Beyond 'Nexus One,' Google rumored to create netbook hardware

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    I smell a train wreck if Google persists in this foray into hardware. It's true that Apple pulled the iPhone out of thin air, but they've been designing hardware for more than 30 years!
  • Reply 42 of 52
    I guess Jobs really pissed off someone at Google. Anyway... this or Android... can't touch OS X and the iTunes ecosystem.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

I never liked The Schmidt. He reminds me of Microsoft.

To me, he seems like the exact opposite of Google's "Do no evil" motto. Anyone with me?

I'm also surprised/disappointed that the Apple board didn't kick him out earlier. Obviously there were mutual benefits and goals, but Google seems to have ripped off Apple too much as of late. Aside from moving iTunes online, acquiring Lala seemed like a "hey, fuck off" from Apple to Google.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation was one critic among many concerned over Eric Schmidt's statements on how Google should respect privacy. According to Gawker, when he was asked during an interview for on CNBC's about whether users should concerned about sharing so much information with Google, Schmidt responded, "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place."

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/48975
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Proof that using a spell-checker is no replacement for actually knowing how to spell:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssttuu View Post

Google will not produce any handsets or net-books (netbooks). These rumours are completely unfounded. The Nexus One is a Google Christmas present to employees, made by HTC and running Android 2.1. The G1 was given last Christmas, and in keeping with Google's beliefs and to prevent locking in employees to a certain Carrier world-wide (worldwide). All deceives (devices) come completely unlocked, this allows Engineers to create whatever they like and test the handsets to near destruction.

It is however true that Google is starting a "Powered by Google" programme. This programme is a set of stricter requirements, meeting them allows manufacture (manufacturers) to place the Google logo on their products.

For netbooks, the same is true. The strict requirements are things like;
    • Screen Size

• Capacitive touch

• SSD Drive

• Android market place (not a custom store)

• HSDPA/CDMA (LTE) compatible

* Edit - Reselling their own handset would also destroy the agreement with the Open Handset Alliance and damage Androids (Android's) growth.

All the item in red are correctly-spelled words, either incorrectly punctuated, or used in the wrong context where another similar word should have been used.

Actually, I think the poster's native language is probably German, the way he randomly capitalized certain nouns.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Proof that using a spell-checker is no replacement for actually knowing how to spell:

All the item (items) in red are correctly-spelled (incorrectly spelled) words, either incorrectly punctuated, or used in the wrong context where another similar word should have been used.

Actually, I think the poster's native language is probably German, the way he randomly capitalized certain nouns.

Cheers!
  • Reply 46 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

I smell a train wreck if Google persists in this foray into hardware. It's true that Apple pulled the iPhone out of thin air, but they've been designing hardware for more than 30 years!

Well, as soon as Google actually starts manufacturing hardware, maybe they will start worrying about that proverbial train wreck. Thus far, Google has made absolutely zero hardware and has consistently made software for others to use (or not use).

As for other comments, too many people here seem to think that Apple invented everything. Apple didn't invent the portable media player. Apple didn't invent the smart phone. Apple isn't going to invent the tablet PC (Microsoft was pushing that format in 2002 with their Windows XP Tablet Edition) next year. Does Apple build a better mouse trap? Maybe, but they have the metaphorical copiers going just as much as Microsoft or Google does.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

First to Post... Goodbye

Fvck you!!!

Btw, how lucky did you get with that username...

Skank
  • Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

It's too bad that Apple is too short-sighted and arrogant to see the worth of the netbook space. Something in the $300 range. Too bad.

I do too. But make it fractionally litte more pricey, $100 over true cost, but make it smoking. Bring the MacBook to 4 cote. Mbp to 8i, a non server, midrange i7 8 core with numerous gpu selection, mac pro with 24

and the line is complete and rockin'

Peace.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

GOOGLE CEO stole as many ideas from Apple as possible. Very soon there is going to be a Google version of iPod since they have now planning to sell music and movies.

Why didn't Steve Jobs figure this out until it is too late?

Inthink Microsoft is going to do the same thing with the courier running win 8 with serious power and first branded computer. It gets taken up by all business and exchange and powerful enough to run audio programs like Portools, Reson, games and more.

Exiting times ahead.

Pp
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Fvck you!!!

Btw, how lucky did you get with that username...

Skank

What's with the profanity? And not sticking to the Article topic at best you can?

It's not really luck, if no one has that name.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

What's with the profanity? And not sticking to the Article topic at best you can?

It's not really luck, if no one has that name.

"First Post!" posts are generally regarded as bad forum eitquette . . . even with an emoticon. So expect to get some ribbing for it.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Google definitely has an uphill climb ahead of them. But I really think that they have a shot with Chrome OS and they HAVE TO get involved on the hardware side, at least initially to make sure manufacturers integrate the hardware software well. They need to make sure they do everything they can to make the product "great" even if it means copying apple as this article expresses:

http://www.allchromenews.com/2009/11...e-apple-taste/