Seriously... it's 2009 and no way to dock a MacBook Pro...?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

In the end, I actually agree with you. Apple won't make a dock for the laptops especially if only 25% of the people would get one. It's just a shame because if anyone could make a great docking solution, it's Apple.\

I actually think it would be even LESS than 25%... unless there's a bump in numbers just from the people that THINK they need one and want to get it "just because".

Ideally, even if it were something that they only offered on a top-of-the-line model for "pro" users, it'd be sweet. I doubt it's gonna happen, and the reality is, dollar-for-dollar, I can get more horsepower and bandwidth spending the same $$$ on a tower...

I am just throwing it out there that in "this day & age"... there really could (should?) be an elegant, integrated docking solution for a high-end Apple laptop. That's all.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Something like this would actually be cool. Too bad it's not Mac Compatible \

This Belkin one is nice too but not Mac compatible.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    This is the one thing that I wish MacBook Pros would have the most. I think the rationale behind not having a docking connector on the laptops is that Apple would rather we buy a MacBook Pro and an iMac to use as a desktop computer, rather than docking the MacBoook Pro and using it as a desktop of sorts. But that is not really ideal, money issues aside, it's more convenient to have one machine so you wouldn't worry about keeping files in sync, etc.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    Those clamoring for a docking station need to decide on what they are complaining about. Do you want:

1) the ultimate in functionality?

or

2) the most elegant solution (not sure two people will agree on what that means)?

Many if not most offices are wireless now and the trend is certainly in that direction. The point of mobile computing isn't just that you can take your PC home or on a trip but that it can moved anywhere in the office without thinking about cables. The need for Ethernet for office PCs is going away. On a broader scale, the idea of a "dock" runs counter to the concept of mobile computing anyway. You are effectively turning your laptop into a desktop, right?

That said, if true desktop functionality is what you need, there's this which I don't find too "inelegant":

http://www.BookEndzDocks.com/New_Pro...cbook_Pro.html
  • Reply 45 of 62
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Those clamoring for a docking station need to decide on what they are complaining about. Do you want:

1) the ultimate in functionality?

or

2) the most elegant solution (not sure two people will agree on what that means)?

Both.

Quote:

Many if not most offices are wireless now and the trend is certainly in that direction.

Trending in a direction and BEING there are two different things. The capabilities listed above (from nearly a year ago) are not wireless and GigE is still much faster than N. Do you like slower than necessary computing? Because that's what you get from hitting shared drives over N.

Whatever your definition for elegant is, it doesn't involve connecting 4+ cables every day. Power, video, USB, ethernet and occasionally firewire for me (external drive).

Quote:

The point of mobile computing isn't just that you can take your PC home or on a trip but that it can moved anywhere in the office without thinking about cables. The need for Ethernet for office PCs is going away. On a broader scale, the idea of a "dock" runs counter to the concept of mobile computing anyway. You are effectively turning your laptop into a desktop, right?

You are connecting your laptop to stationary resources. If wireless USB was widespread you might have more of a case.

The concept of mobile computing is to be able to take your computing resources wherever you go. Not that you must also sacrifice connectivity and access when you are at your own desk. Desktop replacement laptops are not counter to the concept of mobile computing.

Quote:

That said, if true desktop functionality is what you need, there's this which I don't find too "inelegant":

http://www.BookEndzDocks.com/New_Pro...cbook_Pro.html

Riiight. Because a docking station that doesn't provide power is elegant.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Riiight. Because a docking station that doesn't provide power is elegant.

Magsafe is patented and Apple hasn't licensed it. Complain to them, not the Bookenz people. Very few people need GigE (wireless "n" is fine for most) but this docking station has it. The Bookenz product has everything you need if you can manage to connect your patented Magsafe adapter. If you can't do that... well, it's just looking for something to complain about I guess.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Magsafe is patented and Apple hasn't licensed it. Complain to them, not the Bookenz people. Very few people need GigE (wireless "n" is fine for most) but this docking station has it. The Bookenz product has everything you need if you can manage to connect your patented Magsafe adapter. If you can't do that... well, it's just looking for something to complain about I guess.

There are ways around the magsafe limitation (cannibalization of actual power supplied) but it still doesn't make it any less inelegant as compared to something Apple could do.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-Ex...arger-s/91.htm
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

There are ways around the magsafe limitation (cannibalization of actual power supplied) but it still doesn't make it any less inelegant as compared to something Apple could do.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-Ex...arger-s/91.htm

How many people aren't buying the Bookenz dock because it isn't 'elegant' enough? If you think that number is large enough then there's a business opportunity for you.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Quote:

How many people aren't buying the Bookenz dock because it isn't 'elegant' enough? If you think that number is large enough then there's a business opportunity for you.

It's not just inelegant, it doesn't work for the most part, and might actually break the laptop. Just read the rest of this thread, it effectively convinced me not to get a hackish solution like this. Not that this is mostly Bookendz's fault. It's the best they can do because Apple doesn't offer a docking port. Which simply means the solution is simply for Apple to provide a docking port.

This concept is not new or anything, so I'm not sure why it seems foreign to so many people. All that's needed is something like this: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-61297.html

MagSafe patent becomes a nonissue because power is routed through the dock connector.

Mobile computing doesn't mean that people should be limited to the laptop's 13-17inch screens when they have 24-30 inch displays at their desks, or limited to wireless-N speeds when they have gigabit ethernet connections at their desks, etc. Until wireless internet catches up to gigabit speeds and wireless displayport connections are possible, having a fully wireless world is a fantasy.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

It's not just inelegant, it doesn't work for the most part, and might actually break the laptop. Just read the rest of this thread, it effectively convinced me not to get a hackish solution like this. Not that this is mostly Bookendz's fault. It's the best they can do because Apple doesn't offer a docking port. Which simply means the solution is simply for Apple to provide a docking port.

This concept is not new or anything, so I'm not sure why it seems foreign to so many people. All that's needed is something like this: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-61297.html

MagSafe patent becomes a nonissue because power is routed through the dock connector.

Mobile computing doesn't mean that people should be limited to the laptop's 13-17inch screens when they have 24-30 inch displays at their desks, or limited to wireless-N speeds when they have gigabit ethernet connections at their desks, etc. Until wireless internet catches up to gigabit speeds and wireless displayport connections are possible, having a fully wireless world is a fantasy.

So what are you going to do... buy five monitors, five keyboards, five mice, and five docks -- one set for each place you use your "laptop"? If you think you need to replicate this full desktop experience, complete with GigE, everywhere you go then this expensive Rube Goldberg solution is what you'll need.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:

So what are you going to do... buy five monitors, five keyboards, five mice, and five docks -- one set for each place you use your "laptop"? If you think you need to replicate this full desktop experience, complete with GigE, everywhere you go then this expensive Rube Goldberg solution is what you'll need.

I don't see what's so difficult to understand. I have a workstation where I have a big monitor, keyboard, mouse, gigabit ethernet, printer, usb storage, and speaker set, and when I'm at this workstation, I would like/need to connect my laptop to these things. But I also carry my laptop elsewhere to do work. Is it so hard to understand that I would like these conveniences when they are available, but I'm able to work when they are not? Not to mention I do different kinds of work while at the workstation and while I'm not. When I'm at the workstation I can fully utilize the usb storage, but if I'm going to be away I can temporarily store what I need to work on on the laptop's hard drive and transfer them back to the usb storage the next time I'm at the workstation. This should be very familiar to anyone who has both a desktop and a laptop, the only difference is that instead of having a separate desktop, having a docking station means you can use one machine that does both. I don't see why this way of working is so difficult to understand. It's not about duplicating the desktop experience whereever you go, it's about having it in your primary work space because the desktop work experience is much more convenient and efficient than the laptop one, while also being able to instantly carry your computer around when you need to leave your workstation.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

I don't see what's so difficult to understand. I have a workstation where I have a big monitor, keyboard, mouse, gigabit ethernet, printer, usb storage, and speaker set, and when I'm at this workstation, I would like/need to connect my laptop to these things. But I also carry my laptop elsewhere to do work. Is it so hard to understand that I would like these conveniences when they are available, but I'm able to work when they are not? Not to mention I do different kinds of work while at the workstation and while I'm not. When I'm at the workstation I can fully utilize the usb storage, but if I'm going to be away I can temporarily store what I need to work on on the laptop's hard drive and transfer them back to the usb storage the next time I'm at the workstation. This should be very familiar to anyone who has both a desktop and a laptop, the only difference is that instead of having a separate desktop, having a docking station means you can use one machine that does both. I don't see why this way of working is so difficult to understand. It's not about duplicating the desktop experience whereever you go, it's about having it in your primary work space because the desktop work experience is much more convenient and efficient than the laptop one, while also being able to instantly carry your computer around when you need to leave your workstation.

No problem then... buy a Bookenz dock and rejoice! As long as you can spend the extra two seconds to connect the Magsafe adapter, you're all set.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Seriously some posters here are complete drama queens.

Why fuckabout with all the connections just buy a desktop to compliment your macbook.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Seriously some posters here are complete drama queens.

Why fuckabout with all the connections just buy a desktop to compliment your macbook.

You are talking about at least $800 extra to spend every time you want to upgrade your system if you buy a desktop to complement your laptop instead of using a docking station. Not to mention the extra money you'd have to pay to purchase two licenses instead of one for all the software you use legally.

And when you are working at your workstation, if you have to go somewhere, you can't just undock your laptop and take all your work files with you. You have to boot up both your systems, sync your desktop and laptop, and then take your laptop. Good luck doing that when you are hurrying to a meeting or something.

For someone who doesn't need a desktop, but just want their laptop hooked up to a big monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. when working at a fixed location, buying an extra desktop makes very little sense.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    soooo, if we get this rumored tablet, don't you think that people will migrate away from heavy laptops back to large home machines and just connect back to mac? Prior to the 27" iMac I was thinking my next purchase (to replace my MacBook Pro) would be another MBP, but I'm thinking not.. especially since my MBP has become a desktop and I pretty much use a cheap netbook for everything....

In my case, a tablet and an iMac would be superior to a MBP.

Seems odd to consider buying a desktop again, but...if a tablet comes, I'm doing it. It'll be cheaper and closer to how I use technology than a big MBP.

The network becomes the dock.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    BTW, Dell has already introduced wireless charging and docking to one of their laptops.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    I am running on OS X Tiger, and I am noticing that the icons on my dock sometimes get frozen after I roll over them and they magnify. The icons work just fine, but aesthetically it really bothers me. It usually doesn't go away until I restart.Is anyone else having this problem? Is there anything I can do about it?
  • Reply 58 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    It seems to me that the solution is to buy a Lenovo. Despite whatever Apple says, their notebooks are high end consumer notebooks. Of the very few people that I've known that actively used a dock, I think they only had one, at their desk. And this was back in 1998, I don't know how much longer they used it.

That said, I don't think anyone has the mobility equation nailed. Personally, I'd love to have my Windows and Mac profile on a USB drive and log into it from anywhere. I'm sure there are solutions out there, but if the capability is not built into every machine (even if turned off by default), I think it's falling short of where it should be now.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lightwaver67 View Post

And no... I don't mean some 3rd-party solution that grotesquely clamps itself on to either side.

The word "Pro" is in the title of the product... it is also your higher-priced flagship model - you MUST know that professional power-users are going to purchase these units and plug in all SORTS of peripherals.

There REALLY SHOULD (at least in MY humble opinion) be an Apple-designed solution to users that want/need to "dock" their computers. Maybe a high-end model that has a concealed multi-pin bar on the bottom that connects with the dock... I mean honestly, between Ives and the entire Apple industrial design team, I am sure they could find an elegant solution to docking a laptop. I'd rather have one, persistent unit that I connect my ethernet, audio in/out, USB (over 6 devices and a hub), firewire drives and the occasional firewire camcorder, video out, power/charging... there's a whole host of reasons people need to keep things connected to a docking station instead of repeatedly plugging & unplugging numerous connections.

I'd love to think they already have a solution - or many - in the works... or even completed... but if that's the case, then why not implement...? Is the demand for "dockability" not high amongst Apple portable users...? I dunno. I just wish there were an elegant solution.

Um, buy a desktop.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It seems to me that the solution is to buy a Lenovo. Despite whatever Apple says, their notebooks are high end consumer notebooks.

Unfortunately, that's very true. It's unfortunate because many people in my field do their professional work on Macs, because OS X offers a very nice Unix-based, POSIX-complaint environment. Sure, alternatively one can install Linux on Lenovos, but the Linux desktop experience is not as nice as OS X, and one loses compatibility with many applications that are limited to Windows+OS X. So we are in this unfortunate situation where MB/MBPs are the best notebooks for some professionals but Apple doesn't really pay attention to their needs, such as being able to dock their notebooks, because Apple is more consumer-oriented with its notebook line.