Apple to buy mobile ad company Quattro Wireless - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Good move Apple. I had actually guessed this might happen, now I'm wishing I spoke up.

I can see many people deserting admob pretty rapidly, myself for one.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    What it means is that Apple can head off the threat of a monopoly in Internet advertising in the App store brought about by Google's acquisition of AdMob.

AdMob also generates large amounts of information about it's users, information which will be spoonfed directly to Google.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    can someone enlighten me?

How do these mobile ad companies start, how do they advertise/deliver and what is the tech behind the biz?

Thanks
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Now do people here understand when I said it was a mistake allowing Eric on the board of Apple?

Can't you see what's going on?

Either Steve and Eric got together and decided to carve up the world or Eric was at Apple to be a mole for his own endeavors.

Yeah, cause we all know it's above Steve Jobs to 'borrow' ideas, people, or products.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nah... well done advertising is the stuff that turns good products into great products by creating a story for the consumer. A story that makes people dream and talk about that product like they may never have a complete life until they own it, and they might well be talked about like a pariah behind their back until they can hold this magical product in their own hands like a baby... Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the Apple iWedgie™!

Actually what you described is marketing, not advertising. Advertising is one component of marketing. But, Apple doesn't really advertise like that.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

can someone enlighten me?

How do these mobile ad companies start, how do they advertise/deliver and what is the tech behind the biz?

Thanks

wow

great ?

i know that my biz parters place tailored ads in tiny markets for pennies an hour from short durations

>>> say a taco ad from 2:30 pm to 4:45 pm in Dallas forth worth market > when some one googles Tex-Mex or something with a key word that refers to tacos / you may see his ad placed third in line under the sponsored ads area

i am a cancer survivor and many site's i visit all of a sudden show all kinds of cancer ads

even this site at time does this to me

even more crazy is that IF A topic here jumps to an odd subject you may start to see ads about that odd subject all of a sudden

even weirder is that only some screens will see that ad .

f..google

my 2 cents
  • Reply 27 of 45
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:

Now do people here understand when I said it was a mistake allowing Eric on the board of Apple?

Either Steve and Eric got together and decided to carve up the world or Eric was at Apple to be a mole for his own endeavors.

You got that right MacT! Eric was like the Google Tojan Horse. Making Google and their Maps the default app for the iPhone was similar. I am just surprised SJ allowed that to happen, considering how security conscious he and Apple are. So was Troy with its fortress until they got suckered.

Google is nothing but a freeloader (aka parasite!)... produces no content, but is a parasite that exploits others content.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nah... well done advertising is the stuff that turns good products into great products by creating a story for the consumer. A story that makes people dream and talk about that product like they may never have a complete life until they own it, and they might well be talked about like a pariah behind their back until they can hold this magical product in their own hands like a baby... Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the Apple iWedgie?!

Advertising always reflects the target population. You have a smart, sophisticated, thinking population then you get ads that are witty and informative without being deceptive. You have a population that considers People Magazine to be intellectual reading, believe in astrology, junk science, creationism and Drs. Phil & Laura, then you get the ads we get-- shouty, simple-minded, and downright deceptive.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I miss Apple Computer.\

So do I

I make my LIVING with many Apple COMPUTERS, and I fear, those days might come to an end.

Apple won't spilt up the divisions, because the computer division will look horrible on paper.

Anyone else see this coming ?

- Apple, Inc.

- Apple Media Empire

- Apple

- BIG Apple, GOOD Apple

- Apple Wireless

Skip
  • Reply 30 of 45
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Apple doesn't show ads, but one of their most valuable assets is their iPhone SDK, and there is a lot of ad-supported software on their platform. Including some sort of ad service in the iPhone SDK for third party apps could both enable more apps and give Apple a cut of all that revenue.

Good point.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

So do I

I make my LIVING with many Apple COMPUTERS, and I fear, those days might come to an end.

Apple won't spilt up the divisions, because the computer division will look horrible on paper.

Skip

Where do you get those drugs, because they must be a lot better than mine.

"the computer division will look horrible on paper"

Have you paid attention to ANYTHING going on at Apple over the past 5 years?

They have 91% of the retail market for computers over $1,000. In what world does Apple's 30+% margins and huge annual market share gains "look horrible on paper."

This is by far the most profitable COMPUTER company in the world and they only expand that lead quarter after quarter after quarter.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Apple TV will come again.

It doesn't look good value next to the PS3. But Sony and M$ are losing money on each piece of hardware. That's their lookout. Apple doesn't lose money on hardware.

I'd guess the Apple TV 'hobby' will have a hardware bump at some point. And it's finest hour is yet to be. Speculatively.

I guess it will be a router/hub for App store content at some point. Games, Movies, Music, Internet all controlled via the iSlate.

Once sub' tv via the iTunes is secured...that's a big arm lock to break the cable monopoly.

App store. Apple are a conduit to content delivery. They just need to fracture the traditional power bases of content of TV like they did music and with the phone companies...and they're done. They're ahead with the iTunes and App stores.

Looks like an unassailable lead. The iSlate is going to be one of the last parts of the jigsaw.

If Steve Jobs is making this up as he goes along...then you gotta hand it to him but I suspect he knows where things are going...with the 'next big thing.'

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    I don't see Google as a threat. So they make a phone. So what? Where is the rest of their hardware? Their OS?

They're an 'ad' company with a search engine and some 'free' software. I don't use any of it bar google search. I could stop using Google search.

I couldn't imagine stopping using my iMac. Google don't do anything as beautiful as most Apple products. I'm not worried about them.

Wake me up when Google are number one in phones, web browsers, OS, computers...apps stores, music stores...etc. Oh. They're no where near in any of those.

Big data centre Apple is building?

I think Apple could do a search engine. Remember 'sherlock'? I think if Apple do a search engine they'll punch Google's lights out.

Yahoo had it all and they fell. Fickle search engines are.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

wow

great ?

i know that my biz parters place tailored ads in tiny markets for pennies an hour from short durations

>>> say a taco ad from 2:30 pm to 4:45 pm in Dallas forth worth market > when some one googles Tex-Mex or something with a key word that refers to tacos / you may see his ad placed third in line under the sponsored ads area

i am a cancer survivor and many site's i visit all of a sudden show all kinds of cancer ads

even this site at time does this to me

even more crazy is that IF A topic here jumps to an odd subject you may start to see ads about that odd subject all of a sudden

even weirder is that only some screens will see that ad .

f..google

my 2 cents

Thanks but I've seen these small banner ads in some free apps. How are they placed in the apps? Are these fixed or rotating banners? EDIT: Actually they're rotating because I've seen them rotate....so is there a designated x/y area that receives the banners? This is a fixed size? Who puts the ad code in the app? How is the ad tracked? How much do they have to pay Admob or Quattro?
  • Reply 35 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The FTC has been actively reviewing the AdMob acquisition due to concerns that Google could effectively monopolize the mobile ad market by leveraging its existing AdSense and DoubleClick programs.

Speaking of monopolies, do you want to download Google Chrome, an amazing fast new browser!!!

If you missed that the first time I'll make it bigger!

Do you want to download Google Chrome, an amazing fast new browser!!!

This comment is sponsored and tracked by the Google Gods.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Or maybe they will just use them to profile their iTunes users to recommend Apps and other content.

You'll buy the Palm Pre and the first App you download will have an Ad showing you all the great apps on the iPhone!
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I miss Apple Computer.\

You can staying living in the past if you want.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

Love these armchair quarterbacks.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I dunno, I guess I'm old fashioned but advertising is just shite to me. Hearing Apple bought an advertising company is like hearing a well liked friend secretly has some bizarre fetish that just disgusts you.

The kind of apps that are "ad supported" are all garbage. They are deceptive rip-offs at the best of times. Apple making it easier for those kind of apps to be made and taking a cut of the revenue sounds again kind of like they are just getting into things that they shouldn't.

I also find it ironic that Apple is being so uber-christian and squeaky clean about apps in the app store (because nudity is immoral and sex is bad or something?), but they turn around and sell advertising?

If anything is closer to being "of the devil" or immoral, it's advertising, not sex. The entire industry is based on deception and misdirection.

Well, what do you expect in a country where Thanksgiving is the biggest holiday of the year? I bet 99% of population do not know who those Pilgrim Fathers were and why they came to America. The stupid story about "they came here to have religious freedom" is nice to hear, but the truth is the Pilgrims were the most bloodthirsty tyrants and were kicked out of the Europe because of their sick interpretation of Christianity (f.e. they forbid Christmas). You could see Pilgrims the same way as we now see Muslim radicals. I do not understand the way this happened here - the holiday celebrating mass murderers thrown out of Europe and their survival with help of local Indians not knowing who those people really are (they learned it a bit later with a bitter reward for their help). :-(
  • Reply 40 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Actually what you described is marketing, not advertising. Advertising is one component of marketing. But, Apple doesn't really advertise like that.

Advertising is the end product. Marketing is part of the process, but the ad, not the strategy behind the ad, is what is delivered to the customer.