Apple becomes SNL punchline over iPhone network coverage

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

better is a relative term. is it better for it to be faster? yes. is it better for it to be faster but almost unusable due to packet loss? no.

personally, i have a phone for a phone first, everything else 2nd. if the phone cant meet objective 1, then it doesnt matter if it can download stuff faster than another carrier could.

somehow i signed up for telecom newsletters and read the articles sometimes. it's not as simple as building more towers, each tower is limited to around 50 people using it at a time and with NYC the issue is all the tall buildings play havoc with the signal reception.

AT&T trying to get rid of the top 3% of data users is a good start
  • Reply 62 of 137
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

somehow i signed up for telecom newsletters and read the articles sometimes. it's not as simple as building more towers, each tower is limited to around 50 people using it at a time and with NYC the issue is all the tall buildings play havoc with the signal reception.

AT&T trying to get rid of the top 3% of data users is a good start

im not arguing its difficult on how to manage the users or the difficulty of placing towers, its more of the point if you cant make a phone call, whats the point of having the phone?
  • Reply 63 of 137
    Hey guys all I hear about is the poor quality of the AT&T network in NYC and all I can say is I have been using my 3gs iphone for two months with hardly any dropped calls. Most of my calls are as clear as a land line!
  • Reply 64 of 137
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Why are people getting all butt-hurt over a joke? Geez, I didn't realize that people had such thin skin for these kinds of things.

I mean, I have an iPhone 3GS, but I still found it funny. Lighten up people! It's not like they insulted your mom.
  • Reply 65 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeleboy View Post

Hey guys all I hear about is the poor quality of the AT&T network in NYC and all I can say is I have been using my 3gs iphone for two months with hardly any dropped calls. Most of my calls are as clear as a land line!

Good to hear!

But it's all about public perception. If that isn't on your side, all the facts and stats you can muster will be worth about as much as a pair of thermal underwear in Death Valley at high noon.

Apple's experiment with AT&T (read: exclusivity) was genius. Apple got what they wanted. Now it's time to expand.
  • Reply 66 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Lighten up people! It's not like they insulted your mom.

judging by some reactions here, insulting apple is far more serious than insulting your mom
  • Reply 67 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeleboy View Post

are you in manhattan? my 3GS works great outside of manhattan, it's in "the city" that's the problem
  • Reply 68 of 137
    Before moving to the EDGE iPhone, I was on Verizon and simply assumed that the days of dropped calls, patchy coverage and missed data were over. Verizon's coverage was so complete that it seemed to me, that all service providers must have met that level of service-- if they hadn't, why would any user not simply switch to Verizon. I was shocked when I got my iphone at how poor AT&T service actually was.

I believe AT&T is wholly responsible for the poor signal quality and dropped calls. For me, one of the many benefits of the iPhone is never actually dealing with AT&T, other than paying a monthly bill. When my iPhone had a legitimate problem, I went to Apple. I get software updates not from AT&T, but from Apple.

However, at some point, Apple must take responsibility for AT&T. They cut a deal with the devil in AT&T and that is reflected by the phone's performance. If Apple wants to maintain a reputation of the best software and best hardware, they need to drop the network with the dropped calls and poor coverage.
  • Reply 69 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Hopefully Apple is taking note and tired of AT&T making their product look bad, and will also get on Verizon next year.

Shouldn't Apple have "taken note" before it teamed up with AT&T?!?! Doesn't seem very smart of Apple. Didn't those Apple people do any testing? That's a rhetorical question folks. Didn't Steve Jobs say AT&T was the best network and with it's GSM technology, fit in Apple's international game plan? Another rhetorical question folks!

Can people out there using AT&T by means of a BlackBerry or some other phone, and this is important "PRIOR" to the iPhone (so we can throw out the congestion issue), can you BB or other smart phone people on AT&T tell me how adequate was your service? Reception? Dropped Calls? Voice Mail? Voice Quality?

Or can someone point out a BB message board that contains as many gripes about AT&T service while using their BlackBerry or other smart phone?

If the problem is solely AT&T, then there should be just as many discrepancies with other manufacturers and their smart phones, correct, logically speaking?
  • Reply 70 of 137
    the way data is used on a BB and the iphone is very different and problems are more noticeable on the iphone
  • Reply 71 of 137
    I have not had one dropped call on my iPhone 2.5 or my 3g, and I don't live in Boston or NY.

IMHO Weekend Update has been the funniest bit on SNL ever since Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, and Seth Meyers. In fact, they should cancel SNL and run a 90 minute WU! Yeah.

And this iPhone joke made me laugh, even though it isn't true for me, anyway.
  • Reply 72 of 137
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Can people out there using AT&T by means of a BlackBerry or some other phone, and this is important "PRIOR" to the iPhone (so we can throw out the congestion issue), can you BB or other smart phone people on AT&T tell me how adequate was your service? Reception? Dropped Calls? Voice Mail? Voice Quality?

Or can someone point out a BB message board that contains as many gripes about AT&T service while using their BlackBerry or other smart phone?

If the problem is solely AT&T, then there should be just as many discrepancies with other manufacturers and their smart phones, correct, logically speaking?

The service was fine when it was only on 2G way back when i had my 8300 Curve and before i switched to VZW. A lot of data stuff is sent via BIS/BES from Canada and the data is compressed so it takes quite a bit of stress off the network its running on(this is a pretty big selling point to carriers), so data wise i am very unaffected. That being said, i hear BIS users are getting frequent outages coming from RIMs end (i suspect them not being able to handle 20+ million BIS users is the culprit) and when they go down, your phone is dead in the water except for voice/text.

I currently get a dropped call about once every couple days, if im stationary it never happens but if im driving and talking the chances skyrocket and my city is supposed to be covered completely by 3G according to AT&T. Voice Quality is excellent (i use a Blackberry Bold) but Voice Quality on BB is top notch overall on every device they make. Often before a call drops the service becomes quite scratchy and then it just dies.

Signal wise im 4/5 bars at my apartment right now, but the instant i walk into work i hit SOS mode (we have a 14 story building) and dont regain signal unless im on the roof or near a window, it makes me wish AT&T has a UMA mode like T-Mobile does for their Blackberry lineup.

On signal topic, because the phone flip-flops so much out of 3G/Edge it causes what Apple would describe as "Catastrophic battery failure", sometimes the battery will drain because its constantly seeking for 3G (and i have to change settings to keep it from doing so) even while being on EDGE.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the way data is used on a BB and the iphone is very different and problems are more noticeable on the iphone

^^^^^ This, data isnt a big problem on BB its the voice at times, especially during peak times.
  • Reply 73 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

#3... I have no problem if we lose some of the current iPhone and Mac users out there, who are only using them because of the "perception of cool", due to any ad that Verizon can come out with or what some comics say on late night tv. Apple used to be about being different, having a different view on life. Some of these tweens and moronic adults that use our products are not wanted. Go back to your SanDisk mp3 players and Walmart eMachines....

Clearly, you are not a stockholder. It matters greatly to me what the perception of, performance of, and sales of iPhone and other Mac products are. And thus, if you are not a stockholder, it's not "our products" to you. We welcome tweens and adults. It's you - the elitest snob that feels Apple 'owes me something for being loyal' that we can really do WITHOUT.
  • Reply 74 of 137
    Don't Forget that they also re-aired the simpsons episode sunday that made fun of apple and it's conformist, brainwashed customers who are willing to hand over their money just to look cool.

Now, start the attacks on the simpsons. Yeah, "they stopped being funny 20 years ago", right?

What a harsh weekend for crapple!

</bait>
  • Reply 75 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

MS is easy to make fun of, it's almost a tradition. They bring it on themselves. But you know something's not right when Apple is made fun of and there's a real ring of truth to it.

And Apple being made fun of is something completely new? I do believe it was MadTV that made "i" name with an "iRack" skit back when the Iraq War started again (correct my timeline if I'm wrong). It was a Steve Jobs impersonation showing off Apple's latest product: an unsteady rack with random things thrown in it. True it was more of a punch to the new Iraq War than Apple itself, but still...

Not to mention that viral video a bit back that was a very nicely done showcase of the new Macbook with a single scroll wheel as the stand-in for the keyboard. That one had plenty of people going for a long time.

My point? Just roll with the punches. If you're a big name, you're going to get made fun of.
  • Reply 76 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

No. ATTs orignal network has much better reliability then the poorly designed 3g.

I recall complaining about the 3g service long ago, and being told to turn off 3g when I wasn't using it. My gripe with that was I waited to get the 3g iPhone for a reason: 3g. Not to get the phone and turn off the feature I was waiting for. Now that people in other places see how horrible the 3g service is, maybe they want to try turning off their 3g when it's not in use.

This was at the time when people (including myself) had problems with the 3g radio in a certain revision of the phone. My phone was replaced under AppleCare, but the problems persisted. In certain situations, I do turn the 3g off, like at places indoors where there is wifi. You'll notice the EDGE service does penetrate better than the 3g.

Recently AT&T has been getting better, though. I am eligible for my upgrade discount at this point, but I think I'm going to hold off until the next iPhone release in June/July. I'd rather spend some cash on a new MBP with a matte screen anyway, my early '08 is getting tired
  • Reply 77 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

I recall complaining about the 3g service long ago, and being told to turn off 3g when I wasn't using it. My gripe with that was I waited to get the 3g iPhone for a reason: 3g. Not to get the phone and turn off the feature I was waiting for. Now that people in other places see how horrible the 3g service is, maybe they want to try turning off their 3g when it's not in use.

This was at the time when people (including myself) had problems with the 3g radio in a certain revision of the phone. My phone was replaced under AppleCare, but the problems persisted. In certain situations, I do turn the 3g off, like at places indoors where there is wifi. You'll notice the EDGE service does penetrate better than the 3g.

Recently AT&T has been getting better, though. I am eligible for my upgrade discount at this point, but I think I'm going to hold off until the next iPhone release in June/July. I'd rather spend some cash on a new MBP with a matte screen anyway, my early '08 is getting tired

i think the EDGE service is on a lower frequency which penetrates walls better due to longer wavelength. 3G and it's higher frequencies can transfer data faster, but have trouble penetrating walls due to shorter wavelength
  • Reply 78 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Shouldn't Apple have "taken note" before it teamed up with AT&T?!?! Doesn't seem very smart of Apple. Didn't those Apple people do any testing? That's a rhetorical question folks. Didn't Steve Jobs say AT&T was the best network and with it's GSM technology, fit in Apple's international game plan? Another rhetorical question folks!

Apple offered the iPhone to Verizon, T-Mobile and others... but they all wanted final say-so on everything, plus I would imagine none of them believed Apple would be successful. As almost everyone laughed at Apple pre-launch, now they are racing to catch-up. AT&T was the only one to agree to Apple having final word and all their demands, that's why it is only on AT&T. Steve had no choice, but to pump and support AT&T - you have to roll with who you got at the moment.

People cannot blame Apple, they went with the only girl who would say "yes" to go to the prom with them. Now, all the girls want to go and Apple now has all the "hand" as Costanza said on Seinfeld.
  • Reply 79 of 137
    I've been an Apple devotee since the 80's and will continue to be one. Their greatest sin has been their unholy alliance with at&t. Apple deserves every piece of mud thrown at them for at&t's lack of coverage. at&t will always be kicking and fighting everything cutting edge. They have a corporate mentality of the 1940's. If Apple ever dropped them their days as a major player would be numbered. Oh yeah, their responses to Verizon's claim made them look to be the fool that they are. Pitiful !!!!!!!!
  • Reply 80 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Ok #1... You are not being original in dinging SNL by saying that they are not funny or using the tired old line of "They're still on the air???"... SNL has been coming up with some of their funniest stuff in the last few years. A number of the Digital Shorts have been down right hilarious and Weekend Update with Seth Meyers is hands down better than any of the ones with Norm MacDonald.

#2... There is a lot of truth to the joke. Many people have had issues since 3.0 OS came out. I personally have this annoying thing that I cannot listen to a new voicemail within the first 5 minutes of receiving it unless I restart my 1st gen iPhone.

#3... I have no problem if we lose some of the current iPhone and Mac users out there, who are only using them because of the "perception of cool", due to any ad that Verizon can come out with or what some comics say on late night tv. Apple used to be about being different, having a different view on life. Some of these tweens and moronic adults that use our products are not wanted. Go back to your SanDisk mp3 players and Walmart eMachines....

This is not the first time NBC has used their on-air properties to disparage Apple. Wonder why they would do that? (MSNBC...)