Psystar lawyer claims company not shutting down permanently

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Contrary to previous reports that Mac clone maker Psystar would be closing its doors following its Thursday loss in court, lawyers for the company said the company will not be shutting down for good.

In a reversal of of a report Thursday by the Dow Jones Newswire that Psystar was to cease doing business, a lawyer for the company stated that it has no plans to permanently close its doors.

Computerworld reports that Psystar's lawyer K.A.D. Camara, of the Houston, Texas law firm Camara & Sibley LLP, stated that the stories of the company's imminent closure were based on another lawyer's misquoted responses to questions about the company's future. Attorney Eugene Action was quoted Thursday in the Dow Jones Newswire story saying Psystar "will not be in business," and the company would be "shutting things down immediately."

It was reported Thursday that Psystar would be shutting down in the wake of a devastating loss in court that resulted in a permanent injunction against the company, banning it from selling hardware running hacked versions of Apple's OS X operating system.

This ruling did not specifically ban the sale of Psystar's Rebel EFI software, an application that allows Intel-powered PCs to run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and as of Saturday night the company's website lists the software a being out of stock.

Earlier this month, Psystar and Apple reached a partial settlement in which the company agreed to pay $2.7 million in damages. Apple originally filed suit against Psystar in July of 2008 due to the Florida company's selling of unauthorized machines with the operating system installed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a reversal of of a report Thursday by the Dow Jones Newswire that Psystar was to cease doing business, a lawyer for the company stated that it has no plans to permanently close its doors.

Just like an old, wet, stinky, nasty dog, they keep coming back and they won't go away. Go ahead Psystar, sell Rebel EFI all you want. Get sued into oblivion. After selling only 800 units, can't you take a hint? Nobody wants you.
  • Reply 2 of 122
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Just like an old, wet, stinky, nasty dog, they keep coming back and they won't go away. Go ahead Psystar, sell Rebel EFI all you want. Get sued into oblivion. After selling only 800 units, can't you take a hint? Nobody wants you.

Don't worry, they will die. There is no way they produce enough income to stay afloat, that is unless he works out of mommy's basement.
  • Reply 3 of 122
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I wonder if "K.A.D. Camara, of the Houston, Texas law firm Camara & Sibley LLP" goes by the nickname of CAD/CAM. If not, he should. That law firm should be really proud of itself for its handling of this case. All publicity is good publicity?
  • Reply 4 of 122
    Someone please post how to get around the activation codes for this. Sure, it probably says somewhere on the ELUA that you have to purchase this from Psystar, but could they really care much about that?

(And kidding about getting around it, chameleon works great, but I prefer to run OS X on my macbook pro.
  • Reply 5 of 122
    If they keep going without visible means of support (==sales) then follow the money.

It's not hard.

Follow the money.
  • Reply 6 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Don't worry, they will die. There is no way they produce enough income to stay afloat, that is unless he works out of mommy's basement.

If those in the know know where to go and get it free. These same also see the upside potential of an 6 low powered cloned overcocked till Tuesday know this machine will give almost twice the oerfomsnce of a real mac, you're right.

However. Of this was not free and was hard to do, then I would beg to differ.

I have posts somewhere on here saying someday they will/ would be hacked. Same chip. Besides. Those that flip for the real deal is probably larger then the AI story on iPod to iPhone switchers. Anither thing I see avlot of thoses doing are getting thesectiny netbooks and flipping to osx.

Peace.
  • Reply 7 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I wonder if "K.A.D. Camara, of the Houston, Texas law firm Camara & Sibley LLP" goes by the nickname of CAD/CAM. If not, he should. That law firm should be really proud of itself for its handling of this case. All publicity is good publicity?

K.A.D. Camara is a young, super-bright and super egotistical lawyer who hates losing....look at his bio, really impressive. I'm wondering if the owner of Psystar really wants to continue with the fight....I think from here on out, its all K.A.D. Camara's ego at work. I hope Apple eats his lunch in Florida and permanently shuts-down Psystar. It would be a nice stain on K.A.D. Camara's resume. His ego needs to be put in check.
  • Reply 8 of 122
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    It sounds like Darl McBride has found a new company to run. I knew he wouldn't stay retired for long.
  • Reply 9 of 122
    These guys are like cockroaches they just don't go away ...

..oh yeah and like cockroaches they also spew crap from their mouths too
  • Reply 10 of 122
    Of course they aren't stupid enough to shut down. They have a company with world-wide press and recognition. "Even bad publicity is good publicity". That isn't easy to reproduce.

And as far as their situation in the first place, I honestly wish the ruling had gone the other way. The one thing we as consumers need, is for Apple to get some direct competition. As of now, they have none. Psystar had blu-ray drives in their systems well over a year ago. If they were able to legally continue, Apple would have no choice but to increase their pace or risk losing some revenue.

Without competition we end up with slow, less-than-modest updates, at higher-than-average prices. Sounds a little like the situation we've been in for some time, doesn't it?
  • Reply 11 of 122
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Madcapper View Post

Of course they aren't stupid enough to shut down. They have a company with world-wide press and recognition. "Even bad publicity is good publicity". That isn't easy to reproduce.

And as far as their situation in the first place, I honestly wish the ruling had gone the other way. The one thing we as consumers need, is for Apple to get some direct competition. As of now, they have none. Psystar had blu-ray drives in their systems well over a year ago. If they were able to legally continue, Apple would have no choice but to increase their pace or risk losing some revenue.

Without competition we end up with slow, less-than-modest updates, at higher-than-average prices. Sounds a little like the situation we've been in for some time, doesn't it?

There is competition it is called Dell, HP, Sony, Acer, Asus, Toshiba, ...
  • Reply 12 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Besides the competition that Azimov stated, nothing Psystar did make sense to argue as being competition. You can install internal and external Blu-ray drives on Macs if you wish, they only sold about 800 known machines which doesn?t exactly make them a competitor to anyone; they have less PC ?options? than Apple, and, perhaps most importantly, there is no way they could have succeeded even if they won the lawsuit.
  • Reply 13 of 122
    It smells like someone is funding them. If I were to guess, Dell, which would have the most to gain from a generic intel that run a better OS than dell can currently offer with MS. You gotta feel sorry for any PC maker, given that no one would buy their machines if the prices were the same as macs, so they have to compete on price alone; do the numbers: $50 profit for each machine X 10 million/quarter vs $400 profit for 3 million boxes per quarter

you do wonder where the money trail ends

It's just business?Galaxar out
  • Reply 14 of 122
    Quote:

Not sure what PC market you are watching, but there is more than enough competition against Apple. This sounds like Teckstud rumble, with concern to blu-ray comment. I still not convinced blu-ray will take off and especially in India, where blu-ray is non-existent.

P.S. What has happened to Teckstud, I do not see his rumble of off the wall comments, has he been banned and why has all his posts been removed? Interesting such steps what be taken.
  • Reply 15 of 122
    I think this just means that the lawyers are trying to keep the ship afloat a little longer so they can attend to the further lawsuit in Florida and their appeals. That's all it sounds like. In any case, it won't make any difference.

What were they thinking going against Apple with such clearly defined rights and usage rules with the Mac OS?
  • Reply 16 of 122
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I don't know if you have them in the US but the lawyer may be talking about a "Phoenix company"

Strip the assets and start again with a $2 shelf company that is a different legal entity to Psystar.
  • Reply 17 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Not sure what PC market you are watching, but there is more than enough competition against Apple. This sounds like Teckstud rumble, with concern to blu-ray comment. I still not convinced blu-ray will take off and especially in India, where blu-ray is non-existent.

P.S. What has happened to Teckstud, I do not see his rumble of off the wall comments, has he been banned and why has all his posts been removed? Interesting such steps what be taken.

Blu-ray is the optical media format for the future, likely the last one we?ll see, though likely not the last HW based format we?ll see. Despite it?s growth against DVD (just saw a Blu-ray player today for $110), Blu-ray does seem to be losing out to digital downloads from many different fronts. Most of which don?t require a new player. This is exactly what I expected would happen.

DVD simply never had to deal with this ultra-convenient competitor and didn?t have people happy with ?good enough? quality of up-converting DVDs and even the quality one can get from Hulu and other sites. Hell, even YouTube is starting to offer 1080p, though not nearly in the same realm as Blu-ray?s A/V quality. They all have their place. I use Blu-ray to iTS, to torrents to newsgroups to Hulu for my TV and Movie viewing needs.

PS: I don?t agree with MadCapper?s conclusion but he far from being Teckstud in his posting style and thought process. I think Teckstud might just be on an extended banning, not not a permanent ban. The posts being removed can be done with a vBulletin setting called ?Tacjy Goes to Conventy? which is simply a global ignore list, where your posts don?t even show up at all, unlike the normal ignore list where it shows the name and the post shrunk.

In this state, Teckstud can still post (unless also banned) and mods can see his posts but we won?t see him and he won?t even know he? in Conventry unless he logs out and checks the forum to see he has disappeared.

You know this has happened to someone on a thread when there are more pages listed for the thread than there are posts to fill those pages. You click for the last page yet it keeps bringing you to the 2nd to last page, usually. I have no idea of the use of Tachy (could be a forum member that it was originally used on) but going to Coventry is an old term used for ignoring someone.
  • Reply 18 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

If they keep going without visible means of support (==sales) then follow the money.

It's not hard.

Follow the money.

The problem is if the money is paid "under the table" there may be no trail to follow.

A comment in "Raids crack down on counterfeit goods" 12/18/2009 USAToday made me think of another possible source of money for Psystar:

"When a person buys a counterfeit, they're actually supporting organized crime," says Brian Brokate, general counsel of Rolex Watches USA.

While not strictly a counterfeit Psystar's behavior back in Apple 2008 as documented by Richard Koman and Stevie Smith did suggest something shady going on: multiple addresses, Powerpar revoking Psystar?s account "for three primary reasons: product/services not as represented in application, sales volumes grossly exceeded, no address verification utilized", and supposed maleware on their site.
  • Reply 19 of 122
    It's obvious what's going on here.

Pystar has chosen this path in selling clones and fighting in court as a publicity campaign to develop a client list for it's Rebel EFI product.

Having one lawyer say "Pystar is closing" then another say "No it's not" is giving any potential client a warning that Pystar is about to go undercover, get on board now.

As you know Rebel EFI needs updates to continue to work with future versions of OS X and with PC's, so a covert client list is needed as these people will have to buy the updates so they can sell OS X clones.

Psytar won't be able to advertise their product in the future, thus giving away their location to Apple.

So Apple has smacked this Pystar mole, but now it's morphed into a zillion pieces and become even more dangerous.

Apple is making mistakes.

1: Not tying OS X to Apple hardware.

2: Ignoring the low end of the PC market

3: Thinking the law is going to protect their sales.

The results are clear.
  • Reply 20 of 122
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Let's not forget, they now know how and WHY they lost. They now know how to go about this in such a way, as to not be liable next time ? it's got you wondering doesn't it ? ???

These folks will be back, and it won't be as easy to rid of them next time.

Skip