Apple's tablet interface said to 'surprise,' Jobs pleased

Comments

• Reply 41 of 176
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes I know, but Apple does make dual compilers. Just like they did for PPC and Intel. Write once, compile two versions.

One for iPhone/iPod Touch another for OS X and Mac's. Mac sales get a boost because only with a Mac can one sync and use the same Apps on both types of devices, home computer and their portable device.

Pray tell why on earth would you want to use an iPhone app on a real computer with hugely larger displays and far more effective input methods?

Answer: You don't.

Quote:

Developers are going bananas over the iPhone OS, but not OS X.

Because the mobile space has been a real pain in the ass to develop for until the iPhone. There was a huge rush for low hanging fruit but as most devs have noticed, it takes some real work to make popular apps even today.

Quote:

People's needs are changing, they want a small easy to use portable device with a lot of features and not a big complicated computer that has a steep learning curve.

Wake me when we have a keynote player on the iPhone much less the entire iWork suite. I'm hoping that Apple will port iLife to ARM but I'm not betting on it.

Quote:

Apple has been pushing bluetooth keyboards as standard on Macs, no doubt one could easily wire up a bluetooth to a iTablet or future iPhone. Perhaps this is another key point in my argument.

Apple thus far hasn't seen fit to allow bt keyboard to work with the iphone easily. Which would have been really nice actually so that isn't a key point in your argument as much as an indication that Apple is keeping the product lines very distinct.

A cheaper iTable will never be allowed to cannibalize the highly profitable notebook line.
  • Reply 42 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I

Wanna bet $1000? $10,000? They didn't just sink an assload of engineering effort into Snow Leopard to future proof it for multi-core just to declare it done.

Good point.
  • Reply 43 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Jobs is also pleased with the Magic Mouse. Means nothing. Show me the product and I'll decide for myself.

Ireland, who are these people????

Who are these noobs coming here to these latest threads acting like they've been here all along?

It's been me, Ireland, spamsandwich, wizard, and a few others who have been here from the very beginning talking about the tablet while the rest of you guys were calling us idiots and it would never happen. Heck, we were talking about this back even before you naysayers even had a twinkling in your eye about the tablet.

Now it's "omg I can't wait to buy one"...."omg do you think it will match my purse...teehee....derrrrrrr!"

You guys should be bowing before us begging our forgiveness for being so doubtful and foolish. And furthermore, the admins should give our little group like...I dunno....rewards or something. Make our forums names red or something with shiny stars and logos that say "forum prophet"!
  • Reply 44 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The iPhone OS is a device specific variant of OS X. Different devices need different UI, driver, graphics, communications and I/O conventions; there are any number of desktop OS X features that would make no sense whatsoever on a phone.

Apple will continue to leverage the scalability of OS X to create versions that are tightly integrated with the hardware at hand. That, however, has nothing to do with abandoning OS X-- quite the opposite.

Excellent summary, to which I would add, leverage is the name of the game that Apple appears to have mastered. Apple was able to move into the mobile phone market by leveraging OSX and the iPod. Once they'd accomplished that, they leveraged the iPhone into a multipurpose mobile computing platform with the App Store. Now they are poised to move into a new market by leveraging both OSX and the App Store.

I think this cleverly conceived strategy this tells us volumes about how the Apple of the 2000s is fundamentally different than the Apple of the 1990s. Today's Apple has long-term plans mapped out into the future, predicated on building and leveraging success. Compare to today's Microsoft, which seems to be failing around, hoping to stumble onto success. Which is ironic, because for years they were the masters of leveraging, and Apple was failing around.
  • Reply 45 of 176
    I posted this on the Times blog quoted by AI:

"Admission: I *am* an Apple fanboi; believe that Steve Jobs is Willy Wonka incarnate; and am generally looking forward to what I imagine will be an amazing product, but ...

I'm wondering what the actual reading experience will be like. Right now, if I try to read on my iPhone when I'm in bed at night, it's like having a flashlight shine into my tired eyes - very uncomfortable.

E-ink seems to be the best technology for reading at the moment ... I hope that Apple will somehow manage to incorporate something like this, though it seems incompatible with a screen that would also display movies, etc."
  • Reply 46 of 176
    Here is my theory. Based on patents that were revealed to this forum and others many months ago (a year or more?), I believe the very pixels of the screen of this device will be able to move up and down to create various shapes that would provide feedback that no clumsy "haptic" method would ever be able to do.

A shape shifting device! When I'm proven to be correct I expect the appropriate recognition and monetary compensation from all forum members as is required in the Terms and Conditions set forth on this website.
  • Reply 47 of 176
    Quote:

Pray tell why on earth would you want to use an iPhone app on a real computer with hugely larger displays and far more effective input methods?

Answer: You don't.

What are widgets then?

Quote:

Because the mobile space has been a real pain in the ass to develop for until the iPhone. There was a huge rush for low hanging fruit but as most devs have noticed, it takes some real work to make popular apps even today.

All the more the Apps be able to be written for OS X too.

Quote:

Wake me when we have a keynote player on the iPhone much less the entire iWork suite. I'm hoping that Apple will port iLife to ARM but I'm not betting on it.

We will see when the iTablet arrives. It might have a new hybid iPhone/Mac OS X interface that can run new types of iLife apps without the use of a mouse.

Quote:

Apple thus far hasn't seen fit to allow bt keyboard to work with the iphone easily. Which would have been really nice actually so that isn't a key point in your argument as much as an indication that Apple is keeping the product lines very distinct.

It's because Apple is forcing people to use a touch keyboard on the iPhone/iPod Touch, but with a larger screen on the iTablet it opens the possibility of it having a kickstand (like a picture frame) and a optional wireless keyboard.

Quote:

A cheaper iTable will never be allowed to cannibalize the highly profitable notebook line.

Not at $600, and that's why it's going to run the iPhone OS. You want to run OfficeMac, you have to pony up another $400 for the MacBook.

The iTablet is Apple's answer to the netbook market.
  • Reply 48 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Ireland, who are these people????

Who are these noobs coming here to these latest threads acting like they've been here all along?

It's been me, Ireland, spamsandwich, wizard, and a few others who have been here from the very beginning talking about the tablet while the rest of you guys were calling us idiots and it would never happen. Heck, we were talking about this back even before you naysayers even had a twinkling in your eye about the tablet.

Now it's "omg I can't wait to buy one"...."omg do you think it will match my purse...teehee....derrrrrrr!"

You guys should be bowing before us begging our forgiveness for being so doubtful and foolish. And furthermore, the admins should give our little group like...I dunno....rewards or something. Make our forums names red or something with shiny stars and logos that say "forum prophet"!

GOFs (Grand Old F**ts), we bow before you! We are not worthy!
  • Reply 49 of 176
    Quote:

Yes I know, but Apple does make dual compilers. Just like they did for PPC and Intel. Write once, compile two versions.

One for iPhone/iPod Touch another for OS X and Mac's. Mac sales get a boost because only with a Mac can one sync and use the same Apps on both types of devices, home computer and their portable device.

Apple is pushing whatever makes hardware sales and software sales gives a reason to buy hardware.

Developers are going bananas over the iPhone OS, but not OS X. People's needs are changing, they want a small easy to use portable device with a lot of features and not a big complicated computer that has a steep learning curve.

It could be a hybid OS X/iPhone App type OS. I won't discount that. But I'm sure the familiar OS X is not going to be be visible to most users.

Then why no Apps for OS X? It would seem logical to have both running on both like Apple normally does to boost hardware sales.

Apple has been pushing bluetooth keyboards as standard on Macs, no doubt one could easily wire up a bluetooth to a iTablet or future iPhone. Perhaps this is another key point in my argument.

Not for quite some time, if Apple doesn't allow Apps on OS X and if the iTablet has the iPhone OS only, OS X is certainly being shown the door in my opinion.

Just look at the App Store, you have to jailbreak your iPhone to run third party apps, to get the freedom of a computer to run what you want. The same will occur with the iTablet.

Seriously, you really don't know what you're talking about

You are saying that apple is going to kill Mac OS X. And your reason?? Macs don't run iPhone apps? Have you lost your mind?? Do you have any idea how much money has been going and still going into OS X development. Do you even understand what snow leopard means for the future???

You say people's needs are changing, and netbooks are replacing laptops and desktops! BULLSHIT

netbooks are not replacing desktops at all.

netbooks is basically a new concept that lets people access the internet on the go. a little more maybe.

You still need a proper computer for any work.

There are more and more people that need to work on a computer. Photoshop, graphics, video editing. are you saying that these things will be done on the iTablet? Seriously? how will the tablet have so much power, when even the mac pro feels like it should be improved.

Maybe yes one day touchscreens will replace the mouse, but thats a long way ahead. Also, to replace the OS X, the iPhone OS would need to scaled up a lot, at which point its basically OS X with a different UI, and thats just evolution not killing off OS X.

Finally I really need to ask, why the hell would you want iPhone apps on a mac? seriously there are enough free apps for the same things.

Also iPhone apps are meant to work on an iPhone with a touch-screen, not on a computer with a keyboard and mouse.

Seriously, windows mobile apps didn't run on windows. Did that mean that microsoft was going to kill windows off??
  • Reply 50 of 176
    Quote:

When Apple didn't allow Apps on OS X.

Apple can easily make a dual compiler, they did it with PPC and Intel processors, it's because they don't want Apps running on OS X.

You would think the advantage of having Apps on both the iPhone and their home computer would boost Mac sales, so they could sync and all, Apple makes more sales of Mac hardware in the process.

They are not doing that because they are going to let OS X die as the new iTablet/App OS takes over.

Apple is trending towards a new OS and a simpler interface with new hardware devices.

Play chess enough, you begin to see 20 or 30 moves ahead.

what are you talking about. You develop apps for Mac and touch with the same tools. The OS is the same, most of the frameworks are the same, but one is different. Cocoa vs Cocoa touch. Cocoa is optimized for a mouse/keyboard interface and Cocoa touch is optimized for touch interface.

A complier switch to build a Mac app from an iPhone app wouldn't (and shouldn't) work. But dual apps with 90% common code with the remaining 10% optimized for each OS does work quite well.

And far from the number of MacOS apps suffering as a result, they will only increase as more and more developers build apps with OS X/Objective C.

And far from signaling the decline of Macs, these products only lead to more mac sales.
  • Reply 51 of 176
    Quote:

I believe Apple has realized that OS X is too complicated for their customers, also devices like hard drives, cd burners etc are all going away, making computers less complicated. So they are focusing on a simpler OS and it's huge supply of Apps to drive hardware sales.

I've been realizing that for some time now. I see the iPhone OS moving upward slowly, hence the tablet rumored to have iPhone OS and no sign of a netbook or cheap notebook from Apple, but Mac OS X will stay around for a long time.

Quote:

I'm hoping for both iLife and iWork to be ported to the tablet.
  • Reply 52 of 176
    If that current senior Apple employee actually said that, then they no longer have a job at Apple.
  • Reply 53 of 176
    Quote:

In these tough times...

A few things are clear from your post: 1) you must not own AAPL stock; 2) you over value your deductive reasoning skills; and 3) you don't understand the strategy Apple has been using in their offerings for the last 8-9 years.

OSX vs iPhone OS is a macro/micro play. One doesn't cannibalize the other; they play different roles in their ecosystem. I would never have paid $5 for a calculator app on my laptop (nor would a developer ever be able to make a profit selling for that), but to do it on the iPhone is no big deal.

Conversely, I really don't want to have AutoCAD on my iPhone. No matter how nice it might be to be able to pull up a drawing on my phone and correct a quick mistake, it isn't a logical solution given resource availability.

In the old days, I would draft reports on my blackberry because that is what I had with me. It was limited utility despite the convienence: the screen was too small to let the content flow. The challenge today posting this on my iPhone is the same, if not worse.

A full blown operating system and apps have their place just as scaled down systems do. Apple's genius is in being able to build on those gaps to create synergy. At least in the marketing material.
  • Reply 54 of 176
    iTunes has been such a huge hit that it has changed the music industry forever. The keys to that success were the unbundling of individual songs from a CD (not having to buy the entire CD); easy access over the Internet; and $1 per song pricing making it an easy purchase decision for most buyers.

The iPhone and iPod Touch have been huge hits. The cell phone industry is changed forever. The keys to those successes are the slick user interface and the amazing online App Store with 100,000 plus Apps to download most at very low prices or free. There are many imitators but none have been very successful to date mainly because of the App store scale and momentum. Competitors can match hardware features but they can't deliver the software which is what really makes it work.

Will the iPad or iTablet do the same for publishing? I think it may if Apple can convince publishers to price their products low enough. The low price per song and the low average price per app were crucial for the other products delivered via iTunes.

There is no question that Apple will deliver a beautifully designed device with user friendly interface. I think it will be more attractively priced than most pundits are predicting. Apple will also take care of distribution most likely charging publishers just 30% of the sales price (much less than their costs of printing and physical distribution especially for glossy magazines). Publishers will have the opportunity to reinvigorate their businesses so long as they don't get too greedy on pricing. They need to be thinking about a business model change from low volume/high price to high volume/low price. If they do that, I believe it will work out for them.

The same comments on pricing apply to the TV and Movie content providers. They are being offered a opportunity that they can blow with high pricing. I think they've already done that with movie pricing on iTunes.
  • Reply 55 of 176
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its difficult for me to see Apple creating a third version of OS X and a second version of OS X with a touch UI. Apple likes to keep a simplicity and cohesion across its products. I do agree a 10" touch screen device will require some slightly different UI elements than a 3" screen. But I think the tablet will be based on the iPhone OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1)

4) I can?t see an Apple tablet using iPhone OS. There is little about the iPhone OS UI that works on a device with a 10? display that is used not as a phone nor as a pocketable PMP. Logic seems to dictate that it will be a new UI designed around the new HW and I/O. It will undoubtedly have aspects of both the Mac OS and iPhone OS with new elements specific to the Tablet OS used.

• Reply 56 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naman34 View Post

Seriously, you really don't know what you're talking about

You are saying that apple is going to kill Mac OS X. And your reason?? Macs don't run iPhone apps? Have you lost your mind?? Do you have any idea how much money has been going and still going into OS X development. Do you even understand what snow leopard means for the future???

What I am saying is Apple is going to further advance the simpler UI of the iPhone OS into the iTablet and possibly future devices at the expense of OS X UI on Mac's.

As iTablets get more powerful with the cooler and more powerful processors Intel has coming down the pipeline, the iPhone OS UI will become more powerful and feature rich.

As more people buy the iTablet and other similar iPhone OS UI based hardware, Mac OS X UI as we know it will cease to exist.

The transition will be gradual and eventual.

Quote:

You say people's needs are changing, and netbooks are replacing laptops and desktops! BULLSHIT

netbooks are not replacing desktops at all.

netbooks is basically a new concept that lets people access the internet on the go. a little more maybe.

Netbooks are seriously cannibalizing laptop sales on the PC side, the iTablet will also do the same to MacBooks.

Google's Chrome OS is nothing but a glorified browser, office software will run on Google's servers. Marry Chrome to a netbook and it will sell well, especially because of it's simpler UI.

Apple is trending towards a simpler UI as well. Simple UI means less headaches and a shorter learning curve, making it more easily adopted by the computer newbies Apple mostly caters too.

Quote:

You still need a proper computer for any work.

There are more and more people that need to work on a computer. Photoshop, graphics, video editing. are you saying that these things will be done on the iTablet? Seriously? how will the tablet have so much power, when even the mac pro feels like it should be improved.

Right now Intel has protype processors with as much as 80 cores that take less power and produce less heat than today's duo core processors. So the power is coming, it's that Apple is sewing up a new OS form factor and tight App Store control to minimize the computer learning curve in the future hardware.

Quote:

Maybe yes one day touchscreens will replace the mouse, but thats a long way ahead. Also, to replace the OS X, the iPhone OS would need to scaled up a lot, at which point its basically OS X with a different UI, and thats just evolution not killing off OS X.

Touchscreens and a stylus will replace the mouse. I see a more powerful iPhone OS for the iTablet.

Quote:

Finally I really need to ask, why the hell would you want iPhone apps on a mac? seriously there are enough free apps for the same things.

Also iPhone apps are meant to work on an iPhone with a touch-screen, not on a computer with a keyboard and mouse.

Again, why isn't the iPhone Apps also compiled for OS X?

Sure it might be hair different to work with the hardware interface of a Mac, but that's no big deal. The big deal is developers can get more income from Mac sales of Apps as well as the iPhone Apps, Apple benefits from more Mac sales as the Apps will be (nearly) the same on both platforms.

The reason for this is that I believe Apple is introducing a change of the primary OS UI to a simpler version with a smaller learning curve.

The two platforms are not working very well together neither, if they did, there would a lot more Apps sold that also work with the iPhone together on the App Store.

Quote:

Seriously, windows mobile apps didn't run on windows. Did that mean that microsoft was going to kill windows off??

Microsoft is supposedly going to do a tablet too.

You see, a Tablet is a iPhone with a lot more power and screen size. It invades the computer space.

I see Apple further promoting the iPhone OS UI at the expense of Mac sales and future because they are attempting to make a simpler UI and crowd out unwanted software.

Has anyone seen BlueRay in a Apple Mac yet? No and you won't.

Removing the Superdrive is a eventual goal of Apple, who Steve has a big hand in media circles. He is attempting to give media companies their hardware lock in again, by making it a "Pro" only option for OS X users. Regular iPhone OS UI users won't get it access to hardware like cd/dvd/blueray burners and readers.

Anyone who thinks the iTablet is going to get a hard drive or Superdrive/blueray is out of their mind.
  • Reply 57 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

My girlfriend's brother goes to the University of Michigan. He said he plans on buying a 27" iMac soon. I asked him why doesn't he buy a laptop like most of the rest of college students. He said he doesn't need a laptop because his iPod Touch satisfies all of the things he'd need a laptop for. I think this device may have that effect on other users. Desktop at home, tablet for the road.

Are you sure it won't be laptop at home (saves space), tablet on the road. Desktop only for those who want a home/media server.
  • Reply 58 of 176
    Quote:

Once the iTablet comes out with the iPhone OS, it will cannibalize Mac sales, much like netbooks cannibalize laptop sales.

I think the new tablet will satisfy a new need. I highly doubt that Apple would put out something that would cannibalize mac sales. Doesn't sound like Apple at all.
  • Reply 59 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

And far from signaling the decline of Macs, these products only lead to more mac sales.

Damn straight. I have half a dozen friends who never considered a Mac getting one in the next few months because of their love affairs with their iPhones...
  • Reply 60 of 176
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macsyrinx View Post

Good call Dave

Actually Jobs never said he was pleased with said mouse.

Neither did Apple's marketing material.

They DO tout the new multi-touch mouse, though.