More evidence surfaces of 8GB iPhone 3GS replacing $99 iPhone 3G

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new, speedier 8GB iPhone 3GS is once again rumored to replace the existing $99 iPhone 3G, this time evidenced by an alleged label referencing a new model.

A German customer who purchased a refurbished 8GB iPhone 3G found a label on the back that said "iPhone 3GS v2.2, 8GB." The model number, A1241, and part number, MB490DN/A, are identical to the existing iPhone 3G, but other materials on the packaging reference an 8GB iPhone 3GS. The forum post from a Hamburg resident was discovered by Electronista.

Currently, the lowest-capacity iPhone 3GS is a 16GB model for $199 in the U.S. with a two-year AT&T contract. It sports a fast PowerVR SGX GPU core that supports Open GL ES 2.0, which the existing $99 iPhone 3G cannot do.

In August, reports of a 8GB iPhone 3G were detailed in internal information from carrier Rogers Wireless in Canada. However, that was later discredited as a formatting error on the company's computer systems.

A mid-cycle upgrade for the iPhone would not be a new approach. In early 2008, Apple introduced a 16GB iPhone for $499. Months later, the iPhone 3G was released.

Recent reports have said Apple has scheduled a special media event for Jan. 26, 2010. New products are expected to be announced at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif.

During the company's earnings report in October, Chief Operations Officer Tim Cook noted that the $99 iPhone 3G did not impact sales of the high-end iPhone 3GS. In fact, he said, that demand for the iPhone 3GS exceeded the company's expectations. The average selling price of iPhones last quarter was just over $600, demonstrating gravitation towards the iPhone 3GS.

Components for the new iPhone 3GS were initially restrained in supply due to demand for the device. Executives with Apple have said that those issues were addressed this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    I am not one to usually call out fake, but this technically could happen, but these labels look fake.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Way to fend off competitiors, like Android phones. Reduce iPhone 3GS 8GB to $99.00! Sounds tempting to me. Might get me to switch from my Verizon plan
  • Reply 3 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I’d be more surprised if Apple didn’t drop the 3G from production to offer a $99 3GS to boost sales now that the holidays are over and we’re at the bottom end of the yearly iPhone renewal. We might even see a capacity increase to 64GB if the market warrants it.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I’d be more surprised if Apple didn’t drop the 3G from production to offer a $99 3GS to boost sales now that the holidays are over and we’re at the bottom end of the yearly iPhone renewal. We might even see a capacity increase to 64GB if the market warrants it.

i would bet on this actually, assuming apple keeps up with their yearly updates to the iphone.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    The only update I want to see is the 10" iPhone.

Think AT&T is overloaded now!
  • Reply 6 of 48
    It would be more accurate to say, "Possible evidence surfaces of 8GB iPhone 3GS replacing $99 iPhone 3G".
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:

I would agree but that seems like to much crammed into one event. Though in June

What Apple may do is the following:

Introduce a 64GB iPhone with a new Arm Cortex, possible keep the same Power VR SGX GPU thats currently running at 600Mhz and let it run at it's potential 833mhz

Upgrade the Ram to 512mb eDram

A higher aspect ration display instead of the 2:3 ratio currently used. Also bringing 200ppi Instead of the current 163ppi.

This price would be no more then $399

and allow the 16GB to fall to $99 and the 32Gb Version to fall to $199.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I would agree but that seems like to much crammed into one event. Though in June

What Apple may do is the following:

Introduce a 64GB iPhone with a new Arm Cortex, possible keep the same Power VR SGX GPU thats currently running at 600Mhz and let it run at it's potential 833mhz

Upgrade the Ram to 512mb eDram

A higher aspect ration display instead of the 2:3 ratio currently used. Also bringing 200ppi Instead of the current 163ppi.

This price would be no more then $399

and allow the 16GB to fall to $99 and the 32Gb Version to fall to $199.

1) I wouldn?t expect any HW changes to the iPhone expect for a replacement of the 3G for the 3GS at the $99 pricepoint and to a lesser extent a capacity increase. It seems pretty structured to offer a major HW upgrade with OS upgrade once a year in the summer.

2) If you want to discuss what will be in the next iPhone there will be plenty of threads in 2010 for that speculation.

3) Once thing to look for is HW updates before the Jan 26th event. If Apple updates the MBPs and Mac Pro before that event with simply a website and email notice then I think we can expect two major announcements at the event on the 26th. I?d go with a new AppleTV and the tablet.

4) It?s possible that Apple won?t even have new MBPs ready in January using Core-i3 and i5 so even if they aren?t updated before hand that doesn?t mean they will announced at the January event. With the speed of the blogging and the level of which Apple is in the public eye they really don?t need an event anymore to showcase updated products unless they break certain technological molds.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Sounds like last year could repeat itself.

MobileMe beat me to it.

16GB iPhone 3GS for $99(plus 2 year contract)? Sounds like a deal!
  • Reply 10 of 48
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

1) I wouldn?t expect any HW changes to the iPhone expect for a replacement of the 3G for the 3GS at the $99 pricepoint and to a lesser extent a capacity increase. It seems pretty structured to offer a major HW upgrade with OS upgrade once a year in the summer.

2) If you want to discuss what will be in the next iPhone there will be plenty of threads in 2010 for that speculation.

3) Once thing to look for is HW updates before the Jan 26th event. If Apple updates the MBPs and Mac Pro before that event with simply a website and email notice then I think we can expect two major announcements at the event on the 26th. I?d go with a new AppleTV and the tablet.

4) It?s possible that Apple won?t even have new MBPs ready in January using Core-i3 and i5 so even if they aren?t updated before hand that doesn?t mean they will announced at the January event. With the speed of the blogging and the level of which Apple is in the public eye they really don?t need an event anymore to showcase updated products unless they break certain technological molds.

i just hope there are lots of announcements, so Steve can say "oh, and one more thing"
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:

I wasn't expecting a major HW change either, I've noticed from history Apple does such HW changes during the release of a new iPhone OS (which in march it's usually announced) then WWDC will be an unveiling of what's truly to come.

Quote:

Fair enough

Quote:

I could see those two and even a subtle enhancement to the iPod Touch line-up having a camera. Apple TV usually has major announcements in Jan (History has proven such)

Quote:

Eh MBP's maybe the High end 15" or the 17" Model and maybe a new Mac Pro, even though those are generally updated the 1st week in Jan or 1st week in March. I think an enhancement to the 30" display is needed, if they don't want to change the design, at least add an iSight camera, along with speakers. The pixel density is still better then the 27" iMac.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

I am not one to usually call out fake, but this technically could happen, but these labels look fake.

Agree, there is too much space between the , prior to the 8 GB marker. And, it is always so odd how this just keeps happening. Photoshop is so cool.

Not that I don't think they will do this, but this might be jumping the gun a bit.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

Sounds like last year could repeat itself.

MobileMe beat me to it.

16GB iPhone 3GS for $99(plus 2 year contract)? Sounds like a deal!

agreed watchfulone ... I think Apple will just keep a high end speedier version of its iPhones/iPods. Much like they're doing now.

1 High end model with a higher price

Keep last years model running older technology thus lowering the price for consumers
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I think an enhancement to the 30" display is needed, if they don't want to change the design, at least add an iSight camera, along with speakers. The pixel density is still better then the 27" iMac.

Oh yeah! The ACDs are so out of date. They can apparently do a 27? LCD with an LED backlight, though the issues with that iMac do wonder if there will be a delay with 30? and bigger LED backlight displays.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:

Oh yeah! The ACDs are so out of date. They can apparently do a 27” LCD with an LED backlight, though the issues with that iMac do wonder if there will be a delay with 30” and bigger LED backlight displays.

Yea maybe Apple wants to do a Mac Pro 24" Model ACD, 30", and 37"!!!. The delay could be the packaging issues but who knows.

Also check out this site, if Apple implements a camera in the touch this would be a cool attachment. They're currently using it for the iPhone 3gs

http://www.wantowle.com/Welcome.html

Check out the 2nd Vid to see the attachment.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    So does this phone actually have the 3GS features such as a compass, numerical battery status display, and video recording? I did not see this addressed in the article.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    AT&T was offering 16GB and 32GB 3GS iPhones refurbed for $49 and $149 on Deal-Mac.

The 3G should be dropped and the base iPhone should be $99 for 16GB. In 6 months, the next model will be out anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I not going to guess as to truth here but lets face it Apple needs to have more than one smart phone in the line up. Basically they have one design with the models distinguished by the amount of flash in them. They have been very successful with that but there is plenty of market opportunity to do even more sales wise with the right products.

Those products would include smaller folding devices and a slightly larger model. Apple needs at least one new model with a higher performance screen, which hopefully will be slightly bigger. By bigger i'm not talking much more than a device being a 1/4" wider. The primary reason for this is to have better usability in horizontal mode when keyboards are on screen.

To that end the 2GS could easily become an entry level machine as new technology enters the market place. As nice as the iPhone is it is still missing key features that will have to be in place to compete with the new hardware running Android. An 8GB iPhone 3GS could easily take up position as the less than $99 entry level machine.

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:

Oh yeah! The ACDs are so out of date. They can apparently do a 27? LCD with an LED backlight, though the issues with that iMac do wonder if there will be a delay with 30? and bigger LED backlight displays.

The 30" Cinema Display still makes other brands of monitors look antiquated, but I agree that next to newer Apple stuff, they themselves look vintage (old but still cool!)

The deal breaker for me (besides the price) would be the lack of Mag Safe and Mini DisplayPort connectors. I would love to see a 27" LED Display introduced some day even though I doubt I'll ever be able to purchase one.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

i just hope there are lots of announcements, so Steve can say "oh, and one more thing"

"To alleviate the demand our iPhone has put on the AT&T system, we are expanding the iPhone availability to T-Mobile. Starting today!"