Boot an Imac from on an older Imac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The screen on my old Imac stopped working, apple said it needed a new video card. I needed an upgrade and bought the new Imac instead. I want to transfer/erase all the data on my old Imac's HD so I can sell it. Does anyone know how this can be done without a functioning screen?

I was thinking of linking the two computers with an ethernet cable and starting up the new imac while holding option. But this didnt work. Any tips anyone?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syrinx32123 View Post

The screen on my old Imac stopped working, apple said it needed a new video card. I needed an upgrade and bought the new Imac instead. I want to transfer/erase all the data on my old Imac's HD so I can sell it. Does anyone know how this can be done without a functioning screen?

I was thinking of linking the two computers with an ethernet cable and starting up the new imac while holding option. But this didnt work. Any tips anyone?

Thanks!

Connect the 2 iMacs. Start up the old iMac holding "T". Your old iMac should now show up on your new iMac's desktop as an external harddisk. Which you can erase/reformat with Disk Utilities.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Note that holding down the 'T' key will get it into "Firewire Target Disk Mode" so you need to connect the two computers with a FireWire cable, not ethernet.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    thank you for your help!