Beyond 'Nexus One,' Google rumored to create netbook hardware

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As reports continue to state Google will sell a custom built phone very soon, a new rumor suggests the search company will also release its own branded netbook PC when Chrome OS debuts in late 2010.

If true, it would mean that Google and Apple are set to compete yet again, this time in the hardware and software PC business. The latest rumor is just more evidence of why Google CEO Eric Schmidt was forced to resign from the Apple Board of Directors in August, as the two companies face off with competing browsers, phones and, in the future, operating systems.

According to TechCrunch, sources claim Google has talked to at least one PC maker "about building a netbook for Google directly." The talks supposedly went as far as Google making a request for proposal with "quite detailed technical specifications." Discussions about building the low-cost netbook are said to be taking place already.

"They?re not in any particular hurry and seem to be aiming for the 2010 holiday season, a full year from now," author Michael Arrington said. "Our understanding is that Google intends to have the devices built, branded with Google, and then sell them directly to consumers. The only firm tech spec we've heard is that they'll be mobile enabled, and likely tied to one or more carriers with a subsidy."

Arrington also first reported of an imminent release of a "Google Phone" in November. While that news remains unconfirmed, the search company recently issued custom-built handsets to its employees. In addition, various reports have alleged that Google will directly sell the unlocked "Nexus One" phone contract-free starting in January, although U.S. carrier T-Mobile is also rumored to offer the device at a subsidized price.

Details on the supposed Chrome OS netbook are unknown at this point, such as what kind of processor the system might employ. However, Arrington speculated that it might run on an ARM CPU or Nvidia's Tegra line, bypassing the Intel Atom commonly found in low-cost machines today.

It was the announcement of Chrome OS that proved to be the final straw for Schmidt's presence on the Apple board. Google issued a technical introduction of the Web-based operating system in November.

Chrome OS will utilize the company's Chrome Web browser, running on a specialized Linux kernel. Software on the operating system will be Web applications that run within their own sandbox. There will be no native apps, and the operating system will not be nearly as sophisticated as Apple's Mac OS X.

As the netbook market has grown over the past year, rumors and projections have persisted that Apple would eventually release its own low-cost machine. Instead, Apple has remained in the premium-priced market, where it has achieved high margins and record profits from Mac sales.

The Chrome for Mac Web browser finally achieved its beta release milestone earlier this month. The beta release came more than a year after its Windows counterpart, which was much later than the company had hoped.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    First to Post... Goodbye
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As the netbook market has grown over the past year, rumors and projections have persisted that Apple would eventually release its own low-cost machine. Instead, Apple has remained in the premium-priced market, where it has achieved high margins and record profits from Mac sales.

And Apple should bloody well stay there. It's like being on a sunny beach in Martinique year-round. Now imagine how well they'll do when the economy improves.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    It's too bad that Apple is too short-sighted and arrogant to see the worth of the netbook space. Something in the $300 range. Too bad.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    £500 apple netbook (in the uk)

probably equates to $500.

all electronics are sent to the uk with a 1:1 ratio.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    To those who suggest a netbook Mac - hope it never happens. Why? Cause netbooks are useless. They are slow, lack features and do nothing that my Touch can't. If anything, make a Touch with a bigger screen.

As for a google netbook... meh will suck. I played around with Chrome OS in parallels, and it is just like the netbooks it will live on: featureless, boring and can do nothing my phone can't do today.

Anyway that's my view, I would take a 13 macbook pro with 4G for over a grand over 13 inch netbook with 4G any day, even if the netbook was given to me for free.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As reports continue to state Google will sell a custom built phone very soon, a new rumor suggests the search company will also release its own branded netbook PC when Chrome OS debuts in late 2010.

If true, it would mean that Google and Apple are set to compete yet again, this time in the hardware and software PC business. The latest rumor is just more evidence of why Google CEO Eric Schmidt was forced to resign from the Apple Board of Directors in August, as the two companies face off with competing browsers, phones and, in the future, operating systems.

According to TechCrunch, sources claim Google has talked to at least one PC maker "about building a netbook for Google directly." The talks supposedly went as far as Google making a request for proposal with "quite detailed technical specifications." Discussions about building the low-cost netbook are said to be taking place already.

"They?re not in any particular hurry and seem to be aiming for the 2010 holiday season, a full year from now," author Michael Arrington said. "Our understanding is that Google intends to have the devices built, branded with Google, and then sell them directly to consumers. The only firm tech spec we've heard is that they'll be mobile enabled, and likely tied to one or more carriers with a subsidy."

Arrington also first reported of an imminent release of a "Google Phone" in November. While that news remains unconfirmed, the search company recently issued custom-built handsets to its employees. In addition, various reports have alleged that Google will directly sell the unlocked "Nexus One" phone contract-free starting in January, although U.S. carrier T-Mobile is also rumored to offer the device at a subsidized price.

Details on the supposed Chrome OS netbook are unknown at this point, such as what kind of processor the system might employ. However, Arrington speculated that it might run on an ARM CPU or Nvidia's Tegra line, bypassing the Intel Atom commonly found in low-cost machines today.

It was the announcement of Chrome OS that proved to be the final straw for Schmidt's presence on the Apple board. Google issued a technical introduction of the Web-based operating system in November.

Chrome OS will utilize the company's Chrome Web browser, running on a specialized Linux kernel. Software on the operating system will be Web applications that run within their own sandbox. There will be no native apps, and the operating system will not be nearly as sophisticated as Apple's Mac OS X.

The Chrome for Mac Web browser finally achieved its beta release milestone earlier this month. The beta release came more than a year after its Windows counterpart, which was much later than the company had hoped.

With Google its always the game of deception, they will come out with not so great product and few months/year later they combine it with something and the end product would be mind blowing.

Although everybody would be manufacturing netbook, this will come with Google products working seamlessly almost like full blown netbook.

I think anything they are releasing in 2010 has the target of turning into a monetizing gaint in 11-12 else they?ll pull plug out of it slowly and nobody will notice.

Looking ahead ... HTML5 allows app developers to build webapps that function while offline. Add SVG, WebGL, O3G, Native Client, etc. and developers should be able to build webapps that behave & perform like desktop apps. Plus, webapp bugfixes & upgrades can be propagated to millions (billions?) of users instantaneously. but they better hold all the manufacturers to one codebase and one standard.

I heard from a developer from one of the biggest game devs in the Bay Area that developing a game for the Android sets are not as straightforward as for the iPhone. Apparently each manufacturer has something a bit different and it has to be tweaked for each.

Did Google not hear of the MPEG I debacle? Oh, right, most of the people running Goog were probably in first grade?

Finally the Google Chrome OS is not really an OS in the usual sense of an OS? Yes, a version is available to download and install, but as I understand it, Google intends it to be installed by the hardware manufacturer in the firmware. Can you say Web or Net Appliance ? thought you might. This was attempted many years ago, and never really caught on. I bought one these for my Father, so we could email and do some minor web browsing, but it never worked properly. Personally, I am not ready for Cloud Computing? I suspect this might be accepted by computing Newbies and Folks who can?t or won?t learn to use a more complete system.

GOOGLE isn't looking to good IMO and besides search the company is just another POS! Just like it's snake CEO
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Google will not produce any handsets or net-books. These rumours are completely unfounded. The Nexus One is a Google Christmas present to employees, made by HTC and running Android 2.1. The G1 was given last Christmas, and in keeping with Google's beliefs and to prevent locking in employees to a certain Carrier world-wide. All deceives come completely unlocked, this allows Engineers to create whatever they like and test the handsets to near destruction.

It is however true that Google is starting a "Powered by Google" programme. This programme is a set of stricter requirements, meeting them allows manufacture to place the Google logo on their products.

For netbooks, the same is true. The strict requirements are things like;
    • Screen Size

• Capacitive touch

• SSD Drive

• Android market place (not a custom store)

• HSDPA/CDMA (LTE) compatible

* Edit - Reselling their own handset would also destroy the agreement with the Open Handset Alliance and damage Androids growth.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

It's too bad that Apple is too short-sighted and arrogant to see the worth of the netbook space. Something in the $300 range. Too bad.

Short sighted.. yeah Apple are buggers like that. Complete lack of vision.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Seems like Eric Schmidt picked up a lot of great ideas while on Apple's board. He had tremendous access to Apple's product roadmap, market research, and long term strategy. Even though he might have been 'asked to leave the room' during discussions about competing products, he still had access to department managers at Apple who were likely more than willing to tell a Board Member anything he wanted to know.

As far as yet another Google product... I continue to argue that I don't want a company, who's primary revenue stream is advertising, to know any more about my day to day activity. For the same reasons I don't want a Google phone, I don't want a Google computer.... privacy.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    ah google, behind the curve again....I am sure google is going to look foolish when this apple tablet comes out before the google netbook....

netbooks are junk, my roommate bought one and it was a new toy for a few weeks, and then he went back to his desktop and realized WoW is much better on a 24" monitor. I have not seen him use it in months.

He bought an 32gig Touch last night for a trip he is going on, and he was blown away by it. He is not a mac-hater, but was just a PC guy, and will have to be because of his trade, 3D animator. I see him as the traditional PC person discovering Mac all over again.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Acers profit margins on netbooks would like a word with you.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Unless you are joking, this is one of the most misinformed, idiotic comments I've read here in a while.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

With Google its always the game of deception, ...

I'm sorry, I just can't take anything you say seriously after you did that juvenile "first post" thing.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

If anything, make a Touch with a bigger screen.

Exactly! Which explains the ever-present tablet rumors. There has to be a tablet sooner or later just because it's the next thing apple would do if they were apple, which they are. And it will do to the netbook market what the iPhone did to the smart phone market. And just like the iPhone, it will be mostly about the software, not the hardware. So unless Schmidt stole the tablet OS, google should dock him some of his spy pay.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm sorry, I just can't take anything you say seriously after you did that juvenile "first post" thing.

cut a guy a break man, I was excited to post first. Geezzz, take the stick out of your butt.

What I've said so far should be taken serious
  • Reply 16 of 52
    GOOGLE CEO stole as many ideas from Apple as possible. Very soon there is going to be a Google version of iPod since they have now planning to sell music and movies.

Why didn't Steve Jobs figure this out until it is too late?
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssttuu View Post

Google will not produce any handsets or net-books. These rumours are completely unfounded. The Nexus One is a Google Christmas present to employees, made by HTC and running Android 2.1. The G1 was given last Christmas, and in keeping with Google's beliefs and to prevent locking in employees to a certain Carrier world-wide. All deceives come completely unlocked, this allows Engineers to create whatever they like and test the handsets to near destruction.

It is however true that Google is starting a "Powered by Google" programme. This programme is a set of stricter requirements, meeting them allows manufacture to place the Google logo on their products.

For netbooks, the same is true. The strict requirements are things like;
    • Screen Size

• Capacitive touch

• SSD Drive

• Android market place (not a custom store)

• HSDPA/CDMA (LTE) compatible

* Edit - Reselling their own handset would also destroy the agreement with the Open Handset Alliance and damage Androids growth.

^^

What he said 100% correct.

It's amazing how blogger speculation can morph in to facts... especially if the WSJ repeats it.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    I never liked The Schmidt. He reminds me of Microsoft.

To me, he seems like the exact opposite of Google's "Do no evil" motto. Anyone with me?

I'm also surprised/disappointed that the Apple board didn't kick him out earlier. Obviously there were mutual benefits and goals, but Google seems to have ripped off Apple too much as of late. Aside from moving iTunes online, acquiring Lala seemed like a "hey, fuck off" from Apple to Google.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

cut a guy a break man, I was excited to post first. Geezzz, take the stick out of your butt.

I could cut a boy a break, but not a grown up man. Immaturity amazes me..
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

I never liked The Schmidt. He reminds me of Microsoft.

To me, he seems like the exact opposite of Google's "Do no evil" motto. Anyone with me?

I'm also surprised/disappointed that the Apple board didn't kick him out earlier. Obviously there were mutual benefits and goals, but Google seems to have ripped off Apple too much as of late. Aside from moving iTunes online, acquiring Lala seemed like a "hey, fuck off" from Apple to Google.

I'm with you on this one... If you look back at the 2007 MacWorld keynote Schmidt walks on stages and "jokes" to Steve about the iPhone is the reason he wanted to join the board. Everyone laughed but it turns out he wasn't joking.

Also Steve could have wanted Schmidt on the board for the very fact of keep your friends close but you enemies closer (meaning) he could have noticed something extremely leery about him, but since his medical situation was becoming more crucial throughout the year he couldn't focus on that snake as much as he wanted.... I will continue to preach that besides search and Maps Google is a POS, that wants to invade your privacy.

I really hope Apple makes it's own Map App and integrates a better search for small devices like iPhone/Touch or Tablet (If it arrives).