Apple schedules special event for Jan. 26, 2010 - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has reportedly scheduled a media event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco on Tuesday Jan. 26, 2010, for a major product announcement.

Citing inside sources, the Financial Times said Wednesday evening that Apple has rented the stage for "several days" at the end of January. Officials with Apple and the center declined to comment.

While the topic of the event is unknown, Wednesday's firestorm of tablet-related news could provide a strong hint:

The Financial Times had reported earlier that Apple's long-rumored touchscreen device was due for a Jan 2010 unveiling, and would enter into mass production soon after. The publication said the device would have something to do with Apple's rumored negotiations with TV networks for a subscription plan for video content on iTunes.

Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray said he believed there was a 75 percent chance that Apple will hold a special event in January. However, he said, it is not guaranteed that such an event would be about the long-rumored tablet device.

Another report alleged that a tablet with a 7-inch screen was due to be announced in January. That's different from months of reports that the device would have a 10-inch screen, though some have speculated Apple could release both form factors.

Silicon Alley Insider was told by a source that Apple asked developers to prepare full screen versions of their apps for a January demo. Apple reportedly wanted software to scale beyond the 320x480 pixel size of the current iPhone and iPod touch screen, but said that applications that can accommodate the larger screen size will run "just fine" on the new device.

Speculation about Apple's tablet has been rampant for months. While some believed the device would arrive this fall, AppleInsider first reported in July that the 10-inch, 3G-enabled device would debut in early 2010. The new hardware is said to have been created under the watchful eye of company co-founder Steve Jobs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 132
    Getting exciting!
  • Reply 2 of 132
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Tablet! (Hopefully)
  • Reply 3 of 132
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Tablet, what else.
  • Reply 4 of 132
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    I wonder what it will be called.. iTablet maybe.. not.. iPad?
  • Reply 5 of 132
    How about " isteve " lol
  • Reply 6 of 132
    Sounds we ae getting some new revolutionary product(s). Apple does not normally rent this large a venue for just announcing product updates or upgrades.

This smacks of a big deal, like the rumored Apple Tabet, or something of that magnitude!
  • Reply 7 of 132

When asked - What will happen in 2010 ?

"Something Wonderful"

Change The World?

• Reply 8 of 132
    The Beatles are coming to the iTunes Store!

• Reply 9 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

I wonder what it will be called.. iTablet maybe.. not.. iPad?

May be Mac Tablet or Tablet Mac.....
  • Reply 10 of 132
    There are several things Apple could do here:

iLife/iWork 2010

MacBook/MacBook Pros based on what will be just unveiled Intel chips

Mac Pro on new Intel chips

Apple TV next gen with TV subscriptions (and more)

Less likely, but still possible:

Preview OS X 10.7

Preview iPhone 4.0

Preview next gen iPhone

Of course the tablet is so expected that Apple would have a hard time not at least previewing it. Still, I can't help but wonder if this will be a single product launch or a full day of stuff.

And I want a new MacBook Pro!
  • Reply 11 of 132
    So if they staged the event with Steve Jobs coming out dressed up like Moses, and a giant hand bathed in yellow light reached down and handed him two Mac Tablets (a 7" and a 10")... do you think anybody would be offended?
  • Reply 12 of 132
    My birthday! unveil me a tablet, Your Steveness.
  • Reply 13 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radiospace View Post

So if they staged the event with Steve Jobs coming out dressed up like Moses, and a giant hand bathed in yellow light reached down and handed him two Mac Tablets (a 7" and a 10")... do you think anybody would be offended?

People would be all like, No Blueray? No buy.
  • Reply 14 of 132
    iPad? iSlate? Newton GS? MacBooklet? iPod Touch Maxi? iPod Touch Giga? (antonym of nano)
  • Reply 15 of 132
    The key announcement/theme of the January 26th event will be a complete rebranding of iTunes.

Of all of Apple's marketing messages, that is the true laggard, a legacy term. It has served Apple (and its shareholders like me) well for many years, but it's time to move on.
  • Reply 16 of 132
    iPod Touch Maxi sound cheap.. Maybe iTouch Tablet or just iTouch..

"iTouch you right there" could be a cool slogan..
  • Reply 17 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

iPod Touch Maxi sound cheap..

I don't know if it sounds *cheap*, but it definitely sounds like a product you'd only use once a month.
  • Reply 18 of 132
    Whatever it is, I wonder if there'll be a SuperBowl commercial.

1984 all over again?
  • Reply 19 of 132
    You can read my blog post about the soon to be announced Apple tablet by reading here: http://buildingiphoneapps.blogspot.com
  • Reply 20 of 132
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so how would an apple tablet be successful when others have not

is it multitouch

UI

or a complete new business model

wifi, 3g BT, then it could sub for a phone at times with a BT headset

namely--magazines, books, and i hope TEXTBOOKS, with a subscription service

we don't need to lug those heavy thick textbook around anymore

you could have your e-textbooks on a server like the apps store apps and just need to carry this tablet around

what problems are you looking to solve with this tablet???

i do also see if the UI is right.... helpful for hospitals, warehouses, students etc