Unauthorized Mac clone maker Psystar throws in the towel

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

So can we say the same for Quo computers, who are selling nearly the same product as Apple, somehow without the price tag?

Wow. I didn't even knew they existed. What's ironic though is that EFI script can be found free at insanelymac website. Then you go to their HCL page and read what motherboards, GPUs, work so your webcam, soundcard, any Texas instruments fire WILK work, web cam et-cetera. And poof, you can build a mac for 800, over clock it thanks to the bios and then run circles around a mac pro. Then down the road when new CPUs come out l, swap them. The experience is the same as the machine has no way of knowing it's a oc or mac as Apple doesn't make a lot of the innards to begin with, no to mention it's like 15% of hack users that may build their super rig that kills a mac pro but love it so much, go out and spend the money in a real mac. Although you can get the same HCL Laptop and install osx on it.

I dint think hacks are ever going to go away (pystar) as Apple has no mid range compturr that is also upgradable. One benefit PC user will have over mac down the road are those new low power 6 cores. Hear is the enemy if overclocking. Since they run so cool, users may get 1/3 to 50% or more, better performance out of a hack that runs much faster.

I dint go their that often anymore since I have a mbp and windows machine sharing a 24" glossy HD, HDMI monitor which looks beautiful. For me, I'm all about music or sound design or it depends in whet I'm working on. Each has it's quirks. From pc crash to beachball, but I do look forward to the new 12 core. Will probably build just to see how fast I can push it and in rendering or au plugins, it's all about speed and ram.

Bit sure why pystar would cont. selling it when you can get it for free.

Pa
  • Reply 43 of 49

I've also read this too. It makes you wonder who's funding the company since it's no longer making any money.

Also its website is back up and advertising EFI again, though it's strange that it says out of stock when it should be a download on top of that the price $0.00 (why advertise that)\
  • Reply 44 of 49
    再见!

To think they even had a chance... sad.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    Quote:

Pesky would-be Mac clone maker Psystar

Way to strike a blow against unbiased reporting.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beta.services View Post

Way to strike a blow against unbiased reporting.

Who ever said AppleInsider is unbiased?
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcallows View Post

Finally! It's irritating to see all these little guys drain Apple's resources while the real enemy, Microsoft, continues to grow fatter and fatter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

And lazier and lazier. I used to worry about Microsoft, but not anymore.

Actually, Apple needs Microsoft more than they probably realize; so many use Word and Excel, even on a Mac, and many converts from PC to Mac want some more familiar software and that usually is Mac.

The real frenemy of Apple is the GoogleMonster. Google will eventually get into every field that Apple and Microsoft are into, giving away or selling hardware and software for free, all paid for by ubiquitous advertisements ("Ads by Google") and search ads on their high flying search engine near monopoly, all given away under the guise of 'open source' while Google jealously guards its own algorithms and software. It's a lethal combination that will prove to be hard to overcome.

Once Android phones take off, Google netbooks take off, Google OS take off, Google browsers take off -- everything will be Google this and Google that.

The GoogleMonster will rule the tech world, and companies like Apple will suffer. GoogleMonster is not your friend either.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    it's very sad to know that Apple's resources are draining well Microsoft is gaining.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I've also read this too. It makes you wonder who's funding the company since it's no longer making any money.

Also its website is back up and advertising EFI again, though it's strange that it says out of stock when it should be a download on top of that the price $0.00 (why advertise that)\

I always suspected that Psystar was funded for the sole purpose of challenging Apple's hold on Mac hardware and software. I think that would have come out by now if that were true.