Piper: 75% chance of Apple Jan. event, 50% likelihood of tablet

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    From The Naked Gun:

"Doctors say that Nordberg has a 50 - 50 chance of living, though there's only a 10 percent chance of that."
  • Reply 22 of 37
    I suppose predicting a 99% chance of something coming out still leaves you a 1% chance of saying I told you it might not happen. 50/50 seems pretty safe

I really kinda hate these type of News Articles.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    I'm just waiting for the January event. I need my new imac media station and hope it gets at least a minor update..
  • Reply 24 of 37
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    If Apple has a January event then they should be announcing it soon. That's the nice thing about owning your own events in being able to spring them on people at the last minute. Steve's hype machine is in the works once more.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    They're gonna introduce the tablet during the 2010 super bowl to the theme of Arthur C Clarkes 2010 the year we make contact.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

If Apple has a January event then they should be announcing it soon. That's the nice thing about owning your own events in being able to spring them on people at the last minute. Steve's hype machine is in the works once more.

Thats what i'm hoping..i'm on vacation till Jan 10th and I figure there should be something by that time.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

What again is the appeal of the tablet form factor? I've been trying to understand it but I haven't grasped it yet. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to the excitement this product will generate and I'm going to try very hard not to want one.

A laptop requires a lap or desk... Try doing even the simplest of tasks on a laptop while standing and trying to balance with one hand/arm, while you do what ever it is your typing and scrolling with the other hand, while getting whiplash from all the head bobbing from keyboard to screen. A tablet would be so much easier, I bet! You've lost half the balancing act of an open screen floating out in the breeze while banging on the keyboard.

It also depends on what the tablet is to be used for and what's available to be seen on it, I guess... I mean, I wouldn't want to use it to type a ten page report for college or create a website or write a 300 word blog... give me a laptop or computer for that. However, multimedia magazines, newspapers, interactive e-books, pod casts, although a toss up with laptops tv and movies, iphone like apps that require little typing and uses the accelerometer and finger gestures instead, I could see on a tablet type device. And if it is more powerful regarding processing power over the iPhone, imagine what app store apps can be created for it! \

Have you ever tried that HP touch computer or laptop? Now that is where your question has more relevance. I mean, I have a keyboard and mouse, why would I want to put my greasy fingers on my screen?
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I don't know if they will go with mini display port for devices intended to connect to a TV. The Apple TV does have HDMI. Who knows, they could do something un-Apple like and include two ports

Newer Apple notebooks are using Mini DisplayPort and there should be some Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters by now (either Apple's own or third-party). Apple is offering the Mini DisplayPort license fee free to other manufacturers.

I believe the latest Mac minis offer both mini-DVI and Mini DisplayPort, but my guess is based on the limitations of a portable device, they would only pick one video connector for a tablet.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I'm still thinking Apple is going to start a new annual event much like the iPod event in the fall, except for video. This will probably be the year that Apple takes video as seriously as it does music.

Things to consider:

The Apple A/V dock features the old Apple remote, the current generation of iPhones/iPod Touch can probably support 720p video quite easily if Apple allowed it.

Apple TV is in dire need of an update (as usual) and 1080p hardware is readily available.

The 27' iMac screams for a blu ray drive.

iTunes subscription rumors are everywhere

Predictions:

New A/V dock with HDMI, supporting up to 720p playback. iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch firmware updated to allow playback of 720p files (mid product cycle sales boost).

Apple TV updated to support 1080p video (one could wish for apps and an API too, who knows).

Build to order blu ray drive options for new macs (would require an OS update).

iTunes/iTunes Store updated with 1080p video and some form of subscription service (both updates would probably be limited to a few select movies/tv show shows at first)

That in a nutshell is my vision of "Apple goes HD", the first iteration of an annual video event Apple holds in Jan/Feb. It makes a lot of sense to promote video as sales slow after Christmas and the winter months are a prime time for people to stay in the warmth of their own home and watch a movie. An Apple Tablet could easily fit in here and I would expect that future events would headline the Apple TV and the tablet, but given how much focus there is on magazines on the tablet and the sheer feature list it could have, I think it will probably have its own event this year. Another possibility would be updated Macbook pros with the new i7 chips, possibly with 16:9 screens (not that I want that, but they could go that way and it would fit the theme).

Of course I am probably completely out to lunch, but it is fun to dream.

Please don't take the following as being the same single-minded, rabid ranting of you know who.

While we are having fun dreaming, it would be nice if the January Event included the announcement that a matte finish screen was to be introduced as a BTO option on the new iMacs. I would also like to say however, that if money were a little more free-flowing in my house, I would go to the nearest Apple Store (Willowbrook Mall - Houston, Texas) right this minute and happily purchase either an i5 or i7 glossy screen iMac. I just think it would be nice to be able to compare glossy vs. matte side by side.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    60% of the time, it works Every Time.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The Great iPhone Fragmentation continues . . . .

Not really!

A single OS, UI and most apps are supported across the entire platform which consists of several different versions of several different devices.

--All devices can run the latest OS version

--An app that ran on the smallest, earliest iPhone (with it's original OS version) continues to run on the largest, latest devices with the latest OS version

--Any new app will run on any old device with requisite hardware, e.g. if it uses a camera, the device must have a camera.

It appears that Apple has done everything possible to create a unified platform that supports a disparate number of devices.

I suspect that this will continue with Tablet devices.

It has been obvious to anyone who develops apps for the platform that certain things like display size/shape/resolution will, likely, change as devices are added to the platform. The API provides for this "device independence" and a good developer will code accordingly.

• Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar View Post

60% of the time, it works Every Time.

(kudos on the N.R. references)
  • Reply 33 of 37
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Honestly I think Apple is gearing up to release an updated iPhone and/or iPod touch that's going to be a large step forward for gaming, and small but significant step forward otherwise.

The IPHONE developers that have been called in are working on IPHONE apps, new games to run on the new "all-about-gaming" hardware.

I bet it's not about the tablet at all.

aTV as the next incarnation of pippin.

I'm guessing tablet even if I would like an updated aTV that allowed iPod Touch games on the TV using the iPod and iPhones as controllers.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

There will always be a 50/50 chance of the "tablet" being announced/released because... it either will be or won't be.\

Until of course it actually gets announced in which case the odds increase to 100%.

What again is the appeal of the tablet form factor? I've been trying to understand it but I haven't grasped it yet. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to the excitement this product will generate and I'm going to try very hard not to want one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The Great iPhone Fragmentation continues . . . .

Anyone know the % of iPhone use in the toilet? I remember reading Jobs didn't want to make some that eveyone uses in the toilet. So there must be a study on it.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    I'll be happy and content with whatever Steve Jobs put out. The ability for a device to play music, browse web pages, and read electronic books would be wonderful.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Oh, when you're lurking on AppleInsider, it's so easy to have known all that so long before...
  • Reply 37 of 37
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

I'll be happy and content with whatever Steve Jobs put out. The ability for a device to play music, browse web pages, and read electronic books would be wonderful.

They are called iMacs, MacBooks, Macs, iPhones, iPod touch.