UK iPhone in USA

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hello, I live in Scotland. I will be going on holiday later this month to the USA. I have an unlocked iPhone I would like to use while there and would rather buy a prepay American sim card than use my o2 pay monthly one to save money.*

I'll be there for 2 weeks so is it worth the bother? If so is anyone able to recommend a provider or even better a particular sim I could get?**

Bearing in mind I know hardly anything about how providers work in the US - Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

Hello, I live in Scotland. I will be going on holiday later this month to the USA. I have an unlocked iPhone I would like to use while there and would rather buy a prepay American sim card than use my o2 pay monthly one to save money.*

I'll be there for 2 weeks so is it worth the bother? If so is anyone able to recommend a provider or even better a particular sim I could get?**

Bearing in mind I know hardly anything about how providers work in the US - Any help is much appreciated.

Depends what you want to do - if you plan to make lots of local calls, get a local SIM. Otherwise if it's US/UK usage, don't bother, but suggest you turn off data roaming and rely on WiFi where possible.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbanleopard View Post

Depends what you want to do - if you plan to make lots of local calls, get a local SIM. Otherwise if it's US/UK usage, don't bother, but suggest you turn off data roaming and rely on WiFi where possible.

Yeah should have said, will be making a mix of both. Would probably not consider buying local sim if not. Thanks for advice.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    USA has only two GSM networks... ATT and T-Mobile. Both offer prepaid service, making calls should work just fine... but they might restrict your access to data useage.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

YES, it will work well. I have a Legally Unlocked iPhone [purchase in Hong Kong] that is registered in the US and I use T-Mobile Prepaid. I refuse to do business with ATT....