in iPhone edited January 2014
What do we think it will include?

"Full Screen mode" ala the new rumor on MacRumors.com

Support for 5-megapixel camera

That's all I can think of for now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Just thought, maybe the new mapping service they bought up will show up as well?
  • Reply 2 of 29
    I hope iPhone 4.0 includes

Improved power management

Grand Central Dispatch

Resolution Independence (Tablet)

Ehanced Device Control

Background Process for certain apps (can be enabled/disabled at will)

UI improvements (give me 2x the dock below the apps)
  • Reply 3 of 29
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I would also like to see some kind app management. Folders would be very nice!
  • Reply 4 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I would also like to see some kind app management. Folders would be very nice!

Why don't they just employ the "scrubbing" feature in iPhoto and other apps (like iWork templates)

I imagine that you could set up a row of "scrubbable" icons which represent certain user chosen categories. Thus I could scrub across my "Productivity" apps and with icons being so differentiated it would be pretty easy land on the correct app.

My first page would still be individual app icons that I use daily but after that everything else could be categorized into like apps. The space reduction ramifications could be quite significant.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

What do we think it will include?

Here's some guesses.

Cocoa Touch

New controls - including a Tweetie style scroll and snap back to refresh.

Safari

Palm Pre style multi-paging.

Full screen web apps - indistinguishable from native apps.

OS

Lazy quitting. Apps stay in memory until it memory is needed. This would let you leave a game. Do stuff and go back to exactly the same suspend point.

Notification Widgets - and suspend-to-widget. Tiny helper apps which are allowed to run in background. Apps can quit and hand over control to a widget. Widgets live on lock screen.

Mail

Unified inbox

AppleTV

All the functionality - as an App.

C.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Mail/Calendar overhaul and enhancements (possibly, Messages as well)

New camera and new display support

Augmented reality support and maps integration

Some elegant solution to support limited multitasking (probability is far from 100%, though)

Some reasonable predictions in above posts aren't impossible, too
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Unified Inbox for all email accounts (like the calendar has)

Better home screen with widgets and customizable wallpaper, etc. A tad like Windows Mobile perhaps (dont flame me). More useful personalized data up front at the main home screen.

Better power management

Ability to snooze alarms & reminders

Better notification badges (more info, more control of appearance and use)
  • Reply 8 of 29
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

Better home screen with widgets and customizable wallpaper, etc. A tad like Windows Mobile perhaps (dont flame me). More useful personalized data up front at the main home screen.

Got the wife a Droid Eris and the home screen is much better than the iPhone.

The iPhone home screen and way of organizing apps is getting dated.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    I dont get it really, among the repies here. no-one wants full multitasking.

To me, that feature might be the one that tips me away from iphone, I want to be able to log on onto irc through flowchat, quit, start spotify and listen to music, and when I start up flowchat irc again I'm still connected and can see what ppl have been saying since I left.

That is the bare minimum of multitask, none of this limited stuff that just saves the app instance in games etc, a good smartphone needs multitasking, it should be MY choice if I drain my battery in 5 hours or so, not apples.

While they're at it, I'd like to see an improved homescrren that displays widgets, recent mail, texts, weather etc.

All of these features exist on the android, but I really dont wanna migrate over to any of them since they lack the stuff that apple actually does better.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Is there any possibility they will at some point allow themes? I have never jailbroken mine but I do like the themes you can get for jailbroken onces. They don't slow the phone down at all do they?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I heard there's no slowdown, but the battery takes a slight hit.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simulacra View Post

I dont get it really, among the repies here. no-one wants full multitasking.

I want *all* the benefits of multi-tasking. But I don't want any of the dis-benefits.

I want instantaneous task switching - and full resumption.

I want to leave a communications app - but have it remain active enough to inform me when some external event happens.

And for a certain class of application, I'd like something running in background so that it can stream audio or update visual information. So for instance a weather icon can show the current weather.

All that stuff is good. But what I don't want is my new game mysteriously running at half-speed and having to work out why.

What I don't want is a screen saying. If you want to open this - you must close down some applications because you are out of memory.

What I don't want is screen-fulls of apps that I have forgotten, sitting there, running in background, eating-up resources and memory and battery life, when I am not even using them.

Any system that relies on the user to manually manage their system and decide which tasks are running is the absolute opposite of the iPhone experience. I am pretty confident that the GS hardware is capable of delivering a flawless task-switching experience. If done well, it could work faster and better than the Android / Pre model, but with far fewer problems.

C.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Speaking for myself, I positively don't understand why I should be whining about multitasking anyway.

Upon having fetched some knowledge in usability and user experience, I analyze iPhone everyday usage patterns thoroughly and admittedly fail to find the place for more multitasking, than it already offers. Yep, on the eve of the era of really professional apps it was a bit irritating to see how an app quitted and launched Maps to show geo-data. There was no way back. But diligent developers and the SDK itself have learned a lot of good things since then; maps having been shown, there's graceful return to application. It is just a norm nowadays.

Besides, there is nothing, that really needs multitasking. So, I can easily permit some snobbery for myself w/out being pinched down with device's functionality. Coping with multiple tasks on the screen of 480x320 is the destiny of users of cheapaud-crapaud junk of phones. We iPhonees are different.

Publicly available Calendar API and the possibility to create just an alarm when you need just an alarm are far more important, than any damn multitaskings. And I do praise that coming as well.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    What I want from OS 4.0 is to be able to jailbreak on it just like I can now. I just re-discovered jailbreaking with my 3GS and i'm stoked at how far its come since the last time I jailbroke (on a 3G, over a year ago).

Tlert is an app no one should be without.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Safari overhaul (cover flow, in particular) and stability improvements
  • Reply 16 of 29
    what is not likely gonna happen, but is still living inside our hope --- radio feeds accepted by iPod application.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Here's some guesses.

Cocoa Touch

New controls - including a Tweetie style scroll and snap back to refresh.

Safari

Palm Pre style multi-paging.

Full screen web apps - indistinguishable from native apps.

OS

Lazy quitting. Apps stay in memory until it memory is needed. This would let you leave a game. Do stuff and go back to exactly the same suspend point.

Notification Widgets - and suspend-to-widget. Tiny helper apps which are allowed to run in background. Apps can quit and hand over control to a widget. Widgets live on lock screen.

Mail

Unified inbox

AppleTV

All the functionality - as an App.

C.

Great ideas, I especially like your ATV as an app.

How about improved Coverflow, so it's multi-dimensional? I'd like to be able to not only swipe left and right, but swipe to a folder, then swipe down as if I were opening the folder to thumb through the contents.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Safari overhaul (cover flow, in particular) and stability improvements

Safari needs page search
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Safari needs page search

I'd call this function unnecessarily complex to deliver with the device displaying pages of size 320x480. I do not feel Apple are ready to spoil their design by adding such a heavy element, yet they may eventually be doing that.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

i'd call this function unnecessarily complex to deliver with the device displaying pages of size 320x480. I do not feel apple are ready to spoil their design by adding such a heavy element, yet they may eventually be doing that.

i need it! \