Google's Nexus One compared to Apple's iPhone, Motorola Droid

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New photos and a hands-on description have compared Google's custom-built Nexus One handset, rumored to be for sale to the public next month, with Apple's iPhone [updated with hardware specs].

Jason Chen of Gizmodo received some hands-on time with the hardware thanks to an anonymous source. He called the long-rumored, supposed Google Phone a "Droid killer" -- ironic, because Motorola attempted to position its Droid, which launched in November, as an "iPhone killer."

Chen said the Nexus one is slightly thinner and lighter than the iPhone 3GS. The back is somewhat rubbery, and feels less "cheap," he said, than the iPhone's plastic back.

"You can call the design the antithesis of the Droid: smooth, curved, and light, instead of hard, square and pointy," he said. "It feels long and silky and natural in your hand -- even more so than the iPhone 3GS."

Loading a Web page over Wi-Fi, the Nexus One was found to be the fastest of the three phones. The iPhone 3GS reportedly loaded a page "a few seconds later," while the Droid came in third. Chen said the results were consistent with a number of Web sites.

The Nexus One and iPhone 3GS reportedly had similar results with a Javascript benchmark test, though Mobile Safari on the iPhone scored better. The Droid came short of both handsets, with a score level at about 60 percent of its competitors.

The Nexus One screen was described as superior, with "vibrant" colors and darker blacks than its competitors. It was also said to be brighter. In comparison, Chen said the Droid and iPhone screens seemed "washed out."

"This is probably the best screen we've seen on a smartphone so far," he said. "Probably."

The Nexus One's 5-megapixel camera includes flash, though the picture quality was said to be unspectacular. The camera has autofocus, but does not have the tap-to-focus feature seen on the iPhone 3GS.

Google's handset also lacks multi-touch, was said to have mediocre music playback over its speakers, and call quality was not tested.

A run through of the Nexus One's interface was also uploaded to YouTube. It shows the speed of the phone and some of its new features.

Update: Engadget reported Wednesday morning new details and specifications on the Nexus One. They include:

Android 2.1

11.5mm thick

512MB RAM, 512MB ROM, 4GB microSD in-box expandable to 32GB

5 megapixel camera with mechanical AF and LED flash

HSPA 900 / 1700 / 2100, 7.2Mbps down and 2Mbps up -- in other words, yes to T-Mobile 3G and no to AT&T 3G, though you'll still be fine on EDGE

3.7-inch WVGA AMOLED display

The Web site was also told that the hardware will be available only by invitation at first, though details on how those invitations will be distributed were not known. It also added that T-Mobile will sell the device in the future, reaffirming previous reports.

Rumors of a supposed Google Phone have persisted for months, with various reports claiming the device will be made for sale in early 2010. Google supposedly designed the Nexus One hardware, which runs the company's Android mobile operating system, and contracted its manufacturing out to HTC.

Earlier this month, Google employees were issued the unlocked GSM phone, which has an OLED screen and runs a new version of Android. Google has been rumored to sell the device contract-free to customers starting in 2010, though wireless carrier T-Mobile is also said to offer a version of the phone under contract.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Hopefully iPhone OS 4.0 will move the goal posts a long way and make the copycats scramble to keep up.
  • Reply 2 of 106
    Let the races begin!
  • Reply 3 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hopefully iPhone OS 4.0 will move the goal posts a long way and make the copycats scramble to keep up.

I?d say so on both the HW for the 4th iPhone and iPhone v4.0. This ?Google? phone looks to have good aspects but it?s certainly no iPhone killer. It doesn?t look even look like a Droid killer.
  • Reply 4 of 106
    And the Great Android Fragmentation continues . . .
  • Reply 5 of 106
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I would actually consider this one a serious threat. About the only thing I see wrong with it is the lack of multi-touch. Browsing the web is so much easier without having to hunt for zoom buttons and to wrangle the screen into the right spot before zooming.

Unfortunately for them, the browsing is a big piece of the iPhone, given current mobile browser numbers being reported.

You'd think they would put some sort of multitouch to compete on a level playing field. Without it, they are still playing catch-up.
  • Reply 6 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I would actually consider this one a serious threat. About the only thing I see wrong with it is the lack of multi-touch. Browsing the web is so much easier without having to hunt for zoom buttons and to wrangle the screen into the right spot before zooming.

Unfortunately for them, the browsing is a big piece of the iPhone, given current mobile browser numbers being reported.

You'd think they would put some sort of multitouch to compete on a level playing field. Without it, they are still playing catch-up.

Even more than the multi-touch I am completely closed to this Google phone by the lack of double-tap to zoom into a webpage section. I think it?s often overlooked but I find this simple feature so usable that I can?t imagine not having it.

The same goes for two fingers on a trackpad for scrolling on Mac notebooks. At this point the scroll bars can be completely removed from my Mac and i won?t miss them.
  • Reply 7 of 106
    It is hard to understand how the back of the phone can be both silky and rubbery at the same time. The Nexus might feel good in the hand but it certainly is not silky!

The feel of the Iphone is amazing, so far nothing I have used has come close.
  • Reply 8 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Even more than the multi-touch I am completely closed to this Google phone by the lack of double-tap to zoom into a webpage section. I think it?s often overlooked but I find this simple feature so usable that I can?t imagine not having it.

The same goes for two fingers on a trackpad for scrolling on Mac notebooks. At this point the scroll bars can be completely removed from my Mac and i won?t miss them.

Double-tap is king. (I secretly desire to have that on my Mac.) Reverse-pinch feels clumsy in comparison to the elegance and simplicity of double-tapping. More phones should ?steal? double-tap; it would certainly avoid violating any multi-touch patents.
  • Reply 9 of 106
    It appears to be a nice phone, but I'll keep my sights on the next iphone, thank you
  • Reply 10 of 106
    i_ii_i Posts: 10member
    That is silly, it's like an uglier iphone. I don't like the lip on the bottom.

Seems like a similar phone to Apple's but a bit less pretty on top of being at a disadvantage with lower app quantity and quality. Nothing compares to the iphone app store.

Something has to be way better or way different to draw any attention away from Apple's strangehold.

My uncle's HTC HD2 is one of the nicest phones I've ever seen. Big beautiful screen really sets it apart, 800x480, made my iphone screen look small and low res. Also it's a beast in the specs department, has a nice 5MP cam and good overall slim design. There's one way to not be in Apple's shadow, just go for super high end luxury.
  • Reply 11 of 106
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

I saw the touch to zoom in the video. Was it not a double-tap, or was it single tap variant?
  • Reply 12 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Wow can we say read and regurgitate?

Thats kinda what happens when you have an OS thats completely open... people like htc come along and build their own little launch bars etc. Keep in mind here.. Google is the end all be all for android... their code branches are whats official.

I for one am happy there are competitors... I'd admit to being somewhat of an apple fanboy in the past, but lets face it, apple has treated the iphone as a tool to make money, and not anything else. I beleive its handling of software releases, or lack thereof has quite frankly been apalling.

"Let's release a phone thats really lax on features, and have the os locked down so end users cant fill in the gaps. Next lets abandon our current users, and current software so we can build some other new idevice that we can ream people for. "

I always thought having something like android around to keep apple in check was a fantastic thing... if apple thinks they are on top of the game, they wont do a damn thing to improve iphone or iphone software. IMO I think apple has dropped the ball big time with the iphone (specifically the iphone 3gs), and I hope they get schooled so that perhaps they will try and shed a bit of the arrogance going forward.
  • Reply 13 of 106
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Can you explain why?
  • Reply 14 of 106
    Quote:

At least, double tap to zoom in and zoom out works on vanilla Android 2.0
  • Reply 15 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Can you explain why?

I can tell you why he POSTED that, but I dont agree... 2 or 3 people (probably paid by <insert other wireless carrier>) who are utterly clueless, wrote factless articles about what they THINK is going to happen, and then lemmings go and read it as fact.
  • Reply 16 of 106
    The supposely iPhone killers are allways compared by hardware features (how many people know what speed the CPU in the iPhone runs at, hardly any).

While it's the software that makes the difference which it much, much harder to copy/come by (including proper SDK, desktop sync software etc.)

Small software things like have Core Animation: meaning ever app can easily use the same nice transitions (flipping around etc) as Apples own apps, make a big difference. By giving all apps the same polish and shine.

So the Nexus will come and go (like every other iphonekiller) while the iPhone (leading years on the software side) will keep it's steady climb in marketshare.
  • Reply 17 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronnyej View Post

I can tell you why he POSTED that, but I dont agree... 2 or 3 people (probably paid by <insert other wireless carrier>) who are utterly clueless, wrote factless articles about what they THINK is going to happen, and then lemmings go and read it as fact.

I also know why he posted it. But I'm trying that he explains why he's saying that.

But my experience with Quadra is that everything but Apple is a piece of crap.

Peoplo complains about teckstud but people like Quadra is not better. But they're with us, so they're good.
  • Reply 18 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronnyej View Post

Wow can we say read and regurgitate?

Thats kinda what happens when you have an OS thats completely open... people like htc come along and build their own little launch bars etc. Keep in mind here.. Google is the end all be all for android... their code branches are whats official.

I for one am happy there are competitors... I'd admit to being somewhat of an apple fanboy in the past, but lets face it, apple has treated the iphone as a tool to make money, and not anything else. I beleive its handling of software releases, or lack thereof has quite frankly been apalling.

"Let's release a phone thats really lax on features, and have the os locked down so end users cant fill in the gaps. Next lets abandon our current users, and current software so we can build some other new idevice that we can ream people for. "

I always thought having something like android around to keep apple in check was a fantastic thing... if apple thinks they are on top of the game, they wont do a damn thing to improve iphone or iphone software. IMO I think apple has dropped the ball big time with the iphone (specifically the iphone 3gs), and I hope they get schooled so that perhaps they will try and shed a bit of the arrogance going forward.

Have you tested or even played with a 3GS? I thought it to be just a minor upgrade myself, until I actually had a chance to play with one for about 20 minutes. This thing is a screamer compared with my 3G, not to speak of Voice Control, the improved camera. The 256MB RAM also eliminated the need to use "Free Memory" apps before launching a game. The coating on the screen itself is a great feature, much easier to slide your finger over the surface and doesn't smudge as much. I know the next version is going to be even more awesome, but this is a HUGE improvement over the 3G in almost every way for me, well worth the upgrade.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 19 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I saw the touch to zoom in the video. Was it not a double-tap, or was it single tap variant?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

At least, double tap to zoom in and zoom out works on vanilla Android 2.0

Yeah, I see it. Mea culpa. The Android-based phone I last used didn't have this feature but now that I think about it it had all sorts of problems so if may not not have been a SW limitation.
  • Reply 20 of 106
    Quote:

+1 for that. Between the scrolling, and LaunchBar, I hate using a different computer if it is not similarly equipped. Those two things speed navigation by leaps and bounds.