Chrome edges out Safari, iPhone OS continues growth in December - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 160
    mobilememobileme Posts: 288member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple ends the year with solid iPhone OS growth

I think that's Apples main focus, grow the iPhone, and it will in return create the Halo effect. The iPhone OS is still in its infancy but compared to others it's way more advanced, from developer to User.

Quote:

A slowing - but stable Mac OS X market share

Snow Leopard did it's job, though many people feel Apple rushed it, it's set us up for what's to come. I think Apple's market share from where they were just 2 years ago is great.

The Desktop Operating System as Whole will be dramatically changed in few years time anyway 3 years + or - .

Quote:

Its Safari web browser being edged out by Google's Chrome.

It's edge out by Googles Chrome in beta form!? Pretty impressive, from the perspective that by time Google says it's finished with Chrome being in beta (Which is scheduled for Dec of this year) Apple will have improved Safari dramatically that the two competing browsers will always end up out edging one another.

I've always felt the ultimate goal of the "browser wars" was to have a sufficient and capable browser for Windows users since IE<insert failed numerical # here> hasn't been good for anybody on that platform. Apple was kind enough to share safari (not to mention it makes business sense). Google has obviously wedge itself as a viable solution next to Mozilla (which should be more worried).... Apple will never allow a competitor to best them on it's own OS.
  • Reply 22 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

I took it to mean the Street thinks Apple will beat Apple's guidance. It never occurred to me to even care what these articles say about Apple and Wall Street and their collective intelligence, as the articles are never written to be an investment source. This is site is exactly what you surmised, an aggregator of rumors. Nothing more, nothing less.

well that's nothing new, wall street said that apple would beat apple's projections when they made them. Apple always under-predicts their profits. That has less to do with apple having a "blowout year" in 2010 than apple always being extremely conservative with their projections for the next year.

To me, it was just kind of thrown on there at the end, was not necessary for the article's subject matter and I'm still not sure what the author meant by it. There are several different ways it could be interpreted that would make varying degrees of sense.
  • Reply 23 of 160
    tenguytenguy Posts: 21member
    I downloaded the Beta the day after it was available. Tried it for 2 days & trashed it. It might be fine for PC but Safari & FireFox are just fine for y Macs thank you.
  • Reply 24 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenguy View Post

I downloaded the Beta the day after it was available. Tried it for 2 days & trashed it. It might be fine for PC but Safari & FireFox are just fine for y Macs thank you.

Considering your previous posting you seem to have changed your tune... Is thte Kool-Aid that good?

Quote:

"Update problem?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just completed the OS 10.5.7 & Safari 4 update. My Safari seems to have slowed considerably. Anyone else having problems?"

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=98217
  • Reply 25 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think Chrome browser share will continue to grow, but it won't be at Safari's expense. It offers nothing to the average Safari user but promises to replace Firefox completely once the plug-in mania gets started.

I would bet money that as Chrome usage rises, Firefox and MSIE use goes down. MSIE will likely stay stronger too because the reasons behind it's use have less to do with user preference than they do business. Those that are looking for simple and minimal though will likely stay with Safari.

If it's faster, which it is, then it offers everything. Only Apple diehards will stay with Safari once they try Chrome. It's a new dawn and a new day. It surely didn't take Chrome long - how old is it compared to Safari?
  • Reply 26 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenguy View Post

So your basis of comparison is a 2 day old product from several months ago?

The weird thing about this whole debate is I still haven't seen anybody tell me what safari has that chrome doesn't.

To me the only possible positive for safari over chrome is that the "inudstrial apple style" aesthetic might be more pleasing to some than chrome's slightly more cartoonish/windows-y aesthetic.

But as far as the interface goes, they're the same exact thing, except chrome has the unibar v. safari has a search bar and an address bar. And chrome is very slightly faster under most conditions.

However, for me the difference in speed was pretty negligible and the main difference was that I liked chrome's page managment better and I liked the unibar better than having two separate bars.
  • Reply 27 of 160
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I tend to disagree with this and I don't think there is any evidence to support the idea that most Safari users are just using it "by default."

Safari has a particular appeal to people who like the Apple's penchant for things to be as minimal and as tasteful as possible. This group is definitely a minority, but still quite large in terms of absolute numbers. It seems to me that there is an easily describe-able niche of people who use Safari on purpose, simply because it's the only one that offers this minimal approach.

Personally, I find most web browsers so hideously overdone, so ugly, and so jazzily laid out, that they are difficult to use. Firefox may be one of the best browsers in the world technically, but one look at it's ugly face and you just know that no real artist had a hand in it's creation and it's hard for a lot of us to get past that.

That sums me up pretty well. I switched back to Safari (from Firefox) a few months ago because I prefer it. I haven't gotten around to trying Chrome yet. When I do, I'll use it as my default browser for a week or two, then decide which to use.
  • Reply 28 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FJRabon View Post

The weird thing about this whole debate is I still haven't seen anybody tell me what safari has that chrome doesn't.

There a lots of reasons and they're all over the threads and reviews of Chrome For Mac.

I'll leave Safari's better speed on JS tests out of it. One, because the speeds are so close that it's pointless to make a choice on that metric. Two, it's still 32-bit on OS X and I have feeling it will beat Safari once it gets full 64-bit since V8 has been shown to best Nitro on Windows.

Some of the benefits I found in Safari with my last Chrome test are: full OS integration which is too many things to list individually (which is why I prefer IE on Windows), slightly thinner windowing even though the tabs are on bottom give me more webpage space, Status Bar, Click To Flash as an option, AutoFill (not just usernames and passwords) and, probably most talked about, bookmark editing.
  • Reply 29 of 160
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    My 2¢ is this:

1: Have you seen Safari on Windows?

Or I should rather say, fisher price colored Windows?

2: Windows users are looking for better security, privacy and customization than IE. Safari doesn't offer that. Crome doesn't offer that, it might, but I doubt it.

3: I don't think Google will allow Ad Block, Ghostery (trackers), NoScript (script firewall) and BetterPrivacy (flash cookies killer) on their Chrome browser. Especially since Google goes out of it's way to know everything on the internet.
  • Reply 30 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There a lots of reasons and they're all over the threads and reviews of Chrome For Mac.

... and, probably most talked about, bookmark editing.

Bookmark editing? I just edited my bookmarks for Chromium yesterday. It was really easy:

emacs ~/Library/Application Support/Chromium/Default/Bookmarks.
  • Reply 31 of 160
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    I personally only use safari on my Mini because of the Magic Mouse. On my G5 I use Opera, I find the mouse gestures to be lovely and wish they'd implement it more in Safari. I would probably use Opera exclusively if it weren't for some sites not being compatible
  • Reply 32 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gucky View Post

Bookmark editing? I just edited my bookmarks for Chromium yesterday. It was really easy:

emacs ~/Library/Application Support/Chromium/Default/Bookmarks.

• Reply 33 of 160
    (Never mind...)
  • Reply 34 of 160
    The survey that supports this is really nothing more than an "opinion." It all depends on how extensive and representative the survey was. Other than the fact that Chrome and Safari lag IE by a large margin, there really is no certainty beyond that. To say that Chrome has surpassed Safari by a few measily percentage points is a joke. You'd have statisticians laughing. The difference is well within the margin of error even if you had hundreds or millions of samples. Things like this are not newsworthy at the moment.
  • Reply 35 of 160
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FJRabon View Post

I don't think there will continue to be much difference between Safari and Chrome. Competitors generally gravitate towards each other. The one area I don't like about Google is that it makes 99% of its revenue on advertising....that's a lot of tabs on you and me.
  • Reply 36 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

My 2¢ is this:

1: Have you seen Safari on Windows?

Or I should rather say, fisher price colored Windows?

I use Safari with Win7. What in the world are you referring to with "fisher price colored Windows?"
  • Reply 37 of 160
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

I use Safari with Win7. What in the world are you referring to with "fisher price colored Windows?"

This one.

XP looks like it belongs in a pre-school someplace.

Your not going to defend XP now are you?
  • Reply 38 of 160
    Chrome is OK but I like being able to sync my bookmarks via MobileMe
  • Reply 39 of 160
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Safari 4.0 was much improved over the 3.x versions. Near the end of its beta phrase Apple decided to switch the placement of tabs. It looked pretty close how it went against normal Apple UI design and maybe the developers were tipping their hats to Google.

One annoyance in Safari 4.0 is having the plus sign "+" way to the right of the actually tabs instead of right next to the tabs. Most modern browsers make it easy to create a new tab without having to move your mouse across the entire screen. That's a UI design flaw of Safari.

Also, I still can't sort web sites in Safari like I can in other browsers.

What happened to the rumored feature of Safari implementing volume controls in the brower so web ads can be muffled? That would be a nice feature.

Chrome has gotten a lot of play especially since they are transforming it into an OS. It is a nice browser but I must say Safari and Firefox are my Mac browsers of choice. Chrome and Firefox on Windows 7.
  • Reply 40 of 160
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Go Chrome!