Apple issues driver updates for Epson, Lexmark printers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week released new printer drivers for Lexmark and Epson hardware on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. Lexmark Printer Drivers v2.2 is a 121MB download for Snow Leopard, while Epson Printer Drivers V2.2 weigh in at 546MB. Both are available via Software Update or for download direct from Apple.

An extensive list of compatible printers, scanners and faxes with Snow Leopard area available on Apple's support page. With Apple's latest operating system, Software Update will automatically provdid third-party printer software and updates. It also includes a list of available printers inside the printer dialog box with the "Nearby Printers" feature.

Users can also connect a USB printer and the print queue will automatically be created. PDF documents can also be created from any application, and have an automated workflow process it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week released new printer drivers for Lexmark and Epson hardware on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I happen to have an Epson (inkjet) and Lexmark (laser) printer at home - when I saw both updates I figured it was a blanket printer driver fix, and had low hopes.

However, the update has fixed the color issues with my Epson R200. I can now print photos or other color directly without having to jump through Windows, transferring files, etc. That was literally the *only* real problem I have had with Snow Leopard - Resolved!

Thank you!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

I happen to have an Epson (inkjet) and Lexmark (laser) printer at home - when I saw both updates I figured it was a blanket printer driver fix, and had low hopes.

However, the update has fixed the color issues with my Epson R200. I can now print photos or other color directly without having to jump through Windows, transferring files, etc. That was literally the *only* real problem I have had with Snow Leopard - Resolved!

Thank you!

Do I understand correctly that Mac owners cannot connect their chosen printer and have it "just work"? That they must consult a list and hope that their selection will be on it? WTF? Is this the DOS era?

And do I understand correctly that big printer companies don't even make drivers for Macs? That Apple itself has to support third party products? For the latest and greatest? WTF?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Do I understand correctly that Mac owners cannot connect their chosen printer and have it "just work"? That they must consult a list and hope that their selection will be on it? WTF? Is this the DOS era?

And do I understand correctly that big printer companies don't even make drivers for Macs? That Apple itself has to support third party products? For the latest and greatest? WTF?

I can't tell you how many years it's been since I came across a printer that didn't work with Mac OS. Typically, if you plug in a new printer, OS X 10.6 recognizes what it is and automatically downloads the latest driver. The printer manufacturers always include Mac OS drivers in the box anyway but the download system insures that it's the latest and greatest.