AT&T executive attempts to cool rumors of tiered iPhone data plans

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Look everybody!! The bottom line is that AT&T need to shut up and

improve their dam network!! Verizon is constantly upgrading

theirs by putting up new towers, and AT&T is bullshiting

by suggesting mini towers and stupid shit like that!!

AT&T... JUST PUT UP MORE TOWERS OR SHUT UP!! And you're problems

will go away!!
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Maybe if AT&T wasn't sending traffic twice (once on the intended route then everything to the NSA) it might have more bandwidth for subscribers to use what they pay for.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Is AT&T in the water business, too?

Damn, who would have thought.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Son0fsocal View Post

The bottom line is that AT&T need to shut up and

improve their dam network!!

• Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

Maybe if AT&T wasn't sending traffic twice (once on the intended route then everything to the NSA) it might have more bandwidth for subscribers to use what they pay for.

My thoughts exactly.

Sprint got caught doing it, we KNOW AT&T is up to the same BS.

http://arstechnica.com/telecom/news/...lion-times.ars

Tracking everyone via their cell phones, behavioral monitoring.

Do something outside routine, they pull your butt over for speeding and ask a few questions.

"Papers please"
  • Reply 25 of 34
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Agreed, AT&T is actually really inexpensive for their current plans. Verizon's cost for the Droid is $132 for 450 minutes and internet access. You can pay $99, but it's e-mail only data. Total crap.

The iphone and the droid have the same monthly plans.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10390059-1.html
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

The iphone and the droid have the same monthly plans.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10390059-1.html

That's weird. I went directly to Verizon's site and looked at adding a line with the purchase of a Droid. The data plan for that price said e-mail only, and then add the $30 for unlimited data. I will do it again and take a screen shot regardless on which source is correct. Be back in a few
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Ok, they must have either updated their site or I just did something wrong the other day, as I posted that $132 number not too long ago on another thread. Here is the exact same thing I did, but this time it's different. Neither matches the link you posted anyhow, but thanks for making me take another look.

Here's a shot:

My bill on AT&T after taxes and fees hovers between $86 and $88 a month. This monthly total shown from Verizon does not calculate those charges. As Solipsism said, it wouldn't be fair to bring the taxes and fees into the discussion, because they differ State to State. So, my AT&T plan is cheaper regardless but its base is $74.99. Here is a shot for the summary of my last bill:

I have a really strange feeling that AT&T's prices are going to go up when the iPhone goes to another carrier. Verizon is always high, and the other carriers like to just sit a few dollars below them so it looks good. They all like to gouge, it's not a mystery. Kinda tired of the nonsense and they need to be forced into serious competition.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    [QUOTE=technohermit;1537288]Ok, they must have either updated their site or I just did something wrong the other day, as I posted that $132 number not too long ago on another thread. Here is the exact same thing I did, but this time it's different. Neither matches the link you posted anyhow, but thanks for making me take another look.

Here's a shot:

image: ]http://www.lowfokus.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/vzwDroidPlan.png/QUOTE]

I think Samab is correct. The Droid and 3GS have same basic plans with 450 minutes for $40 and unlimited data for $30/month. I am not seeing the $45/month plan except for business accounts. which also falls inline with AT&T.

AT&T also has rollover minutes and simultaneous V/D, which are important enough to me that even if Verizon had the iPhone I wouldn?t be making a jump.

PS: I think Verizon?s marketing is top notch. It was only for a second but I saw the image below on the Verizon Droid Flash page while it was loading: http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/#/home
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think Samab is correct.

Did you walk through buying the phone and picking a plan, or are you just browsing their site? I walked through it, took a screenshot. That's the offer.

Edit:

I am a dumbass. You are correct, I was on the business link. Damn it, now I gotta do it again :/

Edit again:

Same thing as I posted above, so Verizon are collectively dumbasses for making me do things over and over. So the above screen shot leads you to the same place regardless of Business link or Wireless link on their site. I stand by my original assessment until Verizon gets their shit together.

PS: V's marketing department is definitely top notch.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Makes you wonder if they toss these high hanging curves out there just to see who swings at them. They likely just bought a $100K market survey for the price of one bruised ego.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Did you walk through buying the phone and picking a plan, or are you just browsing their site? I walked through it, took a screenshot. That's the offer.

Edit:

I am a dumbass. You are correct, I was on the business link. Damn it, now I gotta do it again :/

Edit again:

Same thing as I posted above, so Verizon are collectively dumbasses for making me do things over and over. So the above screen shot leads you to the same place regardless of Business link or Wireless link on their site. I stand by my original assessment until Verizon gets their shit together.

PS: V's marketing department is definitely top notch.

What is your final conclusion. I am still getting the same $79 just like the iPhone.

PS: I really hate how Verizon, Dell, HP and many others have such complete arsed up their websites. I wish more would follows Apple lead with having simple, non-threatening sites? at least until you get to the prices.

PPS: We bitch about costs but remember when you had to pay for long distance?
    PPPS: My first internet experience was with a hand down Mac. AOL with the account setup was already installed but I wasn?t aware of the $15/month for 3 hours from AOL and the $2.95 for each additional hour charge. Nor was I aware that while the dial was calling a number in my area code it was far enough away to warrant a 25¢ charge for each call. I had a 2400 baud rate modem that got disconnected often. My first month was a $300 phone bill from those 25¢ charges followed by my father yelling me for having a $600 credit card bill for AOL use.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

That's because you picked "unlimited data usage" instead of "email and web for smartphone". Verizon doesn't explain the difference between the two.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

That's because you picked "unlimited data usage" instead of "email and web for smartphone". Verizon doesn't explain the difference between the two.

verizon explains little

• Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An AT&T executive this week made comments to assure customers that the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.S. will not implement tiered data plans.

Those comments fueled speculation that the company could move away from its current unlimited data plan available for iPhone users. But in an interview with The Wall Street Journal, de la Vega said his company has no intentions to do so.

I hate being lied to...