AT&T halts online iPhone sales to New York City residents

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    I guess the logic of reducing online sales would be to reduce demand for cell use and reduced MB data transfers on an already strained AT&T New York network, thereby reducing dropped calls, slow downloads, & increasing connectivity speeds, thereby improving the perception of the overall situation, if ever so slightly...

Kind of like the givernment touting the number of jobs created or "saved", when such a factor cannot be calculated!

Hey, did the Federal Government take over AT&T operations and somebody hasn't informed us yet?!
  • Reply 22 of 73
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wfrank View Post

Do you think apple would like to rethink their choice of carrier? AT&T has got to be the worst. So apple what do you do for a network for the tablet? AT&T. You have got to be kidding me !!!!

No network was prepared for the iPhone data tsunami. None. Verizon may have handled the load a bit better (perhaps) but they would have buckled too.

Thompson
  • Reply 23 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I seriously doubt they would make the tablet exclusive to Verizon. That would be a big F/U to all the iPhone subscribers, essentially forcing them to have dual carriers if they want to have the tablet.

Not necessarily. Even if you have and AT&T iPhone getting a tablet with a data plan wouldn?t necessarily mean that you get any discount on price. Usually any data-only service price isn?t affected by your other accounts. I know I paid $60 for a 3G USB card for my Mac.

Quote:

Truth is, I'm not even convinced that the tablet will have 3G capability, probably just Wi-Fi. At 10", it may be "portable", but nowhere near as portable as the iPhone.

3G access in a tablet may be part of the device?s sale price to get iTunes Store, publishers? subscriptions and updates on the wirelessly and automatically. This is what I hope they do since WiFi would severely limit my use of a tablet. If they offer it with that kind of connectivity without internet access except for the built in WiFi, but then have the option of getting a 3G contract at our convenience then I?ll be happy. I won?t care too much who offers it.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

No network was prepared for the iPhone data tsunami. None. Verizon may have handled the load a bit better (perhaps) but they would have buckled too.

Verizon may have even had more troubles than AT&T in some areas since a CDMA towers are more spread out than AT&T towers thus more iPhones per tower may have caused even more problems making the big city issues with AT&T occur over larger areas and faster.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Verizon may have even had more troubles than AT&T in some areas since a CDMA towers are more spread out than AT&T towers thus more iPhones per tower may have caused even more problems making the big city issues with AT&T occur over larger areas and faster.

it's really hard to predict who would've handled it better. no one expected this much data throughput from some phones. att is just under the microscope from a lot of its customers and businesses.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Everybody is talking as if they 'KNOW' what the true situation is. I don't, but I can tell you this, its a clue that they are still selling to NYC residents at the brick & mortar stores. That indicates to me that the information about the online fraudulent sales could have some merit. Someone purchasing an iPhone & opening an account with your credit card information, putting you on the hook for a 2 year commitment for a phone you didn't receive & an account that you don't even know about, is a very real problem. The bad guys probably sell off the phone to someone who will jailbreak it, & its a win-win-win for all of the conniving, thieving bastard parasites who don't work for a living, but instead cause you years of grief trying to straighten out your credit report, not have to pay 23% interest on a credit card, & battle with everyone every time to try to advance your credit status. They are kdreeminals who could care the least about you or your life.

A brick & mortar store has the capability of photocopying the ID that is presented & videotaping the transaction. This way, if they get a charge-back that the phone was fraudulently obtained, they can turn that info over to the police. Of course, the kdcreeminals don't want that, so they would choose the internet so, like the cockroaches they are, they can run along the baseboards & hide from the light of day.

Again, I don't know if this is truly the case, but a mere suspicion that it is the lack of ATT service has suddenly created a huge tsunami feeding frenzy of 'opinion,' that may in fact be wrong, but its amazing how absolutely 'sure' everybody is that the bandwidth service take is indeed fact!

Fine theory, except for the fact that the iPhone isn't the only phone AT&T carries.

Fraudulent behavior also has occurred long before and steps taken to combat it, also the fact is that this restriction is only in a select area of the country. Why not Philadelphia, Washington DC or Detroit or all the other crime prone cities too?

AT&T is still allowing iPhones on it's NY network, because the phone is available elsewhere, so my assumption is that AT&T said they didn't want too or couldn't handle the NY/NJ customer holiday volume or Apple wanted people in THEIR stores for the holidays.

AT&T is a very incredibly cheap ass company, I know from experience and from others.

If AT&T network was overloaded, they would do what they are doing now, drop calls and slow service. They certainly wouldn't stop gaining new contracts, they want all the money they can get.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

You can't handle the iPhone. You'll wreck it.

Nice troll but you forgot one thing. You can still get an iPhone in NYC from an at&t or Apple store. This is about online sales only. So how does that fit in with your theory about at&t's network not being able to "handle" the iPhone? Oh, and first tier service reps rarely, if ever, get any official word about what's going on anyway. So maybe this Daphne pulled this statement out of her ass? I realize that at&t hatred is an all consuming hobby right now with trolls but you really need to think things out before posting. It gives the art of trolling a bad name.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    This is not about AT&T's inability to handle more iPhones. It's an attempt to circumvent fraud. These crooks buy iPhones using fake SSNs and IDs and resell them over seas. AT&T loses income....so does Apple as they would not receive their (high) subsidy from AT&T if AT&T does not activate the iPhone. So, this is Apple's and AT&T's attempt to reduce losses.

Clearly, you can walk into any local AT&T/Apple store in NY and buy an iPhone. So, this has nothing to do with the network.

This makes great headlines (and more site visits) as it immediately creates emotional responses from us readers.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

a device for the Verizon network? I can't believe they would give it to ATT.

I don't think that Apple will stick a CDMA chip in their new iTablet.....not when they want to create another global product.

Amazon (Kindle) doing just fine with Sprint and AT&Ts 3G network.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I don't think that Apple will stick a CDMA chip in their new iTablet.....not when they want to create another global product.

Amazon (Kindle) doing just fine with Sprint and AT&Ts 3G network.

sprint is CDMA....

so its ok for amazon to make 2 models but not apple?
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

sprint is CDMA....

so its ok for amazon to make 2 models but not apple?

The US version of the Kindle and Kindle 2 is squarely using Sprint?s EVDO and 1xRTT but that wouldn?t work for the rest of the world so the international version of the Kindle 2 has GSM/3GSM, which also is sold in the US and also works with AT&T. Since Amazon is the only seller and they are completely a warehouse store it?s not quite the same as other retailers having to stock multiple items, but most importantly there is no contract so choosing the HW based on the carrier is not quite the same as a mobile or a data card.

It?s too bad they didn?t offer WiFi as an option.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The US version of the Kindle and Kindle 2 is squarely using Sprint’s EVDO and 1xRTT but that wouldn’t work for the rest of the world so the international version of the Kindle 2 has GSM/3GSM, which also is sold in the US and also works with AT&T. Since Amazon is the only seller and they are completely a warehouse store it’s not quite the same as other retailers having to stock multiple items, but most importantly there is no contract so choosing the HW based on the carrier is not quite the same as a mobile or a data card.

It’s too bad they didn’t offer WiFi as an option.

its pretty easy to make apple the only seller. that argument is irrelevant.

no one knows if the tablet will have the card integrated or not.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I'm hoping it will be a card slot so we can upgrade to LTE.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Real estate in NYC is very expensive, so putting up a lot more cell towers may not be easy.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:

This is not about AT&T's inability to handle more iPhones. It's an attempt to circumvent fraud. These crooks buy iPhones using fake SSNs and IDs and resell them over seas. AT&T loses income....so does Apple as they would not receive their (high) subsidy from AT&T if AT&T does not activate the iPhone. So, this is Apple's and AT&T's attempt to reduce losses.

Clearly, you can walk into any local AT&T/Apple store in NY and buy an iPhone. So, this has nothing to do with the network.

This makes great headlines (and more site visits) as it immediately creates emotional responses from us readers.

This.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post

Real estate in NYC is very expensive, so putting up a lot more cell towers may not be easy.

In high-density metropolitan areas, cellular companies typically don't erect actual towers. They apply for permits to install their equipment on existing structures (buildings, etc.). That's why you can go to Tokyo or Hong Kong and not see a bunch of cellular towers, yet you'll still have superb cellular service.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FSOAPM View Post

If Verizon had the iPhone...the wifi would be locked down, you'd have to pay a monthly fee just to access the app store, you'd have to pay a monthly fee just to use the google maps app, and the data plan would cost more per month. And logically, if Verizon had the popularity of the iphone on their network, they'd be experiencing the same or worse strains on their network that AT&T is. They obviously can advertise better coverage/etc because their network doesn't have the strain of iphone subscribers on it. It would be nice if Apple made a 'world' iphone that carries both chips (GSM & CDMA) because it would spread out the users across both networks, thereby alleviating strain on just one network. But again....then you'll run into users being pissed that Verizon wants to have their hands in every aspect of the phones capabilities.

1) Do the Droid and Droid Eris have their Wi-Fi locked down?

2) Do the Droid and Droid Eris require a fee to access the Google App Store?
  • Reply 38 of 73
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

a device for the Verizon network? I can't believe they would give it to ATT.

Might the first issue of the iSlate or slate not come with any internet "Stuff"? It would seem like the wrong thing to do, but maybe overloading the system even more, isn't the right thing to do either?

Now if they come out with it, and it's available from Verizon, and they handle it well, they'll get the iPhone by early summer?

Nobody causes more speculations, rumors, guessing, wondering about, then apple ? NOBODY!

If nothing else, they are great for developing ones imagination.

Stop wondering about the "Slate" and start thinking about what they will come out with next year???

So does it look like this:

Apple's new Slate does everything. It replaces the iPhone, iPods, Laptop, Computer, Camera, Typewriter (I think it already has done this). This new toy, slices, dices, mixes and matches everything just the way you like it, and all at a price that won't break the bank.

Think about this, what can they make a slate do, that your phone, or laptop doesn't already do for you?

Skip
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I agree. Certainly, there is someone that lives there that could check it out before everybody gets their arse in an uproar.

Oops. Or is it my error assuming that the folks who complain the most about AT&T/NY/iPhone use AT&T, domacile in New York city and own an iPhone?

Exactly. New Yorkers incessantly kvetch about ATT+iPhone, and yet, don't seem to be able to say 'no' to it, i.e., can't get enough of it, to the point that ATT has to take it away from them!

Ah, the irony.........
  • Reply 40 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Exactly. New Yorkers incessantly kvetch about ATT+iPhone, and yet, don't seem to be able to say 'no' to it, i.e., can't get enough of it, to the point that ATT has to take it away from them!

Ah, the irony.........

Just like no one in NYC drives because there is too much traffic.