Apple's TV subscription plan gains potential partners in CBS, Disney

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Both CBS Corp. and Walt Disney Co. have shown interest in offering content for Apple's TV subscription proposal slated for roll out sometime in 2010.

Walt Disney Co. and CBS Corp. are considering participating in Apple's future plan to offer subscriptions for television shows through iTunes, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal. CBS would offer programs from its parent network as well as CW, while Disney would offer programs from its ABC, Disney Channel, and ABC Family networks.

Apple would pay the content providers $2 to $4 a month per subscriber for a broadcast network like CBS or ABC, and about $1 to $2 a month per subscriber for a basic-cable network, according to the WSJ.

The report also states that Apple has briefed companies on its forthcoming tablet device, which it calls a "multimedia gadget." The touchscreen device, larger than an iPhone but smaller than a laptop, is reportedly expected to arrive by the end of March 2010.

AppleInsider reported early in November that Apple had pitched a $30-a-month iTunes TV subscription plan to major networks in hope of gaining support for an "all-you-can-eat" subscription plan. At that point it was suggested that Disney would be the first to opt in. Disney was the first company to provide its programs over iTunes in 2005, and the company has close ties with Apple - CEO Steve Jobs is the company's largest single shareholder.

It is possible that Apple has changed its strategy somewhat due to push-back from some of the larger media companies. Many of the companies in question also have cable TV interests, meaning a potential deal with Apple could result in a decrease in traditional cable revenues. With Comcast's purchase of NBC Universal earlier this month, it would be unlikely that the company would be willing to participate in a deal, and would therefore weaken a potential "all-you-can-eat" subscription plan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Both CBS Corp. and Walt Disney Co. have shown interest in offering content for Apple's TV subscription proposal slated for roll out sometime in 2010.

Walt Disney Co. and CBS Corp. are considering participating in Apple's future plan to offer subscriptions for television shows through iTunes, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal. CBS would offer programs from its parent network as well as CW, while Disney would offer programs from its ABC, Disney Channel, and ABC Family networks.

Apple would pay the content providers $2 to $4 a month per subscriber for a broadcast network like CBS or ABC, and about $1 to $2 a month per subscriber for a basic-cable network, according to the WSJ.

AppleInsider reported early in November that Apple had pitched a $30-a-month iTunes TV subscription plan to major networks in hope of gaining support for an "all-you-can-eat" subscription plan. At that point it was suggested that Disney would be the first to opt in. Disney was the first company to provide its programs over iTunes in 2005, and the company has close ties with Apple - CEO Steve Jobs is the company's largest single shareholder.

It is possible that Apple has changed its strategy somewhat due to push-back from some of the larger media companies. Many of the companies in question also have cable TV interests, meaning a potential deal with Apple could result in a decrease in traditional cable revenues. With Comcast's purchase of NBC Universal earlier this month, it would be unlikely that the company would be willing to participate in a deal, and would therefore weaken a potential "all-you-can-eat" subscription plan.

I would love subscription content. Bring it on.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Not surprised. Apple knows content distribution like fish know water.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Anyone ready for Apple vs NBC round two?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...nes_shows.html
  • Reply 4 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Not surprised. Apple knows content distribution like fish know water.

Quoted for truth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

I think $1.99 is a lot but when I can?t find it on torrents and newsgroups or want to watch something right away I do head to iTunes. I?m sure I?ve spent thousands on iTS video at this point.

At this point I think NBC would be on board with Apple wanting subscriptions. While Hulu seems successful to users of the service I don?t think it?s a money maker so any additional revenue will be seen as positive. But I really don?t know, NBC does a lot of really stupid crap.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    I am hoping that they do not offer an "all you can eat" $30 a month plan but let me choose the networks that I want to subscribe to independently. Like, if I know that all I want to watch is Curb Your Enthusiasm and the Colbert Report, then I should be able to only subscribe to HBO and Comedy Central for something like $5 a month each.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rpurrept View Post

I am hoping that they do not offer an "all you can eat" $30 a month plan but let me choose the networks that I want to subscribe to independently. Like, if I know that all I want to watch is Curb Your Enthusiasm and the Colbert Report, then I should be able to only subscribe to HBO and Comedy Central for something like $5 a month each.

If they really make only $1 to $4 for a broadcast or basic cable stations then I don?t think that $5 for Comedy Central would be outrageous. That likely wouldn?t cover HBO, though. How much is that from cable companies, including the On Demand since that is how it?ll work?

Plus, I think people would be willing to pay that while also keeping their cable subscriptions if they could stream to their iPhone/Touch or watch via iTunes or itunes.com at work. That would be an additional $5 per person and still be more than they get from the cable and, presumably, satellite companies.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Quoted for truth.

I think $1.99 is a lot but when I can?t find it on torrents and newsgroups or want to watch something right away I do head to iTunes. I?m sure I?ve spent thousands on iTS video at this point.

At this point I think NBC would be on board with Apple wanting subscriptions. While Hulu seems successful to users of the service I don?t think it?s a money maker so any additional revenue will be seen as positive. But I really don?t know, NBC does a lot of really stupid crap.

$1.99 is alot!?? compared to what?? This is whats wrong with society.. we'll pay $8 for a coffee, but we woun't pay a dollar for a song to support an artist, or an extra 2 bucks for milk produced sustainably.. or $1.99 for a half an hour tv show.. do you know how much work goes into making a tv show?
  • Reply 8 of 41
    . . .
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rpurrept View Post

Hear hear! Most of the monthly cable subscription money subsidizes dozens of garbage channels that few people would watch. Unfortunately, the networks would refuse an "ala carte" plan unless forced to do so.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    I'd buy that for a dollar....
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

and on a slightly more serious note....

This would work very well for me, I dropped comcast 4 months ago and haven't looked back. But there are some shows that I would like to watch - for example the "Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report". To pay the daily iTunes costs for these two shows alone per month would cost more than my old comcast bills.

Subscription is the way to go.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Please bring a la carte choices. I will pay for ESPN.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Quoted for truth.

it doesn't really have to be a fight.

it's about options.

think about it this way. off the computer you can watch something when it airs, tape/tivo it and watch it later and fast forward the ads, or buy the box set.

this can be the digital version of the same thing.

hulu is your 'when it airs'

itunes (which would probably be the same files they do rentals but you can re-download over and over as you wish) is your 'tape/tivo'

the $1.99/2.99/season pass is your box set.

and if the choice leads to less shows on torrents etc, that's a double win
  • Reply 14 of 41
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

I could care less about NBC. They have no shows worth watching on all their channels with the exception of 30Rock. It would be a coup to get ABC and CBS as well as their cable channels. All else I would need is:

-the pay channels (HBO, SHO (also owned by CBS), IFC, etc.

-FOX and most especially FX

-PBS

You get those channels and I would move immediately.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Throw in live sports and I'm in.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I could care less about NBC. They have no shows worth watching on all their channels with the exception of 30Rock. It would be a coup to get ABC and CBS as well as their cable channels.

Apple is in good bargaining position to launch a subscription plan with or without NBCU. If you had to pick one of the big producer/distributors -- Disney/ABC, CBS, FOX and NBCU -- that you had to launch without based on content strength, you'd pick NBCU. The Office, 30 Rock, and House (on FOX) are the only only major properties you miss without NBCU content.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

Maybe also a 6000 SUX?
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Apple is in good bargaining position to launch a subscription plan with or without NBCU. If you had to pick one of the big producer/distributors -- Disney/ABC, CBS, FOX and NBCU -- that you had to launch without based on content strength, you'd pick NBCU. The Office, 30 Rock, and House (on FOX) are the only only major properties you miss without NBCU content.

I agree with that considering NBC is by far the lowest rated network. They are in a position where they need their content in as many places as possible even considering Comcast's ownership. With CBS & Disney, though, they have enough to get started with this service as they originally did with the iTunes music store.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I could care less about NBC. They have no shows worth watching on all their channels with the exception of 30Rock. It would be a coup to get ABC and CBS as well as their cable channels. All else I would need is:

-the pay channels (HBO, SHO (also owned by CBS), IFC, etc.

-FOX and most especially FX

-PBS

You get those channels and I would move immediately.

NBC has put themselves in a good position with SyFy and other bits they own including production companies that control quite a few good shows. They may have more than you think - or maybe you won't care but I like sci fi (even if it is a bit weak on their channel).
  • Reply 20 of 41
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

USA Network, and to a less extent the Sci Fi (er, I mean, SyFy) Channel, both owned by NBCU, would keep a lot of folks tied to their cable. Or they could purchase the individual shows from iTunes assuming Comcast doesn't pull NBC off iTunes all together (again). For the NBC shows I do watch, Hulu is fine for the occasional missed episode (always due to my Comcast DVR f**cking up and not recording what it's supposed to), but the quality isn't good enough to watch regularly.

News and sports...I can probably get most of that over the air. But I'd even be willing to pay for some games on the cable networks, even if it was after the game was over.