Internet disconnect with screen saver

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I think its related to the screen saver or it may be everytime the computer goes to sleep and then I wake it up.

Safari won't connect to any website. All network settings say the computer is connected.

Safari won't work again until I restart the computer.

Its a brand new Mini with all the updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    what does network diagnostics tell you?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    It says ethernet is connected and active, plus all the lights on the cable modem are on as if nothing's wrong but I can't connect to any websites.

It actually happened without the screen saver coming on or the computer going to sleep. Out of nowwhere it just won't connect until I restart the computer.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

It says ethernet is connected and active, plus all the lights on the cable modem are on as if nothing's wrong but I can't connect to any websites.

It actually happened without the screen saver coming on or the computer going to sleep. Out of nowwhere it just won't connect until I restart the computer.

I'm not sure what happened there, but I think that, for you and for immediate practical purposes, it's more important to 'repair' that behavior – 'make it go away' – then to understand intimately what exactly happened to cause it.

So, Steve, have you got a backup of your Safari of a couple days ago, when it didn't yet do that freezing? If you have Time Machine or Time Capsule you can restore that backup of Safari (and nothing else). Then do a Repair Permissions (in Disk Utility; may take some time!), then restart, then check/do a Software Update, and then return to your usual habitus to see whether Safari still shows that behavior.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

I'm not sure what happened there, but I think that, for you and for immediate practical purposes, it's more important to 'repair' that behavior ? 'make it go away' ? then to understand intimately what exactly happened to cause it.

So, Steve, have you got a backup of your Safari of a couple days ago, when it didn't yet do that freezing? If you have Time Machine or Time Capsule you can restore that backup of Safari (and nothing else). Then do a Repair Permissions (in Disk Utility; may take some time!), then restart, then check/do a Software Update, and then return to your usual habitus to see whether Safari still shows that behavior.

I don't have time machine, but it actually did this the first day I bought it and set it up.

I ran YASU (repaired permissions) also. However, I haven't used it since then so maybe that helped? I certainly hope so!

I was thinking about having T/W replace the Cable Modem just to rule it out but if that were the issue why would network prefs say that the ethernet connection is fine?

Bizarre
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist

I'm not sure what happened there, but I think that, for you and for immediate practical purposes, it's more important to 'repair' that behavior – 'make it go away' – then to understand intimately what exactly happened to cause it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

I don't have time machine, but it actually did this the first day I bought it and set it up.

That's clever! So how did you do that without Time Machine...?

Quote:

I ran YASU (repaired permissions) also. However, I haven't used it since then so maybe that helped? I certainly hope so!

You should Repair Permissions once a month for timely maintenance in any case!

Quote:

I was thinking about having T/W replace the Cable Modem just to rule it out but if that were the issue why would network prefs say that the ethernet connection is fine?

Bizarre

What is "T/W"?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

That's clever! So how did you do that without Time Machine...?

You should Repair Permissions once a month for timely maintenance in any case!

What is "T/W"?

I meant that the internet cut out the same day I bought it.

You're right about the Permissions, I always did that with my ibook.

Sorry, T/W stands for Time Warner.

Yesterday I had no problems so maybe repairing permissions did the trick? I hope so!