More evidence surfaces of 8GB iPhone 3GS replacing $99 iPhone 3G

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    3G will go for free on a two year contract, this will empty stock leftover. 3 year old tech (iirc it has the same innards as the 2G sans except a few things like the radio chip and what not)

I couldn't see Apple introducing a 8GB model because of a few reasons unless it was at 49.99...I guess if you only had 50 bucks to spend this would be a steal but for 50 more you would have a 16GB, and then at 199 you'd have the 32GB.

Also a 8GB would only work in regions where there is only one exclusive carrier because competition amongst carriers have already brought the 3GS down in price, and a 8GB wouldn't really fit there. If all this talk about Apple bringing the iPhone coming to VZW this rumor will be dead in the water.

The 2G and 3G will get minimal features from OS4 I think.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    There is no way apple would release a 3GS model without atleast changing the serial number prefix to be 'MC' (3GS) rather than 'MB' (3G). They simply would not break that convention.

Yes, its a label cockup / confusion posibly hightened due to the language issue (Black/White) mentioned above.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

3G will go for free on a two year contract, this will empty stock leftover.

3G has been free with a 2 year contract in Japan for most of 2009, teehee.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

A bigger screen is in order. Every time I look at the touch, I feel like the screen needs to be pushed further towards the top and bottom edge of the device, with a corresponding increase side to side to make it 16:9. I think it will happen in early 2010, along with the tablet.

Apple has been clear on this from the beginning. They chose 320x480 on purpose and for the long-run. This will not change.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

3G has been free with a 2 year contract in Japan for most of 2009, teehee.

Japan would not be the place to put a 8GB 3GS, there would be zero point seeing as how they ALSO give the 16GB 3GS away for free on a 2 year contract (part of Softbanks iPhone for Everyone campaign). I hear Australia is the same way, but thats because competition have driven prices down.

Logically speaking, Apple updates their hardware this year like they will, even if they dont increase capacity this time around, that means the 16GB & 32GB 3GS are old news. AT&T for example would MOST LIKELY sell the 16GB for 99 and 32GB for 199 while the new models will be at 199 and 299 respectively.

That leaves no room for the 3G and 8GB 3GS unless they gave the 3G away for free, and priced the 8GB 3GS at 49. If Apple were looking to get one into the hands of every person that would be the way to go. Now if Apple jumped to Verizon with the new updated model like everyone and their grandma thinks they are, i think we'll see iPhone prices drop and very fast (AT&T has zero competition here for iPhone sales...that could change very soon) as carriers try to lure in users for the better deal.

But thats just what i think
  • Reply 46 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Apple has been clear on this from the beginning. They chose 320x480 on purpose and for the long-run. This will not change.

I agree that they thought out the longterm use of the aspect ratio, but I expect that the resolution will be increasing for the next iPhone. It?s pretty trivial to get developers to update their apps for a higher resolution display. I thought I had read back in 2007 that Apple wanted devs to use vector images, but I can?t find any proof of that.

One thing is certain, if they do change the aspect ratio we?ll know well in advance due to the SDK release which has historically been a good 3 months before a product launch.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Right now it's just a misprint on the package, nothing more.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    If this label is true, why it states APPLE 2009? I guess it should be APPLE 2010