Working on an iBook 1.42GHz PPC G4 14.1"

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
10.4.11 seems to have reached the software update peak. Supposedly I can install 10.5.xxx but I can't find a copy of the OS anywhere. I am also tearing the thing apart to replace a fried superdrive and will be upgrading the HD and RAM as long as I have it open. Any helpful suggestions on all counts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ROP 10K View Post

10.4.11 seems to have reached the software update peak. Supposedly I can install 10.5.xxx but I can't find a copy of the OS anywhere. I am also tearing the thing apart to replace a fried superdrive and will be upgrading the HD and RAM as long as I have it open. Any helpful suggestions on all counts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure Leopard can run on an iBook with PowerPC processor.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Yep, Leopard as a specimen of Mac OS X, which is for sure different from Ubuntu in some ways, will run quite smoothly on PPC 1.42. It's proven to work on 0.867.

Umm... It's not obvious where exactly you can find the disk of X.5 now.... Try eBay.

Check in here for parts.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ROP 10K View Post

Before I sold my iBook (same specs as yours) on eBay, I did install Leopard, and it worked just fine. I would max out the RAM though.

As far as parts go, Otherworld Computing is my source of choice.