internet, all it takes is a few more clicks to find details of Apple's International recycling efforts, however as you claim to have only seen one iPhone in the last year, it hardly seems worth it:-

yeah I can read, I suggest you read the section for Asia Pacific (not the Aussie one) and look at the conditions. Hmm, actually read the Aussie one as well, you will see that their Asia-Pacific conditions make it quite a poor solution compared to the other countries
  • Reply 268 of 278
    Quote:

but this un founded lawsuit against APPLE CO leaves them wide open to attack word wide 24/7 forever /

And you as a patent lawyer would be qualified to make the decision that it's unfounded? And I guess the Apple countersuit isn't unfounded?

Quote:

What can one say to this?

green my ass.

At least Nokia has made it possible to do so just like Apple has started doing (since 2007 seems). Can they help it if consumers don't send them back? And do you factually know the percentages of recycled devices by manufacturer?

If you actually went and read the reports (for which I gave one possible URL for you to do so via), you'd notice that most of the difference comes in manufacturing. Both parties seem to be OK in recycling. Apple products are significantly more toxic at manufacturing than your hated Nokia phones or Samsung or SE for that matter (and Apple manufactures exclusively in China).

http://www.greenpeace.org/raw/conten...tronics-13.pdf

Just decrement the number to see older reports, which are worse for both parties.

Your original rant was not a case of which phone is better or worse (Personally I think Apple's user experience and looks are far better than Nokia's current offering). You rode the environment horse (which has no relevance to the law suit), which happens to be the wrong horse to select if you want to compare Apple and Nokia (or even Samsung and SE) and make Apple the winner. That's all.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 269 of 278
    Quote:

Av

At least Nokia has made it possible to do so just like Apple has started doing (since 2007 seems). Can they help it if consumers don't send them back? And do you factually know the percentages of recycled devices by manufacturer?

If you actually went and read the reports (for which I gave one possible URL for you to do so via), you'd notice that most of the difference comes in manufacturing. Both parties seem to be OK in recycling. Apple products are significantly more toxic at manufacturing than your hated Nokia phones or Samsung or SE for that matter (and Apple manufactures exclusively in China).

Just decrement the number to see older reports, which are worse for both parties.

Your original rant was not a case of which phone is better or worse (Personally I think Apple's user experience and looks are far better than Nokia's current offering). You rode the environment horse (which has no relevance to the law suit), which happens to be the wrong horse to select if you want to compare Apple and Nokia (or even Samsung and SE) and make Apple the winner. That's all.

Regs, Jarkko

Thank you for your kind reply .I do not hate nokia , I hate what nokia and all electronic companies do>>to our environment . APPLE before turning green was far worse than nokia because computers are far larger than a cell phone . Nokia shame is that they know better than to flood the markets with cheap throw away plastic junk . They know better .

THANK YOU FOR THE LINKS I WILL READ TONIGHT. T

These lawsuits are par for course for both companies to clear away problems that can't be fixed any other way . My rant against nokia was tongue in cheek . I REGRET IF I WENT TOO far .

peace dude

• Reply 270 of 278
    Quote:

These lawsuits are par for course for both companies to clear away problems that can't be fixed any other way . My rant against nokia was tongue in cheek . I REGRET IF I WENT TOO far .

No probs. I did think of the possibility, but dismissed it. I should have checked your profile instead of assuming you to be a teenage fanboy on a rampage. Maybe I'll learn...

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 271 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Mulit Touch is Multi Touch. Answer the question without pulling the norm on this forum and bashing Microsoft.

If these articles are true and I have no reason to believe they are not then Apple Did Not invent Multi Touch.

They copied Microsoft. What's Quadra's favorite saying. Start the copiers.

First, Apple didn't invent it they bought the company that did. No shame in buying someone's great idea.

Second, "start the copiers" is in reference to the shameless copies whereby Microsoft creates a feature in the UI that is so strikingly familiar to a Mac user that you can't help but know it was inspired by the Mac counterpart. Then Microsoft changes the name & pretends they thought up the idea (no giving credit to Apple for giving them a good idea).

The idea of multi-touch wasn't thought up by Apple, it was perfected by FingerWorks who was then bought by Apple. FingerWorks had a great idea for how to build the interface & Apple had a vision for how to use it. This might be the one area someone could really blast Apple on, that they had such a great touch technology & yet have taken far to long to develop it into any sort of a touch screen solution for a full sized computer.

Their touch interface is one thing they should license given how they haven't really utilized all possible aspects of it. That is the tragedy of big corporations, they buy up & then monopolize the good ideas, thus slowing the progress of technology.
  • Reply 272 of 278
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Apple DID NOT invent Multitouch.

Apple acquired a small company named FingerWorks which did invent it.

Fingerworks didn't invent multitouch input either. They invented a particular version of multitouch technology.
  • Reply 273 of 278
    Quote:

Of course you can argue, but what facts do you have to support it? The 2009 report http://www.evertiq.com/news/15198 contains the lates info and endorses Apple for the right direction. Sure it's greenpeace, but if you look at older reports, they quite clearly state why Apple hasn't been in the forefront and why Nokia has. The same criteria had been applied to others. Recycling is not the reason why Apple has been at the back of the list. Apple has been "partially good" at that.

A quote from the 2007 report "Apple was the lowest-ranked electronics manufacturer in the last Greenpeace Guide to Greener Electronics, but makes the biggest jump this time, into 10th place, thanks to pressure from Apple fans around the world through the Green my Apple campaign. " Pretty much how I remembered it from back then and a good direction.

And yes, Nokia ranked #1 or #2 on all of those reports that I could find whereas Apple ranked from last to mid-field. That was the whole point of the original responce. And why would Greenpeace have picked Apple as the mark back in 2006 "for publicity reasons" since other bigger players were on the same list?

Here's the corresponding page from Nokia: http://www.nokia.com/environment. Green is "fashion of today". But Nokia's been at it for quite a long time.

But, this is so far off topic, that it's time to stop this stream of thought and conclude that both are doing a lot of green stuff nowadays, the original posting about Nokia being an environmental badboy was just badly off the mark (as it would have been for Samsung or SE).

Regs, Jarkko

Direct GreenPeace Report:

http://www.greenpeace.org/raw/conten...12-edition.pdf

Ironically, Nokia's ranking is centered around phones.

Apple's ranking is centered around the desktops, laptops, phones, ipods, servers, monitors, etc.

Apple gets heavily dinged for not releasing Energy reports from their campus and more.

Seeing as they've been preparing to build an energy green campus it should be expected you won't know their footprint until that's operational.

Perhaps Apple should spin off Apple Mobile so it can get a high ranking?

Hell, SONY Ericsson gets nearly as high ratings as NOKIA but SONY proper gets lower rating than APPLE. Gee I imagine it has to do with the fact SONY does a helluva a lot more than phones and those cheap miniPCs.

Samsung gets brownie points for:

GOOD (3+) Points

Samsung Electronics supports

global mandatory cuts of

Greenhouse Gas emissions of at

least 50% by 2050 (from 1990

levels) and cuts by industrialised

countries of at least 30% as a

group by 2020. Samsung scores

maximum points for also calling for

global greenhouse gas emissions

to peak by 2015.

More information.

Wow! Lip Service. Give points for actual action, not talk.

APPLE gets 0 Points because they haven't given them an answer [Lip Service].
  • Reply 274 of 278
    @brucep,

Sorry. I forgot the face.

Cheers
  • Reply 275 of 278
    It's good to know that Apple doesn't use PVC and/or BFR in the iPhone unlike Nokia handsets.

Gesta non verba.

Quote:

Regs, Jarkko

• Reply 276 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Mulit Touch is Multi Touch. Answer the question without pulling the norm on this forum and bashing Microsoft.

If these articles are true and I have no reason to believe they are not then Apple Did Not invent Multi Touch.

They copied Microsoft. What's Quadra's favorite saying. Start the copiers.

Hey angus, read it a weep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch

I particularly like this part here...

"Multi-touch technology dates back to 1982, when Nimish Mehta, an Apple employee at the University of Toronto, developed the first finger-pressure multi-touch system. The system used a frosted-glass panel with a camera placed behind the glass. When a finger or finger pressed on the glass, the camera would detect it as a black spot on an otherwise white background, allowing it to be registered as an input. Since the size of the dot was dependent on pressure (how hard the person was pressing on the glass), the system was somewhat pressure-sensitive as well."
  • Reply 277 of 278
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Wow, someone tried to say Apple copied Microsoft's Multi-touch? That's historical revisionism at its finest. There are several different ways to implement multitouch, and Microsoft's system isn't even similar in physical implementation to what Apple bought with Fingerworks.

Sure, Apple isn't the end-all of Multi-touch (to suggest such is similarly revisionist in ways), but to suggest that means Microsoft was the major originator of Apple's implementation, that's quite interesting.
  • Reply 278 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wow, someone tried to say Apple copied Microsoft's Multi-touch? That's historical revisionism at its finest. There are several ways to implement multitouch, and Microsoft's system isn't even similar to what Apple bought with Fingerworks.

Sure, Apple isn't the end-all of Multi-touch (to suggest such is similarly revisionist in ways), but to suggest that means Microsoft was the major originator of Apple's implementation, that's quite interesting.

When you read Angus' history his comment becomes less surprising.