List of network computers on Airport Extreme

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 2 MBPs and an iMac and three PCs in my home network with a recently acquired Airport Extreme (saucer shaper one) as the router. Unfortunately Windows XP sometimes doesn't show itself on the network, even to other PCs (this happened on my old router too). When this happens I use connect to server in finder and enter the PC's IP address. With my old dlink router, I simply went to the admin page and saw a list of devices with their names (the windows ones at least) to find an IP address. I can't find any way to do that with Airport Setup Utility or in OS X in general. Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I'd get rid of XP once and for all and turn the XP machine into a hackintosh.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    You can install Bonjour for Windows. I think that will show the machine up on the network like other Macs do. You can also try assigning your Windows machine a static IP by manually assigning an IP outside the dynamic pool range, for example 192.168.0.150. That means, it will always have that IP and you won't have to look it up.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I'm pretty sure they have Bonjour. It's installed with iTunes right? I don't think that's the issue as they sometimes do show up but not always.

Is there really not a way to see what's connected to the Airport Extreme by IP address? That seems like a pretty basic function of a router.

I'll look into static IP. I used to do that through my D-Link router, but that function doesn't seem to be available on the AE.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Is there really not a way to see what's connected to the Airport Extreme by IP address? That seems like a pretty basic function of a router.

I'll look into static IP. I used to do that through my D-Link router, but that function doesn't seem to be available on the AE.

The Airport Utility will let you do static IPs in internet > DHCP - just set the range and pick numbers outside it on each computer.

The router should display connected IPs but there might be differences in the utility software. Check here, there is also an app mentioned that lets you get the list:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....ageID=7984703&

If Bonjour definitely is installed - I think it does come with itunes, you can try an app called Bonjour Browser available here:

http://www.tildesoft.com/Programs.html
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Using the AirPort Utility,

o Select the base station, and then, choose Manual Setup.

o Select the Advanced tab.

o Select the Logging & SNMP tab, and then, click on the Logs and Statistics button.

o Select either the Wireless Client or DHCP Clients tabs to get a list of connected clients.

Thanks

VC
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Thanks VC. I think I believe I had discovered that since the thread. But it doesn't list the names of connected computers, if I recall.

I also learned that setting static IPs on other computers is not very practical, unless they never leave the network. If you go on another network that doesn't use the same IP addresses or the one reserved is taken, you have to reconfigure. If done by the router, this is not an issue. The AE should be able to assign static IPs by itself. My old D-Link could do that.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

The AE should be able to assign static IPs by itself. My old D-Link could do that.

Open Airport Utility>Internet>DHCP and create Reservations based on each computers MAC address.

Quote:

But it doesn't list the names of connected computers, if I recall

It should list the name of the client under DHCP Clients in the column "Client ID"
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thanks bbwi! That's what I needed to know. I seem to recall some issue with Client IDs though. I'm away from my home network, so I can't test it on the AE, but here at my family's house, my MBP doesn't show up by name on the Linksys router's admin page, even though I set up the DHCP client ID in Network preferences (and renewed the connection). Not a big deal of course, though I like to understand why things work the way they do (or don't)