Chrome edges out Safari, iPhone OS continues growth in December - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Safari 4.0 was much improved over the 3.x versions. Near the end of its beta phrase Apple decided to switch the placement of tabs. It looked pretty close how it went against normal Apple UI design and maybe the developers were tipping their hats to Google.

I miss the tabs on top. I liked the increase space for viewing pages. I understand if they didn't like the result and went back to tabs on bottom but I would have liked the option even if it was hidden in the PLIST file. I ran the beta for as long as possible.

Quote:

One annoyance in Safari 4.0 is having the plus sign "+" way to the right of the actually tabs instead of right next to the tabs. Most modern browsers make it easy to create a new tab without having to move your mouse across the entire screen. That's a UI design flaw of Safari.

I see what you saying but I don't think it's a big deal with double-clicking the tabs bar to create a new tab and the Add Tab tool bar option.

Quote:

Also, I still can't sort web sites in Safari like I can in other browsers.

Intrigued. Sort how?

Quote:

What happened to the rumored feature of Safari implementing volume controls in the brower so web ads can be muffled? That would be a nice feature.

I'd like to see this added, too.
  • Reply 42 of 160
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

My 2¢ is this:

1: Have you seen Safari on Windows?

Or I should rather say, fisher price colored Windows?

2: Windows users are looking for better security, privacy and customization than IE. Safari doesn't offer that. Crome doesn't offer that, it might, but I doubt it.

3: I don't think Google will allow Ad Block, Ghostery (trackers), NoScript (script firewall) and BetterPrivacy (flash cookies killer) on their Chrome browser. Especially since Google goes out of it's way to know everything on the internet.

Really?

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/search?q=AdBlock
  • Reply 43 of 160
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think Chrome browser share will continue to grow, but it won't be at Safari's expense. It offers nothing to the average Safari user but promises to replace Firefox completely once the plug-in mania gets started.

I would bet money that as Chrome usage rises, Firefox and MSIE use goes down. MSIE will likely stay stronger too because the reasons behind it's use have less to do with user preference than they do business. Those that are looking for simple and minimal though will likely stay with Safari.

Not sure about that. If Chrome fixes their browser to a point where people no longer need firefox since safari has some problems with secure finacially sites, both FF and Safari take a huge hit. If the jail break it for the phone, even bigger penetration.

HNY
  • Reply 44 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I think that's Apples main focus, grow the iPhone, and it will in return create the Halo effect. The iPhone OS is still in its infancy but compared to others it's way more advanced, from developer to User.

Snow Leopard did it's job, though many people feel Apple rushed it, it's set us up for what's to come. I think Apple's market share from where they were just 2 years ago is great.

The Desktop Operating System as Whole will be dramatically changed in few years time anyway 3 years + or - .

It's edge out by Googles Chrome in beta form!? Pretty impressive, from the perspective that by time Google says it's finished with Chrome being in beta (Which is scheduled for Dec of this year) Apple will have improved Safari dramatically that the two competing browsers will always end up out edging one another.

I've always felt the ultimate goal of the "browser wars" was to have a sufficient and capable browser for Windows users since IE<insert failed numerical # here> hasn't been good for anybody on that platform. Apple was kind enough to share safari (not to mention it makes business sense). Google has obviously wedge itself as a viable solution next to Mozilla (which should be more worried).... Apple will never allow a competitor to best them on it's own OS.

is the same mythical Halo affect from the iPod (210m units in 9 years) that has created a 5% US computer market share and a considerably lower one elsewhere in the world?

a PMP is one thing, a whole computer is a different proposition.

rounding error is correct.
  • Reply 45 of 160
    Though Chrome is faster, light and quite easy to use, I will still use Safari 4 because of its great RSS reader, inbuilt dictionary and speech services, cover flow for searching through history, ability to play HD videos on youtube through Quicktime X by using click2flash plugin, really easy to use Top Sites features among others. Though some of these features are present for Chrome as well, but they have not been done as beautifully as they are in Safari 4. Despite all these praises that I showered on Safari 4, it is really annoying that it keeps crashing regularly on my MacBook. This really sucks. It is despite the fact I have SL on my MacBook and Safari supposed to be crash resistant. I hope Apple will fix this problem in a new update of Safari.
  • Reply 46 of 160
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    What's surprised me is the amount of advertising that Google has put behind Chrome. The entirety of the London Underground has been plastered with adverts for it. I was at Oxford Circus (one of the main stations for tourists) and every single billboard had a Chrome poster on it. I've never seen Google advertise in this way before and they've gone in big.
  • Reply 47 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I can't go onto YouTube without getting bet around the place by Chrome adverts. I like Google and all that but this is the first instance where I feel they are going a bit too far. Sort of abusing their power.

I wouldn't mind but I think Chrome is a great browser.

how is it an abuse of their power to plaster ads on youtube, which they own? have you seen amazon's site recently? the entire homepage is all kindle, all the time.

google is doing this at an expense in lieu of other advertisements showing in its place.
  • Reply 48 of 160
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Cool. thanks.

Guess Google wants to know how many people block ads too.
  • Reply 49 of 160
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holywarrior007 View Post

Despite all these praises that I showered on Safari 4, it is really annoying that it keeps crashing regularly on my MacBook.

Safari most likely isn't the problem, your computer might be.

1: could be your RAM is too low, get more as you'll need it anyway eventually.

2: could be a corrupted or infected Safari, get OnyX and completely flush your system and browser caches, do everything, it sort of nukes your system back to the original system state (files and network left ok)

If that doesn't work there is software that can extract Safari from the OS X install disks (get back with you on that) so you replace the old with the new.

If that doesn't work, it's most likely a corrupted OS X and or bad sectors on the disk which will give you problems regardless. The biggest cause of bad sectors is rough handling while the hard drive is operating. Don't move your computer while it's powered up.

You can download and Carbon Copy Clone your entire OS X boot drive over to a external drive and repair permissions on both. 'Hold option boot" from the clone and check everything out that it works.

Then 'hold c boot' from a OS X install disk and select Disk Utility and Erase with Zero option (important) the entire drive. Everything will be gone and the bad sectors mapped off.

After this is done, reinstall OS X and update everything using your old drive/user name and passwords. You then can copy things like iTunes over without alteration form the clone. If not you can edit the file in iTunes and "search and replace" to the new pathnames of your new drive so all your playlists etc are intact.

If after rebuilding your entire hard drive you still have issues, it's most likely a failing drive. Which warranty or AppleCare or $$ will be needed to fix.

If you have a MacBook that you can access the hard drive, simply get a new one and replace. Get a quality drive, Hitachi makes the best drives. The drives Apple uses are just above substandard in my opinion.
  • Reply 50 of 160
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumper View Post

I dont believe this for a second. I can't believe how naive people are if they believe all these surveys. The internet must have 100's of survey results everyday. Show me how you got these numbers, how big was your pool, did the same address use both Sarfari and Chome? Show me the proof.

Nothing could possibly be better than an Apple product.

This poll indicates that folks prefer non-Apple products.

Therefore, this poll is defective.

QED. For a blinder-wearing fanboi, perhaps.
  • Reply 51 of 160
    "Despite all these praises that I showered on Safari 4, it is really annoying that it keeps crashing regularly on my MacBook. "

Nonsense. It just works. Macs never crash, nor does any Apple software. Ever.
  • Reply 52 of 160
    Quote:

2: could be a corrupted or infected Safari, get OnyX and completely flush your system and browser caches, do everything, it sort of nukes your system back to the original system state (files and network left ok)

If that doesn't work there is software that can extract Safari from the OS X install disks (get back with you on that) so you replace the old with the new.

If that doesn't work, it's most likely a corrupted OS X and or bad sectors on the disk which will give you problems regardless. The biggest cause of bad sectors is rough handling while the hard drive is operating. Don't move your computer while it's powered up.

You can download and Carbon Copy Clone your entire OS X boot drive over to a external drive and repair permissions on both. 'Hold option boot" from the clone and check everything out that it works.

Then 'hold c boot' from a OS X install disk and select Disk Utility and Erase with Zero option (important) the entire drive. Everything will be gone and the bad sectors mapped off.

After this is done, reinstall OS X and update everything using your old drive/user name and passwords. You then can copy things like iTunes over without alteration form the clone. If not you can edit the file in iTunes and "search and replace" to the new pathnames of your new drive so all your playlists etc are intact.

If after rebuilding your entire hard drive you still have issues, it's most likely a failing drive. Which warranty or AppleCare or $$ will be needed to fix.

If you have a MacBook that you can access the hard drive, simply get a new one and replace. Get a quality drive, Hitachi makes the best drives. The drives Apple uses are just above substandard in my opinion.

I think that you are confused. This is NOT a Windows machine. None of this is ever necessary with a Mac.
  • Reply 53 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

safari has some problems with secure finacially sites,

HNY

Nonsense. Safari works perfectly with every website out there.

i assume that you use the PC version. Likely your Windows computer has so much virus that it doesn't work right.
  • Reply 54 of 160
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I wouldn't call that normal. A lot of this can depend on what computer you are running, the amount of RAM and so forth. Pretty much any application will run better with more resources. For me Safari pops up before its icon can bounce once in the dock. Web pages open nearly instantly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

I gotta say, I switched to Chrome and really like it. Safari over time for me has slowed down tremendously - booting takes longer, and even for simple pages I was getting the beach ball far more often than I'd like. After googling it seems like this is a common problem for a lot of safari users, though maybe not all.

• Reply 55 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

"Despite all these praises that I showered on Safari 4, it is really annoying that it keeps crashing regularly on my MacBook. "

Nonsense. It just works. Macs never crash, nor does any Apple software. Ever.

No nonsense here. I am a Mac fan too. But this is true. It does crash on my MacBook. I have to figure it out what is the problem.
  • Reply 56 of 160
    Quote:

Well I have 4GB RAM, I have recently also run OnyX to clean up the system. I have installed SMART utility reporter and it says that the HD is fine. Meanwhile I have noticed that Safari crashes on my MacBook when I tried to play videos on youtube through Quicktime X using click2flash plugins and have multiple tabs open. Though I am not sure if I can repeat the crashing every time this way. But this is true it does crash on my notebook quite often. I have to figure out a solution to this problem.
  • Reply 57 of 160
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

is the same mythical Halo affect from the iPod (210m units in 9 years) that has created a 5% US computer market share and a considerably lower one elsewhere in the world?

What's the point of trolling and lying at the same time?

iPod has been on the market for 8 years. Not 9.

Only 7.5 years... on the Windows side.

250 million sold. Not 210

The Mac's US market share is nearly 9%. Not 5%.

Around the launch of iPod for windows Apple had:

Around 20 million Mac users.

Annual Mac sales of just over 3 million.

Approx. 3% of the US computer market.

And 1.8% of the worldwide computer market.

Today:

Over 40 million Mac users.

Annual Mac sales of just nearly 11 million.

Nearly 9% of the US computer market.

And 3.6% of the worldwide computer market.

So in the iPod timeframe the relevant Mac stats have either doubled... or tripled.

That's not mythical. Just fact.
  • Reply 58 of 160
    The plot thickens. You are trying to run video from a plug on a native media frame work using another plug in. That's not a problem with Safari. That's problem from the plug ins. Apple has said most of Safari's crashing is from Flash.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by holywarrior007 View Post

Well I have 4GB RAM, I have recently also run OnyX to clean up the system. I have installed SMART utility reporter and it says that the HD is fine. Meanwhile I have noticed that Safari crashes on my MacBook when I tried to play videos on youtube through Quicktime X using click2flash plugins and have multiple tabs open. Though I am not sure if I can repeat the crashing every time this way. But this is true it does crash on my notebook quite often. I have to figure out a solution to this problem.

• Reply 59 of 160
    That post was intended to be inflammatory. Its best if we just ignore it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

• Reply 60 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

[...]

So in the iPod timeframe the relevant Mac stats have either doubled... or tripled.

That's not mythical. Just fact.

I don't agree with Archipellago's conclusion and his facts are obviously wrong, but I do agree with a comment: "a PMP is one thing, a whole computer is a different proposition."

If we look at the real uptick in Mac sales it looks like it occured right when Apple made the shift to Intel and had the option of installing Windows which gave an out for those who didn't like or couldn't use Mac OS X, for whatever reason.

There were also Get A Mac ads which would help get people into Apple Stores (though the location and setup was likely reason enough if you were walking by) where many people could get their hands on a Mac for a first time.

After that word of mouth would have picked up from increased users giving a positive review. I don't don't some people used an MP3 player and decided to get a Nac but Id wager a great many more were influenced by direct Mac, changes, advertising and interaction, not from a pocketable PMP.

Archipellago is wrong in using marketshare as his sole metric without qualifiers. It's impossible for Apple to reach a 25% worldwide PC marketshare like HP, muchless overtake Windows on the OS side, with Apple's chosen business model. He's comparing disparate things and then claiming the other is failing because their unit sales are obviously lower. By his comparison all night restaurants are failures because they sell less beef-based food units than fastfood restaurants. The old fastfood hamburger v. quality steak analogy, at least it's not a car analogy.

PS: I'm still holding at 3.12M Macs sold this year.