Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain

Comments

• Reply 41 of 171
    Remember this? Executive Editor of the NY Times referring to the "Apple Slate"

http://gawker.com/5389636/bill-kelle...blet-impending

"I'm hoping we can get the newsroom more actively involved in the challenge of delivering our best journalism in the form of Times Reader, iPhone apps, WAP, or the impending Apple slate..."- Bill Keller
  • Reply 42 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacWhore View Post

Remember this? Executive Editor of the NY Times referring to the "Apple Slate"

http://gawker.com/5389636/bill-kelle...blet-impending

"I'm hoping we can get the newsroom more actively involved in the challenge of delivering our best journalism in the form of Times Reader, iPhone apps, WAP, or the impending Apple slate..."- Bill Keller

"Slate" is a very generic term for a type of tablet (as opposed to a "convertible" tablet). You'll note the lower-case "s" in that quote.
  • Reply 43 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's ownership of the domain was displayed for several weeks in late 2007 before being quickly changed back to MarkMonitor.

If Apple had it in their name for several weeks, how was it determined that they quickly handed it over to MarkMonitor? Sensationalizing a bit, are we?
  • Reply 44 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

"Slate" is a very generic term for a type of tablet (as opposed to a "convertible" tablet). You'll note the lower-case "s" in that quote.

What do you make of this? - http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/25/...a-magic-slate/
  • Reply 45 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacWhore View Post

What do you make of this? - http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/25/...a-magic-slate/

As I said, Apple owns a lot of domains. That could very well indicate the name of a future product, or it could mean nothing. There is no way for us to be sure before an announcement is made.
  • Reply 46 of 171
    It doesn't even matter if Apple owns the name or not. Remember, they didn't own the name iPhone when they announced it.
  • Reply 47 of 171
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

As I said, Apple owns a lot of domains. That could very well indicate the name of a future product, or it could mean nothing. There is no way for us to be sure before an announcement is made.

From that linked article though, Apple also owns the trademark "iSlate" as well as "Magic Slate," and perhaps set up a dummy corporation in 2006 just to do so. If true, that shows more commitment to the name than just buying a domain.
  • Reply 48 of 171
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazimzadeh View Post

It doesn't even matter if Apple owns the name or not. Remember, they didn't own the name iPhone when they announced it.

I don?t recall that, but I do recall that they used an iTV placeholder for the yet unnamed AppleTV back in late 2006, about 6 months before it launched. It was known then that iTV would not work do the British television network using that name.

Perhaps the best name choice isn?t just what sounds good but what is also available across every country. I figure Apple hates having to rename all the AirPort products in Japan to AirMac due to I-O DATA?s ownership.
  • Reply 49 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Really don't like the name. I think it really is a very......Microsoft......Google.....bleh, sort of name. Kind of like a technical person trying fruitlessly to make themselves relevant to the public. I'm not sure how Steve feels about reusing a product name, but iBook definitely seems like the most probable choice. Hmph, I guess we'll see on January 26. (I hope)

I have to agree here, since I also think it's going to be iBook. Apple owns the trademark already, no hassle with a third party over it... and it will define a new gadget category, called "smart books".

I mentioned in a post yesterday, that I think the simple, one-trick-pony e-reader (e-book) category will essentially be dead next year, or be spoken about similar as simple cell phones are compared to smart phones (e-readers and netbooks vs. smart-books).

The new iBook will being the mother of all smart books, and the one to try and kill after Jan 26, 2010.

PS. iSlate just doesn't roll off the tongue right, and people with speech deficiencies, and/or after a few beers, will HATE the name! Could also be mistaken in a time of emergency, like when the rescue crew mistakes, "Please iSlate" as 'Please, isolate", as Soli stated to be a "good" reason for the rather hideous name.

PSS. I'm going to hedge my bet with "iPad" as my second guess... only to differentiate form Macbooks, notebooks, etc... and tie the device closer to the iPod way of doing things with iTunes and the AppStore. Regardless of some people thinking it sounds like a feminine hygiene product, it hasn't stopped anyone from yelling, "Go get my pad and a pencil, quick!". THAT could have a whole new meaning com Jan.... minus the pencil of course
  • Reply 50 of 171
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I'm sure we had a whole thread of suggestions for the slated (!) Apple Tablet.

Let me see if I can find it...
  • Reply 51 of 171
    There's a few good ideas, and some silly ones here...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=101291
  • Reply 52 of 171
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Let it be the "Newton". It would be a great statement by Apple.
  • Reply 53 of 171
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I have to agree here, since I also think it's going to be iBook. Apple owns the trademark already, no hassle with a third party over it... and it will define a new gadget category, called "smart books".

I mentioned in a post yesterday, that I think the simple, one-trick-pony e-reader (e-book) category will essentially be dead next year, or be spoken about similar as simple cell phones are compared to smart phones (e-readers and netbooks vs. smart-books).

The new iBook will being the mother of all smart books, and the one to try and kill after Jan 26, 2010.

iBook would also be great

It'd be more relevant than Newton as the new iBook is set to redefine the industry of publishing. That is books, magazines end ebooks.

Actually. The iBook brand would be perfect as it is likely going to be marketed between the iPod/iPhone touch and the Macbook.

iSlate is a silly name that needs to be slated
  • Reply 54 of 171
    There's absolutely no way it will be iBook. This could lead to legal problems and lots of confusion. Can you imagine a customer to a tech, "I need help with my iBook" and the tech assumes the customer means the new tablet, but the customer actually has an iBook G4? This is a disaster waiting to happen, and I think anyone who thinks "iBook" is a possibility for the new tablet is an idiot.

I also don't think it's going to be "iPad". Think of all the poor souls in Boston.

I think it's going to be the Apple Slate. It just sounds way better than iSlate. I don't think there will be legal problems with Slate.com because it's a totally different product, online magazine vs. hardware. Apple would reach an agreement with Slate.com if necessary.
  • Reply 55 of 171
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This is exactly why I don't like this name. It suggests something primitive.

Have you any idea of the derivation of the term 'tablet'?

Among other things, the word is used to refer to the use of clay tablets by the Mesopotamian's, so they are a 6,000 year old technology.

The use of sheets of slate is relatively cutting edge technology, by comparison, as it dates to the 18th century so is only about 250 years old.

Slate is far more technologically advanced as well as it is RAM. Clay tablets are only ROM, although they are unsurpassed for archival longevity.

I am tired of waiting for Apple's iSlate, so I made my own:

It has a killer UI, the display is easily legible in direct sunlight, and the device has been extensively field tested to ensure there are no nasty defects for the user to discover - unlike products made by Apple. The CPU it uses is the product of over 3.5 million years of improvement via natural selection and is currently the most powerful processor on the planet. It boots instantaneously, is low cost, has a 5 star energy rating and will still be functioning long after everything made by Apple, with the same name, is landfill.

Frankly, I think I am on to a winner. It can't fail.
  • Reply 56 of 171
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I also don't think it's going to be "iPad". Think of all the poor souls in Boston.

iPad - for that inconvenient time of the month.

• Reply 57 of 171
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Sweet.

I would guess that if it's Slate, it would be referred to as Apple Slate, or see below:

I think this is one of the best names suggested. I would have suggested "Apple Slate", but the TV device gives yours some amount of precedence.

I think it's unfortunate that it's harder to enforce trademarks on a name unless it's a bastardized word, that has led to lots of product and service names that are starting to get irritating, I also don't like camel case.

its either itab

itablet

or

islate

all of these sound fine
  • Reply 58 of 171
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    - iMfinallyhere

- iwork

- iPlay

- iamtherefore

- iamnothingwhatoutyou

- iamnotjustanothertablet

- iamwondurbar

- iamnotani

- idontknowwhattheyllcallit

- ijotter

- ireach

- itsnotgoingtostartwithi

iSkip (you Jane)
  • Reply 59 of 171
    Here are my prefered names...

iTab

iRock

iGem

iPal

iOmni (as in, does everything!)

iUni
  • Reply 60 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Let it be the "Newton". It would be a great statement by Apple.

Statement of what? Unfortunately, it means nothing at all to the iPod generation. Will more likely provoke a reaction of 'huh'?