Verizon preparing for possible arrival of iPhone in 2010 - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 142
    Person: Verizon, didn't you blast the iPhone for not having a keyboard, 5MP camera, and removable battery? And now you suddenly carry it and advertise it?

Verizon: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............Come onnnnnnnnnnn.............
  • Reply 22 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revolume View Post

person: Verizon, didn't you blast the iphone for not having a keyboard, 5mp camera, and removable battery? And now you suddenly carry it and advertise it?

Verizon: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............come onnnnnnnnnnn.............

LOL Just got a mental picture of that.
  • Reply 23 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Revolume View Post

Person: Verizon, didn't you blast the iPhone for not having a keyboard, 5MP camera, and removable battery? And now you suddenly carry it and advertise it?

Who cares this is business. If both Verizon and Apple decide they can make money on this deal they are going to make it happen. Its only the end users that take stuff like this personal.
  • Reply 24 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

A source to back up that statement would be interesting to read.

Just because Apple approached Verizon early on doesn't mean that they had the radio components all worked out in advance.

I do not think they would have approached anyone without the capable hardware ready. Its not the hardware or software that is stopping the iphone from expanding, but $ and the exclusive contracts that Apple signed with Att.

I feel that the other carriers will be more than willing to play ball with Apple now after witnessing the success of the iphone
  • Reply 25 of 142
    ...or, it could have nothing to do with the iPhone at all. Doesn't anyone want to even entertain that possibility?
  • Reply 26 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Revolume View Post

And didn't AT&T just slam Verizon because with their current network they can't do both Voice & Data at the same time.

This room couldn't have been happier with the commercial.

Apple would look pretty foolish for "Settling" for a sub standard network after allowing Verizon to air the commercial.

Apple: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn..............
  • Reply 27 of 142
    But wouldn't a Verizon iPhone be incapable of simultaneous voice and data operations? Doesn't seem like Verizon users would get the full experience. Just wondering....
  • Reply 28 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

And didn't AT&T just slam Verizon because with their current network they can't do both Voice & Data at the same time.

This room couldn't have been happier with the commercial.

Apple would look pretty foolish for "Settling" for a sub standard network after allowing Verizon to air the commercial.

Apple: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn..............

Apple spent years blasting Intel in favor of ppc chips...now they are "foolishly" selling 3 mil. intel macs a quater
  • Reply 29 of 142
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Verizon is CDMA not GSM and LTE ain't everywhere so a Verizon iphone would need CDMA to fail back on.

thus a whole second line of phones would have to be made, meaning double the models for staff to juggle around, etc.

so yes there are technical and economic barriers, once the 'trival' part is settled.

The new Qualcomm chipset takes care of the problem as it does GSM, CDMA and LTE.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

So I guess the Droid isn't challenging their network then? Is this a tacit admission that it's not the big deal that was hyped a month ago? (Just like the Palm Pre earlier in the year?)

I think you'll find that Droid users, I'm one, are using the network almost as heavily as iPhone users. What I've found though is that most of my usage seems to be via WiFi. My first full month I used less that 200MB which surprised me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

i think vzw is still going to use CDMA as the voice backbone as it is a better voice quality codec and LTE as data. LTE wont just be magically switched on and CDMA cut off. it will be gradual.

also, i think LTE is going to be rolled out starting in 2011 ( i could be wrong on this date tho ).

They can do that but I don't know why they would. LTE uses VoIP so once you connect to the channel everything works so why tie up two channels.

The funny thing is that you can do the same with EDVO that is run data and voice at the same time but you have to do voice using VoIP. This is not an issue with smart phones but it an issue with the towers. I don't know if a hardware upgrade is needed or just a software upgrade would make it work.
  • Reply 30 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

My neighbor who works for Verizon in their network division told me that they have been working on prepping their network to support the iPhone. Take it for what it's worth.

I take that to mean I am going to get a 64 gig Verizon iPhone for Christmas. Hurry up guys! Only seven shopping days left!
  • Reply 31 of 142
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Not sure but if Apple took the iPhone to Verizon, it would also solve two problems.

1) Allow Verizon customers to get the iPhone.

2) AT&T bandwidth issues would improve since many people would switch to Verizon.

WIN-WIN

...but not for AT&T, which stands to lose a lot of costumers.
  • Reply 32 of 142
    You know I have had this thought in the back of my mind several times in the past - good thinking. I think it is very possible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Perhaps this story is a smokescreen for Verizon being signed up as a carrier for the tablet.

• Reply 33 of 142
    Please God YES!!!! At&T coverage BLOWS ass here! My wife has an iPhone and is constantly asking me to borrow my V phone to return phone calls.
  • Reply 34 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

An update of an interview published in the April 27, 2009 issue of Business Week? i.e.,

That's the beauty of journalism. They can "speculate" out their ass and declare themselves credible and ethical in their bs speculation.
  • Reply 35 of 142
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

...or, it could have nothing to do with the iPhone at all. Doesn't anyone want to even entertain that possibility?

This is the most compelling rumour on this subject I've read and it still doesn't sound very likely. I think your statement makes the most sense, especially considering the lack of simultaneous voice and data.
  • Reply 36 of 142
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    If VZW get's the iPhone and Has Rollover minutes , then I would consider it.

AT&T service is great in my area so dont care what happens with Verizon.
  • Reply 37 of 142
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Verizon is CDMA not GSM and LTE ain't everywhere so a Verizon iphone would need CDMA to fail back on.

thus a whole second line of phones would have to be made, meaning double the models for staff to juggle around, etc.

so yes there are technical and economic barriers, once the 'trival' part is settled.

as for those BusinessWeek articles, they say that Verizon would love to play with Apple. Nothing about Apple being willing to play

I understand perfectly well the differences between the networks. But those technical differences would be TRIVIAL for Apple to deal with (every other phone maker somehow manages to accomplish this), and therefore that is not a barrier. Apple makes enough iPhones that using part of their capacity to make a CDMA phone would in no way affect their economy of scale. Note that Apple makes a special version of the iPhone for China, and look how small that market is turning out to be. Apple is also maintaining the previous 3G production lines in order to continue making the 8 GB version of the iPhone after the 3GS came out. With the next update to the iPhone, simply switch those lines over to making CDMA phones. That would be no more difficult than updating that line to make the next gen ATT iPhone.

As for maintaining stock...how would that be any different if Apple started offering the iPhone on another GSM carrier in the US (ie, Tmobile)? You'd still be maintaining separate stock, some with ATT SIM cards and some with Tmobile SIM cards.

The ONLY barrier is Apple and Verizon deciding to do it. If/when they made that decision, everything else would be relatively easy in the grand scheme of things.
  • Reply 38 of 142
    Why beef up the network for the iPhone? I thought it was already so danggone great! I guess not.
  • Reply 39 of 142
    [QUOTE=AngusYoung;1536936]And didn't AT&T just slam Verizon because with their current network they can't do both Voice & Data at the same time.QUOTE]

Great point. Won't Verizon users be disappointed when they can't talk on the phone and use the data services? Sure, Verizon might have better voice quality, but I think I'd feel cheated if I switched back to Verizon and found my user experience lessened.

And - tablet? No way. Who would have one cell phone agreement with AT&T for iPhone and another with Verizon for Tablet. Apple wouldn't do that.
  • Reply 40 of 142
    An iPhone on the Verizon network would sure get at least one sale, MINE! Oh please please please make it so!