Keyboard and Mouse Recommendation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here but can anyone recommend a wired keyboard for me? I currently have the MacAlly IceKey Black keyboard and find it awkward to use-the keys are too close together and the keys feel stiff. I actually don't mind PC keyboards but I want the keys in the right place.

I wish I liked the Apple keyboard because I like the size but the keys are so low down.

I also need a wired scroll mouse-I'm think maybe Logitech?

Any opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here but can anyone recommend a wired keyboard for me? I currently have the MacAlly IceKey Black keyboard and find it awkward to use-the keys are too close together and the keys feel stiff. I actually don't mind PC keyboards but I want the keys in the right place.

I wish I liked the Apple keyboard because I like the size but the keys are so low down.

I also need a wired scroll mouse-I'm think maybe Logitech?

Any opinions appreciated.

I believe Dell's keyboards are the traditional high-travel key type... at least they used to be. I recommend just going to a computer store and trying a few to see what you like.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I believe Dell's keyboards are the traditional high-travel key type... at least they used to be. I recommend just going to a computer store and trying a few to see what you like.

I can't buy anything with the name Dell on it-they are the enemy!

I think I may try MacAllys others keyboard, the ikey slim, I've heard its different than the one I tried.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I detest Apple mice like there's no tomorrow left to detest them, but I like Apple keyboards. I also predict if you got one you'd get used to and possibly learn to love that low profile. It makes for very fast typing.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I tired them at work and it just feels wierd, also the metal is cold.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

I tired them at work and it just feels wierd, also the metal is cold.

You don't really touch the metal while typing but I can understand the discomfort with the keys. I'm the opposite though, I don't like the high keys and wanted low-profile desktop keyboards for years. The low profile takes a bit of getting used to but it's faster and less strain to type on.

It's tricky to find non-Mac keyboards with USB ports - you typically have to plug a mouse into the back of your computer. You get USB extension leads so it's not a big deal but it uses an extra USB port.

One Mac-compatible keyboard you can try is this one:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ke.../4741&cl=gb,en

Low profile keys but longer travel to feel more natural and laid out like a Mac keyboard. To avoid the dongle, you can get this Bluetooth mouse:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi.../5747&cl=gb,en

Logitech mice are great but you should be aware of the wheel. It has two modes that you switch between by clicking the wheel down - it's not a standard middle-click. I personally don't like the wheel because the friction is too slow and the free wheel too fast.

Microsoft make some decent mice but their wheel mechanisms tend to be poor and the battery life of the wireless mice is nowhere near what they say it is and I imagine you won't want to support them either. Logitech mice have much better battery life.

If you get one of the models with the wired charging dock, you won't have to worry about batteries:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2006/12/18/...s_laser_mouse/
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You don't really touch the metal while typing but I can understand the discomfort with the keys. I'm the opposite though, I don't like the high keys and wanted low-profile desktop keyboards for years. The low profile takes a bit of getting used to but it's faster and less strain to type on.

It's tricky to find non-Mac keyboards with USB ports - you typically have to plug a mouse into the back of your computer. You get USB extension leads so it's not a big deal but it uses an extra USB port.

One Mac-compatible keyboard you can try is this one:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ke.../4741&cl=gb,en

Low profile keys but longer travel to feel more natural and laid out like a Mac keyboard. To avoid the dongle, you can get this Bluetooth mouse:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi.../5747&cl=gb,en

Logitech mice are great but you should be aware of the wheel. It has two modes that you switch between by clicking the wheel down - it's not a standard middle-click. I personally don't like the wheel because the friction is too slow and the free wheel too fast.

Microsoft make some decent mice but their wheel mechanisms tend to be poor and the battery life of the wireless mice is nowhere near what they say it is and I imagine you won't want to support them either. Logitech mice have much better battery life.

If you get one of the models with the wired charging dock, you won't have to worry about batteries:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2006/12/18/...s_laser_mouse/

We actually have iMacs here at work so I was playing around with it and its actually pretty easy to type with and you're right you don't really touch the metal. It does feel off to my fingers but maybe I can get used to it.

That Denovo keyboard would be perfect if it wasn't wireless. I really don't want anything wireless because of concerns about electric waves and such. I like the way it looks though and it has an armwrest which is nice. For some reason I dont see many with that anymore.

I've seen a kensington mouse that got good reviews on Amazon.