Toshiba announces 64GB NAND flash chip, likely iPhone bound

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Don't go putting words in my mouth. I never suggested local storage is dead. I said I can't see Apple sticking a 64 Gb drive on an iPhone.

We'll find out in the fullness of time of course.

You are correct, we can?t conclude that you think local storage is dead or dying. However, based on your statement, we can conclude that you don?t expect more than 32GB to ever be put into an iPhone. I don?t think that is a good stance to take.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Don't go putting words in my mouth. I never suggested local storage is dead. I said I can't see Apple sticking a 64 Gb drive on an iPhone.

We'll find out in the fullness of time of course.

My apologies. I guess dead was a poor choice of words, but with electronics if you aren't moving forward you are dying.

I have about 25 GB on my iPhone and the remaining space is slowly filling. Now imagine a new iPhone with 720p video out (at the very least, the current iPhone could do this if Apple wanted). 32 GB isn't very much if you want to start taking a few 720p videos with you (or larger, more powerful apps). In theory videos could also be streamed, but I would imagine that many people would want some stored locally.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    If Apple starts to use cloud storage for it's mobile devices maybe there won't be a need for a doubling of memory every year. If you can stream your music and videos you won't need to carry all that local memory. Even on a 64GB device I can keep an awful lot of music and videos. I'm sure 128GB is the most I'll need on a hand-held device for a long time unless music and video format sizes change drastically.
  • Reply 64 of 75
    Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,Here are the most popular, most stylish and avantgarde shoes,handbags,Tshirts,jacket,Tracksuitw ect...

http://www.kkshoe.com /productlist.asp?id=s76(Tracksuit)

Christmas is approaching, your Christmas gifts ready?

kkshoe com mall for you, which involves a number of well-known brands from the Asia-Pacific region the trend of merchandise. Promotional discounts should be, come SHOPPING bar!Christmas sale, free shipping discounts are beautifully gift ,Christmas gifts,look, Best quality, Best reputation , Best services Service is our Lift.

Nike shox $35,Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

ugg boot,POLO hoody,Jacket,ect...

For details, please consult http://www.kkshoe.com

Thanks!!! Advance wish you a merry Christmas.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

My apologies. I guess dead was a poor choice of words, but with electronics if you aren't moving forward you are dying.

I have about 25 GB on my iPhone and the remaining space is slowly filling. Now imagine a new iPhone with 720p video out (at the very least, the current iPhone could do this if Apple wanted). 32 GB isn't very much if you want to start taking a few 720p videos with you (or larger, more powerful apps). In theory videos could also be streamed, but I would imagine that many people would want some stored locally.

Yes I agree that iPhones are filling up, mine is too but moving forward isn't sticking more hard drive space on an iPhone. IPod Touch, Tablet perhaps. Currently Video isn't that good an experience on an iPhone. My eyes are just about shot due to the strain.

So I see Apple moving forward to a much thinner iPhone that utilises streaming content in a much better way. I've been using spotify for several weeks now and I haven't opened iTunes since.

Apple will be aware of the growing numbers of people adopting this technology and be looking to take it to the next level.
  • Reply 66 of 75
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You are correct, we can?t conclude that you think local storage is dead or dying. However, based on your statement, we can conclude that you don?t expect more than 32GB to ever be put into an iPhone. I don?t think that is a good stance to take.

I have to agree with your position here, no matter how taken in people are by the concept of cloud computing it is not suitable for many. In fact I can see it being a big flop if some of the data management failures of recent times continue to happen. The biggest problem with total reliance on the cloud is reliability followed closely with accessibility.

That doesn't mean I object to some cloud concepts either, for example backing up to the cloud makes a lot of sense to me. Some of the things that Google does well make sense to be in the could such as search, but critical databases need to reside locally. More so a local back up option is needed.

Dave
  • Reply 67 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCP21 View Post

I agree i have a itouch 32gb, i find it hard to fill it, and even if i do with music when can i ever listen to that much music, its going to start a game of whose got the biggest memory

I have no music at all on my iphone yet I constantly have to manage memory used on the device. It is all about how you leverage the technology, in your unfortunate case you bought a Touch to use as an MP3 player. Frankly that is a mistake as it is much more than that. Touch and iPhone are the first of a new breed of pocketable computers that really work well. See them as that and you will quickly realize a need for all sorts of memory.

In my case I have a 3G iPhone and am chomping at the bit for more performance and storage. Frankly that means resisting the urge to update to the 3GS, to instead wait for a hopefully vastly more capable model. The little computer is, when seen in that light, is amazingly useful. If you only look at it as an MP3 player you are missing the whole point of the device.

Dave
  • Reply 68 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I have to agree with your position here, no matter how taken in people are by the concept of cloud computing it is not suitable for many. In fact I can see it being a big flop if some of the data management failures of recent times continue to happen. The biggest problem with total reliance on the cloud is reliability followed closely with accessibility.

That doesn't mean I object to some cloud concepts either, for example backing up to the cloud makes a lot of sense to me. Some of the things that Google does well make sense to be in the could such as search, but critical databases need to reside locally. More so a local back up option is needed.

Dave

I have been using iDIsk regularly since .Mac. The iPhone and Touch?s iDisk app makes accessing these files pretty easy, though the app could offer more options. Now they allow you to password protect your public folder and just yesterday there was an update that appears to make the transfers much faster. I can stream videos and read PDFs I have on my iDisk to my iPhone very quickly. It certainly seems faster than using Finder on a Mac to access iDisk.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCP21 View Post

I agree i have a itouch 32gb, i find it hard to fill it, and even if i do with music when can i ever listen to that much music, its going to start a game of whose got the biggest memory

I'm sorry, you're just not a music fan. I've got 120GB of music on my 160GB Classic, almost all ripped from my own CD collection, and I wouldn't want to be without it. The reason is that my mood changes during the day, and I can never predict what I might want to hear, so I'd prefer to have it all available. I also don't have to waste time deciding what to sync, or neglect a good portion of my collection. Most people who have filled their Classic do so for the very same reason, and for that reason could never settle for a smaller capacity device.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

If Apple starts to use cloud storage for it's mobile devices maybe there won't be a need for a doubling of memory every year. If you can stream your music and videos you won't need to carry all that local memory. Even on a 64GB device I can keep an awful lot of music and videos. I'm sure 128GB is the most I'll need on a hand-held device for a long time unless music and video format sizes change drastically.

There is no way that there will be enough bandwidth to do this in the foreseable future. What you are basically asking for is a continously known channel for every IPod out there. In effect your own personal broadcast station for music. Not going to happen with todays technology nor tomorrows.

As a side note this has nothing to do with AT&T at all. You could combine the resources of every cell provider going and not have the band width required. You can only move so much data in a given spectrum with a given technology. Mind you that is spectrum shared with every other service the cell provider offers.

Personally the whole way that IPhone manages it's data is why I find it attractive. I always have a backup, plus even deep under ground I can get to what is important to me. Right now a 128GB would be looking sweet on an iPhone. It ought to be enough to keep me comfortable and minimize space management.

Dave
  • Reply 71 of 75
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Any Thoughts On Why The 64GB iPhone Didn't Happen This Year? I was very surprised based on having read this article last December. And does this mean we won't see the 128GB iPod Touch and iPad this Fall? My 64GB iPod Touch is full and I sure could use another 64GB of space in the next model.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Any Thoughts On Why The 64GB iPhone Didn't Happen This Year? I was very surprised based on having read this article last December. And does this mean we won't see the 128GB iPod Touch and iPad this Fall? My 64GB iPod Touch is full and I sure could use another 64GB of space in the next model.

Toshiba are moving to higher density NAND as we speak and are due to go into mass production in July-September. We'll know for certain when the new MBA hits as it uses Toshiba NAND too. I expect 128GB Air on the entry level, 128GB iPod and 64GB iPhone 4S over the next 3 months.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    ben10ben10 Posts: 4member
    Just out of curiosity, what does this have to do with Apple? I don't understand how an announcement of a new flash memory product correlates directly to Apple. It could have just as easily pertained to any other company that uses that type of memory but Engadget can't stand to have an article that doesn't involve Apple if it can be avoided \.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Toshiba are moving to higher density NAND as we speak and are due to go into mass production in July-September. We'll know for certain when the new MBA hits as it uses Toshiba NAND too. I expect 128GB Air on the entry level, 128GB iPod and 64GB iPhone 4S over the next 3 months.

In this case write durability is taking a big hit. It is my understanding that it is taking Apple far longer than expected to validate and approve for use the new chips. Beyond the write durability issue the ultra high density flash chips apparently have a short retention period. Where the old tech could hold data for say ten years the new tech might start to loose info after a year.

How true any of this is is open for discussion. The durability issue isn't a secrete so there is likely some validity to the idea that it is taking a very long time to approve the tech for build in.
  • Reply 75 of 75
    Never Mind