Apple refuses to return repaired iPhone to owner

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Too bad she never watched The People's Court, otherwise her actions might have been more prudent...

Moral of the story, IF your property is stolen file a police report so you have documentation for the courts. If it's not that important to do in the present, then it's not important in the future!

Live and learn, lady.

Ever file a police report? It's excruciating, and would have just been adding insult to injury for something like this.

It's the 21st Century. We live in a world of untethered communications. There has GOT to be a better way for Apple to be assured that a phone was, in fact, stolen. One which is fairly painless and does NOT involve the police (who in all fairness, have better things to do).
  • Reply 182 of 189
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    Someone at Apple has their head up their a**. The phone is registered to the woman, she reported it stolen. The police calls Apple to verify her story. What more do they want? A bill of sale from the thief?
  • Reply 183 of 189
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

The phone is registered to the woman, she reported it stolen

She called police. She did not file a report.

Quote:

"Until the cops arrive at my house, they tell me that since I didn't file a police report they can't do anything. I didn’t file it because in order to file one, I would have had to go to a precinct downtown (like an hour away) look through books of pictures to try to ID the thief, whose face I only saw from the side for a millisecond. And really, what would a police report do for an iPhone that was stolen on a NYC subway a week before Christmas?(plus i had a final that night) The two officers also told me that even if I had a police report it would still be up to Apple and AT&T to decide how to proceed with the situation."

Quote:

What more do they want? A bill of sale from the thief?

If the "thief" had a bill of sale, there would be no issue as it would have been sold.
  • Reply 184 of 189
    Wouldn't ownership of a PHONE be fairly easy to prove, seeing as how the true owner of the phone would currently be receiving bills for the service from AT&T and that the number would have been tied to the stolen phone? Is she still paying AT&T now that her phone is being used by a thief?

We should not be so dependent on a government agency whose officers don't even know what branch of government they're in.
  • Reply 185 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Get a Droid. If it is stolen it'll be returned to its owner magically. Droid does where iPhone doesn't.

WOW... right away! She probably sold it and wanted it back... if she really got it stolen or lost she would have made a report. Something's fishy about the whole thing.
  • Reply 186 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

The phone contract is tied to the SIM card not the phone.

Do you suppose she removed the SIM card before the had it stolen? The SIM card is in the phone.
  • Reply 187 of 189
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It is easy to get a replacement SIM with the same number, the "stolen" one stops working.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter02l View Post

Do you suppose she removed the SIM card before the had it stolen? The SIM card is in the phone.

• Reply 188 of 189
    Whose fault is it that the owner can't produce a police report if she called the NYPD and they searched for the stolen phone? Obviously the police department, since SOMEONE should have filed paperwork that would show an expenditure of police resources. Sue the police!
  • Reply 189 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will not return a stolen iPhone to to the original owner after the thief took the phone in to get serviced due to the victim's failure to file a police report.

Don't talk to receptionists in such cases, go to their managers