Apple's iPhone is most popular phone in US - study

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With 4 percent of all mobile device subscribers in the U.S., a new study has found that Apple's iPhone was the single most popular handset model in the country in 2009.

The iPhone edged out Research in Motion's BlackBerry 8300 series, which came in second place with 3.7 percent, according to new data released this week by Nielsen. The rankings measured the top 10 mobile phones in use in the U.S. from January to October 2009.

In third was the Motorola RAZR V3 series, which garnered 2.3 percent of the U.S. cell phone share. Coming in fourth was the LG VX9100 enV2, and fifth was the LG Voyager.

Overall, BlackBerry devices took a larger overall share. The 9530 series, also known as the BlackBerry Storm, came in seventh with 1.4 percent, and the 8100 series, including the Pearl, came in tenth with 1.2 percent.

Last week, another study found that the iPhone exceeded Windows Mobile in overall use in October. The iPhone had nearly 9 million U.S. users that month, while Microsoft's mobile operating system had just over 7 million. In July, the two companies were about even.

Together, the iPhone and iPod touch dominate the Web, with most mobile users browsing from devices that run the iPhone OS. In 2009, 38 percent of mobile traffic came from the platform on the AdMob advertising network.

The report also found that 21 percent of households now use mobile phones only, without a landline, and 15 percent of homes have at least one smartphone. In addition, most users pick pre-paid phones because they find the plans to be more straightforward.

The survey also revealed the top ten Web sites accessed over mobile phones in the last year, with Google's search coming in first, followed by Yahoo Mail and Gmail. The Weather Channel was fourth, and Facebook came in fifth.

Unsurprisingly, the top video destination for mobile devices in 2009 was YouTube, followed by Fox Interactive Media, the Weather Channel, Comedy Central and CBS.

The top online "brand" accessed via mobile phones for the year was Yahoo, followed by Google and Microsoft's collection of MSN, Windows Live and Bing coming in third. AOL's network took fourth, and the Weather Channel came in fifth. In tenth place was Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    As much as the iPhone blows it away, you have to admit that the RAZR is nothing short of miraculous to STILL be such a widely popular phone.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

As much as the iPhone blows it away, you have to admit that the RAZR is nothing short of miraculous to STILL be such a widely popular phone.

WOW, i really can't believe it, i haven't seen anyone with those in quite a while. maybe that's why motorola hasn't come out with anything worth mentioning until the droid.

yeah, i guess the RAZR's software isn't great, but it does have a big screen, looks pretty cool, is thin, and talks and texts just fine. i guess with a lot of new phones requiring a data plan people just hang on to their RAZRs.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Wow, that's some opportunity. Verizon has very fragmented exclusive deals in terms of share. Apple could easily pick up another 100 basis points on share with a Verizon offering, and Verizon would have a chance at taking away a big chunk of high-dollar users at the same time.

Also makes the Verizon/Bing blackberry deal look interesting as to long-term implications.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Just to note, the 3GS was not included because it was released in June.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Or, the RAZR buyer is nothing short of..... [fill in the blank]...... \
  • Reply 6 of 17
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    That's pretty incredible. Imagine what Moto's numbers would look like if it didn't have the RAZR...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Just to note, the 3GS was not included because it was released in June.

I missed the dates the first time I read this earlier today.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But the article reads "The rankings measured the top 10 mobile phones in use in the U.S. from January to October 2009." Why would a June release of the 3GS not be included?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

But the article reads "The rankings measured the top 10 mobile phones in use in the U.S. from January to October 2009." Why would a June release of the 3GS not be included?

The 3GS sales weren?t high enough to be included in the top 10.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Because it's from January to October 2009, not June to October 2009.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I'm saw sorry...

But the revenue is brought home by Japan, France and UK.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ah, I thought the implication being made was if it was counted it would have ranked. My mistake. Thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Man where can I get my hands on the BB 8129, not even RIM makes that phone but they do make a cdma 8130. the phones still ugly as sin but thank goodness its getting a makeover and will have wireless n included.

As an aside I really think prepaid is going to be blowing up really big over the next year or two. Boost Mobile 50 buck unlimited plan is a good deal (slow data services...abysmally slow cause of iden) but Tmo has a leg up in the prepaid department and now that you can buy BB prepaid as well I think RIM is going to grab a new audience for those who want a smartphone with data but don't use many minutes at all or text much.

50-60 or less a month for internet, a few calls and unlimited text (assuming your like most youngsters, but you can change texts out for more minutes) still is much cheaper than the base 80 dollars you'll spend for 450 minutes and data no texts.

Apple could definitely make a lot off that and any carrier that sold it. Charge full msrp for the phone (or get one used, pay for sim and activation) and do a tiered data structure so you pay for what you need (something not available by RIM so far and I hope this changes) would bring in a new wave of customers who aren't looking to spend 100s a month on phone service just for themselves
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Wow, that's some opportunity. Verizon has very fragmented exclusive deals in terms of share. Apple could easily pick up another 100 basis points on share with a Verizon offering, and Verizon would have a chance at taking away a big chunk of high-dollar users at the same time.

Also makes the Verizon/Bing blackberry deal look interesting as to long-term implications.

I would love to see Apple give the iPhone to T-Mobile, it's easy because they also use a sim card. Personally I detest Verizon, they're too big, arrogant and poor customer service.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Or, the RAZR buyer is nothing short of..... [fill in the blank]...... \

The blank is GREAT. I have 2 V3 Razr's, old Miami Ink Dragon and Miami Ink Cherry Blossom, the easiest phone to operate and customize. I now have a new iPhone 3GS and love it too.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    If Apple were to go with multiple carriers without too much retooling, T-Mobile would be ideal since they use GSM. Also Apple does deal with that carrier overseas so they have prior experience with them.

Mostly, it would be funny if the iPhone went multiplatform but ignored Verizon after their "we're expecting the iPhone" network upgrade.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous guy View Post

If Apple were to go with multiple carriers without too much retooling, T-Mobile would be ideal since they use GSM. Also Apple does deal with that carrier overseas so they have prior experience with them.

Mostly, it would be funny if the iPhone went multiplatform but ignored Verizon after their "we're expecting the iPhone" network upgrade.

Not likely to go multi-platform, Apple does not give up it's lock on the OS, and giving it to all who use the GSM technology would be awesome.