More evidence surfaces of 8GB iPhone 3GS replacing $99 iPhone 3G

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"To alleviate the demand our iPhone has put on the AT&T system, we are expanding the iPhone availability to T-Mobile. Starting today!"

Actually CNBC reported that, AT&T for some reason lied about that whole NYC iPhone distribution story, but stuck with it because they were surprised at how many people believed them.

The company has internal issue, if this story is true. I'm not to hot on T-Mobile either, since their current network isn't even better then sprints here in the USA. Will see how Apple and the Networks play this though.

I can't wait for the day we can efficiently be on VoIP services here in the USA.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

The 30" Cinema Display still makes other brands of monitors look antiquated, but I agree that next to newer Apple stuff, they themselves look vintage (old but still cool!)

The deal breaker for me (besides the price) would be the lack of Mag Safe and Mini DisplayPort connectors. I would love to see a 27" LED Display introduced some day even though I doubt I'll ever be able to purchase one.

You CAN buy a 27" display from Apple. The price is $1699. I have 2 on my desk right now!
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Covered up the numbers?

One can still read the bar codes...
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Whether or not this is true, of course there will be a transition of iPhone hardware this year, same as every year.

Basic transition I imagine: current iPhone 3GS takes the bottom end, new iPhone with *cross fingers* awesome PA Semi goodness takes the high end.

Now one has to ask themselves two things:

1) How long does Apple want to keep manufacturing old iPhone 3G parts?

2) How annoyed will people be when then buy a lowly 3G and Apple announces the 3GS moves to the 3G price point.

I'd say it would be better to sell out their 3G hardware, introduce an 8GB 3GS for the bottom end and ride out the first half of 2010 with only 3GS models until they unless the fury of iPhone 2010.

As a developer I'm also hoping they've been working on the SDK a bit too. Still a lot of room for improvements and standard features.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    If they're going to make the low end iPhone a 3Gs then they should also make the low end iPod Touch 16Gb with the faster innards. It seems like a mighty leap from 8Gb to 32Gb on the Touch side.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    If they sell revive the 3G 4GB and sell it for $59 that will KILL the entire industry.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The only update I want to see is the 10" iPhone.

Think AT&T is overloaded now!

If you're hoping for a Verizon iPhone, don't keep your hopes up.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    I believe Apple will sell iPhone 3G S at $99 right after iPhone 2010 is unveiled.

Other than that, i don't think it'll be sooner than the 2010 summer.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

2) How annoyed will people be when then buy a lowly 3G and Apple announces the 3GS moves to the 3G price point.

It's basically an equal-equal situation.

If it were to be this way,..

iPhone 3G would be two years old and out of life if iPhone 2010 is announced in the summer. By the time iPhone 2010 is announced, iPhone 3G S would be a year old, and most people will forget the fact that iPhone 3G S is the "latest" Mobile device Apple has to offer.

At that point 3G is moved out of the way, while 3G S is moved into $99.

It would of been better for the ones that bought an iPhone 3G this year(2009) to buy an iPhone 3G S instead.

If they bought something $99 in 2009 and would want to buy another $99 soon to be iPhone 3G S, that would equal up to $200 and you could of been stuck with todays latest mobile device by Apple and not worry about how old your current iPhone 3G and the features are in 2010. Let alone, go through another year of iPhone 3G and wait for iPhone 2011 to be unveiled.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    A bigger screen is in order. Every time I look at the touch, I feel like the screen needs to be pushed further towards the top and bottom edge of the device, with a corresponding increase side to side to make it 16:9. I think it will happen in early 2010, along with the tablet.

PS: Here is a good time to put a camera on the Touch, hint hint apple.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lender30 View Post

If they sell revive the 3G 4GB and sell it for $59 that will KILL the entire industry.

Agreed, or sell it $99 fully unlocked straight from Apple Store. I would imagine that would kill Nexus one before it even launches.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Actually CNBC reported that, AT&T for some reason lied about that whole NYC iPhone distribution story, but stuck with it because they were surprised at how many people believed them.

The company has internal issue, if this story is true. I'm not to hot on T-Mobile either, since their current network isn't even better then sprints here in the USA. Will see how Apple and the Networks play this though.

I can't wait for the day we can efficiently be on VoIP services here in the USA.

No, if AT&T lied about it, than why would they still be selling it in it's retail stores in NYC, let alone in the Apple Store.

CNBC just like people to believe that they're the answer to everything.

Like they expect an iPhone on Verizon Wireless this upcoming summer.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

You CAN buy a 27" display from Apple. The price is $1699. I have 2 on my desk right now!

How do you only have 28 posts in three years? The price on Apple Dispays has always been outrageous. Thank god they don't cost as much per inch in the iphone
  • Reply 34 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

A bigger screen is in order. Every time I look at the touch, I feel like the screen needs to be pushed further towards the top and bottom edge of the device, with a corresponding increase side to side to make it 16:9. I think it will happen in early 2010, along with the tablet.

If they change the display ratio we?ll know about it because they?ll have to get the developers on board in March when they release iPhone SDK v4.0.

If they want to change the pixel density we?ll know about because they?ll have to get developers on board, too. Any app should scale fine if they followed the guidelines but I think images will have to be updated, at the very least, and we should get word about that. This recent request for full screen apps is likely not connected to the next iPhone.

Quote:

PS: Here is a good time to put a camera on the Touch, hint hint apple.

That will piss people off, especially with the sales looking very good for the Touch this holiday season. But it?ll piss people off if they don?t add a camera.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

I am not one to usually call out fake, but this technically could happen, but these labels look fake.

It really does. It looks like the "S" in 3G S was typed in purposely, just so it can start rumors.

Other than that, it can still be a possible truth of what may come into the future.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    So this is the same model as the Black 3G 8mb sold in Germany. Did anyone bother checking what the german word for black is: schwarz

http://www.t-mobile.de/iphone/tarife...2271-_,00.html

This is the 3G schwartz as opposed to the 3G weib (white..)

Doesn't mean apple will not release an 8mb version, but they would never reuse a model number so this rumor is BUNK.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    A 8GB iPhone 3GS will never happen, it's too late already for that.

The $99 price point is reserved to clear last year old stock, so the 16GB model will be drop to $99 and a new 32GB & 64GB model will be introduce. The last thing they will wanna do is introduce a new 8GB model when they know they're gonna have a huge stock pile of 16GB/32GB left overs when they introduce the newer models.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    How did the $728 educational discount for new MacBook not make the news yesterday??

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...?taxonomyId=66

All these rumors, and OT posts are getting in the way of real news!
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I’d be more surprised if Apple didn’t drop the 3G from production to offer a $99 3GS to boost sales now that the holidays are over and we’re at the bottom end of the yearly iPhone renewal. We might even see a capacity increase to 64GB if the market warrants it.

I don't think we'd see 64 until June/July. they might have been using the 8GB 3g as a way to burn off the old processors and perhaps now that is drawing to an end and they will start using the new ones with little fanfare. Especially if they aren't changing the processors in June and the big device will be the rumored tablet.

January will probably be a preview of the tablet as the key event with some itunes recaps, perhaps this alleged subscription gig, what's up with lala.com, maybe some iwork/ilife etc. and even perhaps a hint as to the state of the ATT deal come summer. This 8GB 3GS if it is real will likely be a footnote or casual mention, not a huge "wouldn't it be cool' moment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

How did the $728 educational discount for new MacBook not make the news yesterday??

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...?taxonomyId=66

Well it did make the news in some places. But the rest discovered that it is pricing for one single school so it was actually more a non-item.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

Ha ha! I'm aware the 27" iMac is usable as just a display and that it is available for purchase, however I CAN'T purchase one because I don't have an extra $1699 laying around. If I did, I would more likely purchase a new MacBook or MacBook Air for my wife (to replace her G4 PowerBook.) With the money left over from that, I could get an Airport Base Station or Time Capsule.

Besides that, the 27" iMac (impressive machine though it is!) still does not have a Mag Safe connector to power/charge my MacBook Pro so that still makes it a deal breaker.

You know what would really turn the mobile phone industry upside down? FREE 8GB iPhone 3G with 2 year contract. Available on AT&T and/or T-Mobile. I wonder how well T-Mobile's 3G network cold handle the iPhone?