Apple announces App Store downloads top 3 billion

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday revealed that more than 3 billion applications have been downloaded worldwide from its App Store for the iPhone and iPod touch.

"Three billion applications downloaded in less than 18 months -- this is like nothing we've ever seen before," said Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs. "The revolutionary App Store offers iPhone and iPod touch users an experience unlike anything else available on other mobile devices, and we see no signs of the competition catching up anytime soon."

The iPhone and iPod touch are currently available to customers in 77 countries. Apps are available in 20 different categories, including games, business, news, sports, health, reference and travel.

The 3 billion milestone represents a billion since the end of September, or a span of just over three months. It was in late September that Apple revealed that over 2 billion apps were downloaded from the App Store.

That means in the last 99 days, software from the App Store has been downloaded at a rate of more than 10.1 million per day. That's well up from the rate of 6.9 million downloads per day Apple achieved from April to July.

Tuesday's announcement shows that the rapid pace of growth of the App Store continues to accelerate. In July, just as the App Store turned one year old, Apple announced that more than 1.5 billion downloads were offered through its online application download destination.

The staggering totals are thanks in part to the sheer number of applications available. In early November, Apple revealed that more than 100,000 applications were available on the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Sweet!

Chew on that, Android.

(And Windows Phone is...where?)
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Two quick questions:

1] Is this 3 billion including all app updates downloaded, or just new downloaded apps?

2] What happened to Apple doing give aways for "1 millionth song downloaded" only, now for apps? Seems like its been a while since we've had one of those give-a-way competition deals. Maybe I'm imagining time flying by slower than real time?
  • Reply 3 of 52
    mobilememobileme Posts: 288member
    I Love Steve Jobs & I love Apple.

WOW were so blessed and fortunate to be in the Apple ecosystem and a to witness the future of what's to come!!

iLive iPlay iLove

APPLE

MobileMe

• Reply 4 of 52
    Btw, where can we find a source for this? The article quotes Steve Jobs, and yet on the Apple site it has no mention of this in its top news stories, the logical place I would expect to find it.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

(And Windows Phone is...where?)

Offcourse Windows Phone will have it's own unique app's, never seen before in the iPhone, courtesy of:

Symantec, Kaspersky, AVG, Avast, etc..
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Two quick questions:

1] Is this 3 billion including all app updates downloaded, or just new downloaded apps?

Apple has always only given quotes for first-time downloads. Updates have never counted. They make specific mention of that in keynotes.

No misdirection here.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    1. Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

2. PanoCamera

3. RoadTrip

. . .

. . .

n. Call honey

n+1. Call wife

n+2. Call wifey

n+3. Call husband

n+4. Call hubby

n+5. Call grandmother

n+6. Call granny

. . .

. . .

m. Welcome to Trinidad

m+1. Welcome to Japan

m+2. Welcome to France

m+3. Welcome to Bejing

m+4. Welcome to London

. . .

. . .

. . .

• Reply 8 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mista FraggadeliX View Post

Offcourse Windows Phone will have it's own unique app's, never seen before in the iPhone, courtesy of:

Symantec, Kaspersky, AVG, Avast, etc..

Lol.

I have to say, that gave me a good laugh.

News quote: "Windows Phone, the world's first phone with always-on AV software, and firewalls to make your mother proud!"
  • Reply 9 of 52
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I Love Steve Jobs & I love Apple.

WOW were so blessed and fortunate to be in the Apple ecosystem and a to witness the future of what's to come!!

iLive iPlay iLove

APPLE

MobileMe

Are you OK MobileMe? You seem to have caught the fanboy fever.

Yea 3 billion is a hell of a lot. Edited Out. But the number is high, though it would have been nice to know how many android apps and itunes music downloads are downloaded over the same period, just for comparison.

I had a laugh reading 1st paragraph, cause it was pure excitement. Steve talks in such away that even crossing the street would be an amazing achievement if he described it.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Are you OK MobileMe? You seem to have caught the fanboy fever.

Yea 3 billion is a hell of a lot. Edited Out. But the number is high, though it would have been nice to know how many android apps and itunes music downloads are downloaded over the same period, just for comparison.

I had a laugh reading 1st paragraph, cause it was pure excitement. Steve talks in such away that even crossing the street would be an amazing achievement if he described it.

I'm not sure if you know how I view Apple/Steve but I'll break it down to you .
    • GOD/JESUS CHRIST

• STEVE JOBS

• APPLE

• PROGRAMMING

• REAL ESTATE

• WORKING OUT

• FAMILY/FRIENDS

• WOMAN

Yeah Steve could find a way to explain crossing the street sound so amazing that I want to do it just like he did.

" Team we did it! We crossed over unto 5th Ave, NY. The traffic was amazing, but we managed to get across quicker then the competition, and now we're light years ahead of everyone else" - Steve
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers,

(More sweaty now....)

DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!

(Choking on own voice now.....)

D evel op ersss Devel op er sss, Develop erssss

(Wheeeze pant, nearly faint on podium)

I'm sorry, but news like this always brings Balmer to mind.

"500 dollars??? Fully subsidized??? Ha ha ha ha ah!!!!"

Good job Apple!
  • Reply 12 of 52
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    These numbers are amazing if you consider how many megabytes of data Apple is pumping around the world to support this. The iPod and iTunes Music Store allowed them to build this infrastructure, and anyone who wants to compete with them is going to have to build their own or partner with someone to build it for them. That's actually where Google could be competitive with Apple-- not the UI, which Google has little experience with, but the infrastructure in getting bits to users.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

These numbers are amazing if you consider how many megabytes of data Apple is pumping around the world to support this.

*tera-petabytes is more likely
  • Reply 14 of 52
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Keep downloading!
  • Reply 15 of 52
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    For those interested and previously posted, CNBC is showing a documentary on 'Apps' this week, as well as other interesting subjects.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I'm not sure if you know how I view Apple/Steve but I'll break it down to you .
    • GOD/JESUS CHRIST

• STEVE JOBS

• APPLE

• PROGRAMMING

• REAL ESTATE

• WORKING OUT

• FAMILY/FRIENDS

• WOMAN

Yeah Steve could find a way to explain crossing the street sound so amazing that I want to do it just like he did.

" Team we did it! We crossed over unto 5th Ave, NY. The traffic was amazing, but we managed to get across quicker then the competition, and now we're light years ahead of everyone else" - Steve

Wow man, really?
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Wow man, really?

Yes really. It's that big of a deal.

iDisk
  • Reply 18 of 52
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    10.1 million a day = around 117 app downloads every second, twentyfour-seven. Not sure what the average app size is, but if it was 5 MB, then at that rate Apple's server would be delivering over half a gigabyte of apps every second.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Mobile Me is like Techstud on acid!
  • Reply 20 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Why is Gizmodo saying it's "30,612,244" per day?