Apple becomes SNL punchline over iPhone network coverage

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A joke about the iPhone's perceived poor cell service earned laughter and applause from the audience on a new episode of Saturday Night Live this weekend.

Comedian Seth Meyers on the program's "Weekend Update" segment noted reports from last week that Google allegedly intends to sell its own handset in 2010. That touchscreen device looks to compete with Apple's iPhone.

"It was reported this week that Google would soon launch its own cellphone as a challenge to the iPhone," Meyers said in the mock newscast. "Also a challenge to the iPhone? Making phone calls."

The joke earned cheers and laughter from the audience during the live broadcast, but has since gone well beyond to earn a noteworthy presence online. After being featured prominently on a number of Web sites, the 16-second clip has earned more than 140,000 views on YouTube as of Monday morning.

The joke also came a day after blogger Dan Lyons, under his comedic Fake Steve Jobs persona, had asked readers to overload AT&T's network to send a message to the company about its service. The one-hour event, in which users were asked to use bandwidth-heavy applications on their iPhone, did not have a major effect on the wireless provider's network.

Meyers' joke made no mention of AT&T, which usually receives the blame for dropped calls and spotty coverage on the iPhone in the U.S. Bad publicity was joined by criticism from competitor Verizon, and forced AT&T to engage in a advertising war with its rival to defend its network.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    yo first
  • Reply 2 of 137
    Too little, too late, SNL. Besides, the days of SNL being funny are 15-20 years past.
  • Reply 3 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Too little, too late, SNL. The days of it being funny are 15-20 years past.

Unless they're making fun of Microsoft, in that event they would be cutting edge
  • Reply 4 of 137
    SNL is still on the air?
  • Reply 5 of 137
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    My original 2G (or 2.5G or whatever) iPhone worked a lot better before the 3GS was rolled out.

For the first couple of years I owned the phone I can barely recall a dropped call or lost signal that I could not attribute to things like going through a tunnel - or at least in areas where my previous Treo on Verizon had exactly the same problem. In fact, the iPhone with AT&T overall was better than the Treo with Verizon.

However, since the 3.x software and the 3GS came out - about 50% of the time I either cannot make a call or my call drops in the middle of a conversation - even though I am standing still.

I would like to upgrade to the 3GS - and I am supposing that the 3G service is better than the 2G service (at least better than it is now) - but I am not entirely convinced that spending the extra cash on the upgrade plus the increased monthly fee is justified if the service is no better.

Maybe it is better to wait until mid 2010 and see what they do with new hardware - or LTE - or 4G - or whatever is next.

For me personally - the service level for the iPhone has gone from a rare dropped call - to frequent no service - dropped call - and call failed.
  • Reply 6 of 137
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    When you're the top dog the peasants are always looking to take you down. Apple is no longer the "beleaguered" underdog it once was. Now that it dominates not one but two important markets it has become a target. Welcome to the real world. Microsoft knows this scenario all too well. Apple and the iPhone will carry on as usual. I'm sure Steve and company pay no attention to this sort of stuff. They haven't in the past so why would they start now.

As for Dan Lyons and his Fake Steve persona, if you read between the lines he is just as contemptuous of Apple as some other journalists. He just hides it behind the veil of sarcasm.

And finally, the ultimate test. With all of this supposedly negative press and laughter what is happening to iPhone sales? The trend is headed upward with no end in sight.
  • Reply 7 of 137
    In any case, true or not, it can become a widely accepted "truth", and the only way to alter that is to make some changes. Time for Apple to branch out in the US. In Canada, for example, all major carriers now have the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Unless they're making fun of Microsoft, in that event they would be cutting edge

MS is easy to make fun of, it's almost a tradition. They bring it on themselves. But you know something's not right when Apple is made fun of and there's a real ring of truth to it.
  • Reply 8 of 137
    Ok #1... You are not being original in dinging SNL by saying that they are not funny or using the tired old line of "They're still on the air???"... SNL has been coming up with some of their funniest stuff in the last few years. A number of the Digital Shorts have been down right hilarious and Weekend Update with Seth Meyers is hands down better than any of the ones with Norm MacDonald.

#2... There is a lot of truth to the joke. Many people have had issues since 3.0 OS came out. I personally have this annoying thing that I cannot listen to a new voicemail within the first 5 minutes of receiving it unless I restart my 1st gen iPhone.

#3... I have no problem if we lose some of the current iPhone and Mac users out there, who are only using them because of the "perception of cool", due to any ad that Verizon can come out with or what some comics say on late night tv. Apple used to be about being different, having a different view on life. Some of these tweens and moronic adults that use our products are not wanted. Go back to your SanDisk mp3 players and Walmart eMachines....
  • Reply 9 of 137
    Unfortunately, this very sad "joker" does not know that it's not the iPHONE that is the problem - it is the networks. In other countries, with proper infrastructure, there are no problems. It is a fact that people making halve-baked remarks like this, for cheap laughs, only prove their ignorance.
  • Reply 10 of 137
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    SNL ceased being funny about 45 years ago.

SNL is a complete joke right now, and they have to resort to complaining about the best phone in the world to get some cheap laughs. Everybody knows that the iPhone does not drop phone calls, this is just misinformation from the likes of Verizon.

I think we should start an embargo against NBC and its parent company Comcast/GE until they apologize for such discriminatory and racist comments on its SNL program.
  • Reply 11 of 137
    Here come the "SNL sucks" folks just because they made fun of Apple. I don't watch SNL due to the fact that I just don't care.

That said, Apple fans, this is a JOKE, and I would suggest that you take it as light hearted as it is supposed be intended. Don't get all inflammatory over two sentences uttered on air.

Look at it in two ways if you want:

1] It means that there has been so many problems with AT&Ts service that its become a widely known thing and SNL likes to poke fun at current events. (How many of you here have complained about AT&Ts service?!)

2] It means that Apple has finally reached the ranks high enough to be jeered at (although, there was the iRack skit a few years ago) and thus, means its doing well.

In any case, laugh along with it. Seriously, take a joke!
  • Reply 12 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JPDLVMH View Post

Unfortunately, this very sad "joker" does not know that it's not the iPHONE that is the problem - it is the networks. In other countries, with proper infrastructure, there are no problems. It is a fact that people making halve-baked remarks like this, for cheap laughs, only prove their ignorance.

And neither does the general public. iPhone and AT$T are so intertwined in commercials and advertising that to most they are one and the same. This hits home with that audience. The people here understand it is not an iPhone issue but when you can only get the iPhone on one network then it is an iPhone issue.
  • Reply 13 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

SNL ceased being funny about 45 years ago.

Everybody knows that the iPhone does not drop phone calls, this is just misinformation from the likes of Verizon.

No the iPhone does drop calls. When I pick up my iPhone and the call drops, the iPhone dropped it. Yes I know it is crappy AT$Ts fault but the average consumer does not.
  • Reply 14 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

My original 2G (or 2.5G or whatever) iPhone worked a lot better before the 3GS was rolled out. ...

I would like to upgrade to the 3GS - and I am supposing that the 3G service is better than the 2G service (at least better than it is now) - but I am not entirely convinced that spending the extra cash on the upgrade plus the increased monthly fee is justified if the service is no better.

Maybe it is better to wait until mid 2010 and see what they do with new hardware - or LTE - or 4G - or whatever is next.

For me personally - the service level for the iPhone has gone from a rare dropped call - to frequent no service - dropped call - and call failed.

Similar issue, still on 2.5G iPhone, but should replace it soon, battery life is dropping. My problems pre-date the 3GS; I would say it is more like when the 3G came out. Service has actually gotten better around my home over the last month; I can sometimes actually get calls indoors.

My biggest gripe is that the 3G seems to have worse reception than the 2.5G, and I hear the 3GS is worse still. But, holding out for LTE will take you until 2011; there is no way it will be in the next generation, that isn't how Apple does things. I'm starting to seriously consider Verizon, although from what I can see I will still be disappointed, just with the handsets at that point.
  • Reply 15 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

No the iPhone does drop calls. When I pick up my iPhone and the call drops, the iPhone dropped it. Yes I know it is crappy AT$Ts fault but the average consumer does not.

You're obviously not using an iPhone, or at least as it was intended to be used.

I've been using one for the last 3.5 years (I was a beta tester for the original as well), and I have not had a single dropped call. Not a single dropped call.

I think all these rumors of dropped calls were started by paid Verizon employees. I don't see ANY evidence for it.
  • Reply 16 of 137
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

In any case, true or not, it can become a widely accepted "truth", and the only way to alter that is to make some changes. Time for Apple to branch out in the US. In Canada, for example, all major carriers now have the iPhone.

MS is easy to make fun of, it's almost a tradition. They bring it on themselves. But you know something's not right when Apple is made fun of and there's a real ring of truth to it.

I agree....the weakness in Apple's armor would be AT&Ts' cell coverage.....

But then Apple will have a RECORD holiday season! :-)
  • Reply 17 of 137
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JPDLVMH View Post

Unfortunately? Sad joker? Wake the hell up dude! It doesn't matter if the problem is with the iphone or not. It's the public PERCEPTION that is important at the moment.

Making jokes for cheap laughs does not prove their ignorance.

It proves that the problem the iphone is having with AT&T's network CAN NO LONGER BE IGONORED by Apple's upper management. In fact, we're wayyyyy past that point now. Are we bloody well awake yet?????
  • Reply 18 of 137
    Y'all keep in mind SNL is filmed in New York where iPhone users always seem to be having problems. I haven't seen the video yet, but it doesn't sound that offensive. Of course it doesn't sound that funny either. If you really want a good laugh, go to YouTube and check out the MacBook Wheel!

I do enjoy Apple and its products very much. I also enjoy satire when it's done really well. C'mon y'all, can't we laugh at ourselves every once in a while?
  • Reply 19 of 137
    Why are people criticizing SNL for telling the truth. Bottom Line is that when a network uses 1900Mhz you are going to get low signal and dropped calls.
  • Reply 20 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Why are people criticizing SNL for telling the truth. Bottom Line is that when a network uses 1900Mhz you are going to get low signal and dropped calls.

SNL is not telling the truth. They are fabricating lies which were paid for by Verizon and T-mobile. If we don't fight against the misinformation and lies, when will it end??