Apple's Steve Jobs tops list of highest paid CEOs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Rob Enderle summed it up best when he described the legal problems of Steve Jobs in "Will Steve Jobs have to leave Apple?" at:

Enderle is hardly an unbiased person with respect to Apple. I don't expect people to be totally unbiased, but I don't want someone on the fringes like him having any sway over anything.

Quote:

The only open question is whether Apple could have adopted and developped Mac OS X without Steve Jobs as its CEO. Maybe not. But Steve Jobs has served his purpose and must now leave to open up the future of Apple.

OS X would likely have either been based on NeXT or BeOS, those were the two contenders. Scrapping the old Mac OS with OS X was a major gamble that was necessary, even if it hurt them for a few years. I'm not sure if OS X has any relation at all to the older versions other than general themes of how it operates, the code base is almost totally different.

IIRC, Steve was the one to take a major gamble on iPod, and now it's more than half of Apple's business.

Apple is still continuing to grow at fantastic rates, and I see nothing that suggests that Steve is hurting that growth, but rather, given Apple's growth rate, I think it's more likely that Steve is continuing to helping its growth.

I know his pay seems like a bit much, but whatever he's doing seems to be working extremely well for the most part, from a business perspective anyway. I can nit pick their products, but I can't contest their growth and profitability.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    kwanbiskwanbis Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Stock options: in other words, Steve kicked ass because Apple kicked ass. I see nothing wrong with this.

Don't get me wrong, but, as much as i love steve jobs, don't you think 650 million dollars is too much?
  • Reply 43 of 53
    alonso perezalonso perez Posts: 385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwanbis View Post

Don't get me wrong, but, as much as i love steve jobs, don't you think 650 million dollars is too much?

In a word, no. It was over a three year period, for one thing.

But the main thing is that Apple is, for good and bad, a one-man show.

Sure, plenty of über-talented people work at Apple. But talented people work at places like Microsoft, believe or not. Talented people with mediocre leadership achieve mediocre products. Jobs is one of the very few CEO's who actually deserves the pay he gets. Sure, he's a pain in the butt to work for; he's got plenty of defects, he's human.

But Apple and all its current portfolio of products wouldn't even exist if he hadn't come back to rescue it. Its market capital would be zilch. It would be a footnote, or at best a brand owned by Dell or HP-Compaq or Lenovo, and completely hollowed out of any meaning or value.

Jobs simply generates a lot of wealth. This is a man who will teach Motorola and Nokia how to build a decent cell phone interface!

Think about that.

Like others here, I hope he does good with his money. I also hope he raises pay to lowly manufacturing workers who work long days and deserve a fairer share. I hope he makes it count, and I'm not sure he will.

But he literally made his money. He created the wealth others could not. He deserves every penny.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    standardstandard Posts: 3member
    Steve is the one and only CEO on this planet who deserves his millions. And more.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    The article says:

Jobs' $646.6 million came in the form of restricted stock options that vested during the year, bringing his 5-year compensation total for work done at Apple to $650.17 million.

Meaning he was paid peanuts the previous years, and his AVERAGE is $130M per year for five years.

I don't know how the salaries average out for the other CEO's on the list, but on the surface, the article indicates he made LESS than Dell.

Given Apple's meteoric rise, Job's is underpaid! With a $1 salary, you would expect the reward the match the risk. I am presuming that the options were keyed into some levels of company performance - more companies should be run this way.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Rob Enderle summed it up best when he described the legal problems of Steve Jobs in "Will Steve Jobs have to leave Apple?" at:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31868/128/

You actually quoted Rob "I'm such a farkin' idiot, every prediction I've made about technology in the past ten years has turned out incorrect" Enderle!~ That's pretty brazenly stupid.

• Reply 47 of 53
    delreyjonesdelreyjones Posts: 335member
    Five years ago, or whenever it was before the iPod took off, we should remember that almost everybody was betting against Apple. Other CEOs would have also bet against their own company, demanded a large salary, and not been so interested in options. It says a lot of good about Jobs that he in essence promised to turn the company around big time. If he failed on his promise, he got nothing. If he succeeded, well, the bigger the success the bigger the reward. I personally am grateful to Jobs, cause I bet quite a bit of my own money at the same time he made his big bet, and now I'm preparing for retirement.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    cheng02cheng02 Posts: 1member
    I admire Steve. As another reader stated, it is a reflection of his commitment and ability to bring Apple to where it is today. It is definitely no easy task.

He seems so far away to us at the moment. Will anyone of us be able to reach where he is now?

The only right answer is "YES". However, why are we not achieving it yet? Bob Proctor says that "We go for what we can get. We should go for what we want."

We may not know how to get what we want. However, if we try and persist hard enough, we will find a way we may have not thought of before.

See, the things is you do not need to know how you will get there. You simply have to know where you want to get to and focus on it. Act on any action that comes. Do not doubt. Take action and do it.

Procrastination does not get you anywhere. It makes you doubtful and fearful. Then you will decide if it is the right thing to do.

Got a free report on attraction accelerator by Bob Proctor at www.visualizationexercise.com/rights.

You will definitely don't wanna miss this.

Cheng Cheng
  • Reply 49 of 53
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The financial publication reported that chief executives of America's 500 biggest companies got a collective 38 percent pay raise last year, to $7.5 billion; an average $15.2 million apiece.

Want to talk obscene? How much do you want to bet their employees didn't get 38% raises last year!

And if they do a poor job, there's that Golden Parachute waiting...

At least Steve's salary is tied to Apple's performance!
  • Reply 50 of 53
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajhill View Post

When Steve Jobs came back to Apple it was a 5 billion dollar company. Now it's a $80 Billion company.

$80 billion is based on what?

Market cap is ~$180 billion.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Apple will NEVER succeed in the market place beyond its paltry 5% or 6% US market share.

You're right, though it will go up higher than 5%-6%, but likely no more than 20%.

The majority of people will put up with mediocrity (or less than mediocre).
  • Reply 52 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Want to talk obscene? How much do you want to bet their employees didn't get 38% raises last year!

And if they do a poor job, there's that Golden Parachute waiting...

At least Steve's salary is tied to Apple's performance!

Really? That?s how companies should pay their employees? So what if they hit a recession and drop their sales are you suggesting that employees will be happy with paying back the difference?

I wish more companies would pay their executives with stock options so that their performance does affect the company. Too many come into a company with short term goals or just sit there long enough to get the sign-on bonuses, a massive paycheck and then a huge severance pay while sinking the company even more.

I don?t care how much Jobs has been paid since I?m profited greatly as a user of consumer technology and as an Apple stockholder.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

You're right, though it will go up higher than 5%-6%, but likely no more than 20%.

The majority of people will put up with mediocrity (or less than mediocre).

20% seems impossible to me. That is 1/5 of all PC sales being from Apple. From the consumer end, sure, and with the categories and prices that Apple sells in they?ve already exceeded that, but without having a sales model for business machines it?s just not going to happen without a paradigm shift to that huge market segment.