Verizon removes user Search choices

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
This is one reason why I am a bit leery of the long term user experience if the iPhone ever comes to the verizon network.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12...ogle_for_bing/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Bingdroid?

Ought to go down well.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    again you want to bash VZW..its for the "smartphones" anyone could give 2 Sh8ts about. Google phones will keep theirs and if the almighty one comes to them they will keep safari
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Verizon does only evil. They seem to be a perfect fit for Microsoft.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Having used Google for years as we all have, I have found it difficult to even consider using another search engine but I find Bing's image search to be much better than Google's and their video search is a bit better too. Their shopping component just links to ciao.com, which isn't very good. Maps and search are about even.

Providers should really give consumers the final say over the search engine and even browser they use but Safari's search is linked to Google - there's no difference except for popularity. If everything stayed tied to the most popular things, it creates monopolies that can be abused. Microsoft do deserve to be on the receiving end of that but if they do some things better, it's good to let the competition encourage companies like Google to step up.