Report: Apple Event set for January 26, 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Actually, I wish I was going to that Apple January event. At the very least you would think Apple would have mercy and simulcast the event live over the internet.

But I don't think they will.

Sorry buddy, it's probably still going to be us hitting the Refresh button on our browsers a few hundred times a minute following liveblogs and so on.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

At the very least you would think Apple would have mercy and simulcast the event live over the internet. But I don't think they will.

I don?t think they need to go that route. They already have dozens of live bloggers sites in attendance working concert dictating every word and occurrence while uploading photos.

If you don?t like reading those then you have sites like AI that piece it all together very quickly all the good bits in detailed articles that put most news sites to shame.

After a few hours the QuickTime stream goes live and then some hours after that the iTunes podcast is ready for download.
  • Reply 23 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think they need to go that route. They already have dozens of live bloggers sites in attendance working concert dictating every word and occurrence while uploading photos.

If you don?t like reading those then you have sites like AI that piece it all together very quickly all the good bits in detailed articles that put most news sites to shame.

After a few hours the QuickTime stream goes live and then some hours after that the iTunes podcast is ready for download.

I'm sorry but watching slow loading pictures while some foul mouthed, snot nosed kid of a blogger type his badly written blog posts just is NOT THE SAME as seeing and hearing Steve Jobs live on stage unveiling the next big thing.

Can you imagine having to see the original moon landings, instead of on television, through blog posts from the smartalekdujour from gizmodo? I don't think so!

Damnit I demand to see the Apple Tablet unveiled live!
  • Reply 24 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Sorry buddy, it's probably still going to be us hitting the Refresh button on our browsers a few hundred times a minute following liveblogs and so on.

Hells no! If I can't ditch work, hop on a plane to CA, and somehow sneak into the Yerba Center, then I'm going to watch the itunes recording in the evening after work.

Please someone tell me that macrumors will put up a non-spoiler link to the presentation after it is recorded.

I would rather see it live but if not then I guess a recording will have to do.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    Quote:

Could the rewrite of SL been to get a better foundation not only for Mac OS, but for other OS X flavours?

Nah, I think SL was to consolidate the Mac operating system around Intel/ x86/ 64-bit and set their targets for what they want Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server to be going into 2015.

The platform of the iPhone OS is so significant in so many ways, the tablet will be a bit of a "growing up" of the iPhone OS.

There's something fishy in this whole tablet thing. Everyone's calling it tablet and eBook reader and all that, netbook-killer, ultraportable something something... But Apple is probably going to blow the lid off this market by defining something else... Something, not quite expected, not quite enormously selling as the iPhone, but something that will keep Apple ticking along, chugging along, into the next few years.

It will be kind of closing the loop on the digital ecosystem that Apple offers, though by 2012 I expect Apple to get into making cars and renewable energy thingies.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    Quote:

I'm sorry but watching slow loading pictures while some foul mouthed, snot nosed kid of a blogger type his badly written blog posts just is NOT THE SAME as seeing and hearing Steve Jobs live on stage unveiling the next big thing.

Can you imagine having to see the original moon landings, instead of on television, through blog posts from the smartalekdujour from gizmodo? I don't think so!

1) AI finally had a nice auto-updating blog for the last Apple event. I do tend to prefer Engadget’s speed, but with speed you loose initial details so it’s good to have two.

2) Then wait it out until the video is posted. If you want to stay off the web that day, except for email, I’ll send you a PM to your AI account so you can watch it fresh like it’s live-ish.

3) Maybe they’ve finally worked it out to offer live streaming but something tells me that the buzz generated from the tech blogs and other sites are a much more powerful marketing device and cheaper, too.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    Quote:

Hells no! If I can't ditch work, hop on a plane to CA, and somehow sneak into the Yerba Center, then I'm going to watch the itunes recording in the evening after work.

Please someone tell me that macrumors will put up a non-spoiler link to the presentation after it is recorded.

I would rather see it live but if not then I guess a recording will have to do.

I work for an Apple reseller so I will have to update our reseller website, so no staying up for me (I'm in Asia)... It's next morning, go to work, then Boom! digest everything as efficiently as possible and start updating our reseller website.

When the dust settles I'll download the Keynote and then take my time to absorb the RDF suitably.

I *wish* I could just jump on a plane and gatecrash Yerba Buena Center... Just gotta find me some guaranteed-non-explosive underpants. (Was that in bad taste?)
  • Reply 28 of 76
    Quote:

When the dust settles I'll download the Keynote and then take my time to absorb the RDF suitably.

• Reply 29 of 76
    Quote:

1)3) Maybe they?ve finally worked it out to offer live streaming but something tells me that the buzz generated from the tech blogs are other sites are a much more powerful marketing device and cheaper, too.

Apple saves tons of cash by not streaming it live and yeah, it generates even more hype because everyone is trying to find out what the hell is going on and all the tech blogs are just dying to get the news out as fast as possible.
  • Reply 30 of 76
    Quote:

One small step for man, one giant leap for the blogosphere. Wait, wha?
  • Reply 31 of 76
    If a 10 inch screen can run the iPhone OS, this gives no excuse to Apple not to increase the screen size of the iPhone with bigger screen devices like the HD2 on the market now.
  • Reply 32 of 76
    Quote:

I work for an Apple reseller so I will have to update our reseller website, so no staying up for me (I'm in Asia)... It's next morning, go to work, then Boom! digest everything as efficiently as possible and start updating our reseller website.

Completely off subject, but i'm curious. How did you end up in Asia?

Or are you native
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

If a 10 inch screen can run the iPhone OS, this gives no excuse to Apple not to increase the screen size of the iPhone with bigger screen devices like the HD2 on the market now.

That makes no sense. The iPhone OS can already output to TVs which are much bigger than 10” The size of the TV has nothing to do with the limitations of the HW to push out a signal. What does matter is the USER INTERFACE. Do you want 2” icons for this exact iPhone OS running on a 10” screen or do you want the same size icons with about 100 on each Home Screen? Neither is ideal thus iPhone OS will not be on any 10” tablet. It will use many elements from the iPhone OS but it will be a different limb of OS X.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    Quote:

That makes no sense. The iPhone OS can already output to TVs which are much bigger than 10” The size of the TV has nothing to do with the limitations of the HW to push out a signal. What does matter is the USER INTERFACE. Do you want 2” icons for this exact iPhone OS running on a 10” screen or do you want the same size icons but about 120 on each Home Screen? Neither is ideal thus iPhone OS will not be on any 10” tablet. It will use many elements from the iPhone OS but it will be a different limb of OS X.

It does make the most sense. A 4th limb of OS X. Leaned more towards SL but with a seperate App store segment. I really want the ilife/iwork products available on it tho..and also the '10 versions for my coming i5.. Yay 2010
  • Reply 35 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

It does make the most sense. A 4th limb of OS X. Leaned more towards SL but with a seperate App store segment. I really want the ilife/iwork products available on it tho..and also the '10 versions for my coming i5.. Yay 2010

I would think that they will have at least a viewer for iWork apps that is much better than the iPhone OS version. I?ve looked over the iWorks apps today after a previous discussion and there are a lot of stuff that won?t be easily accomplished with fingers as your main input device. If people were complaining about how poor iWork is on Mac OS I can?t imagine how pejorative the comments would be about iWork on Tablet OS, so I have to assume it?ll be some hybrid viewer app that is included, unlike Mac OS, and better than iPhone OS, but still very limited in capacity.

PS: I would also expect an IR port which may go along with the new ?executive? styled Apple Remote. They?ve stopped shipping Apple Remotes in their Macs awhile back and the new MBs don?t even have IR ports. Outside the AppleTV, It looks like this new remote may have been designed for the tablet in a professional capacity.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    Quote:

I would think that they will have at least a viewer for iWork apps that is much better than the iPhone OS version. I?ve looked over the iWorks apps today after a previous discussion and there are a lot of stuff that won?t be easily accomplished with fingers as your main input device. If people were complaining about how poor iWork is on Mac OS I can?t imagine how pejorative the comments would be about iWork on Tablet OS, so I have to assume it?ll be some hybrid viewer app that is included, unlike Mac OS, and better than iPhone OS, but still very limited in capacity.

PS: I would also expect an IR port which may go along with the new ?executive? styled Apple Remote. They?ve stopped shipping Apple Remotes in their Macs awhile back and the new MBs don?t even have IR ports. Outside the AppleTV, It looks like this new remote may have been designed for the tablet in a professional capacity.

Whatever they do, its obvious they cant ignore it. Maybe a iWork "light" with minimal editing options. Mostly a viewer, as you said. And I didn't even begin to ponder the remote yet, but great point. I noticed they stopped shipping them also but I guess always assumed it was just to make more $ on us. I haven't seen the new remote in person, but it does look quite executive. I never found to much use for mine except for changing my itunes song from across the room, when the blue moons out. More of a novelty for me, but still fun. I am hoping the ATV will adapt more of a Wii style point and click, but the remote app also works well.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

Let's just say that this person I talked to is involved with testing new products.

Hmm... someone in product testing... check. Someone in product testing who has a friend in Nebraska... check. Well, nice knowing you, friend. (ducks as Apple's ninjas swarm)
  • Reply 38 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

I believe you mean YOU hope it's more than the iPhone OS 3.x.

I believe if it's true and there is no multi tasking then it will fail as quick as the Newton and AppleTV.

If there is more, then it will likely be a success. The lack of essential features in the iPhone OS will not be appealing to the market as anything more than a niche device in a tablet.

Price and OS will set the future of the already late to market tablet.

I don't need a history lesson on the iPhone or iPod, so do me favor and if you're going to reply to my posting, leave out how Apple is the only innovator of all that is tech. The iPhone doesn’t multi task 3rd party apps.

No multi-tasking isn't due to lack of innovation, it is the first thing that comes to mind when designing a mobile device like a phone. If you are even remotely involved in any system design, you would appreciate that from a holistic user experience and cost/resource standpoint, multi-tasking is too costly. It takes away more than it provides. If you consistently use these multi-tasking phones, you will see that performance and battery life suffer tremendously. At some point in the future, it will be plausible.

I think the innovative thing in this case was to disallow multi-tasking.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

For instance at the last CES, San Disk introduced the SDXC, a SD card with up to 2TB of storage and speeds faster than a 7,200 RPM hard drive.

The SDXC isn't an SD card, it is a SDXC card which happens to have the same form factor as a SD card.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Completely off subject, but i'm curious. How did you end up in Asia?

Or are you native

Born and grew up in Malaysia, went to high school in Singapore, college/uni in Australia, then worked in the US, Australia, now back in Malaysia the past few years.