Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.3 to target crashes, over 90 components

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday began widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.6.3, the third planned maintenance and security update to its Snow Leopard operating system, early betas of which already includes bug fixes to over seven dozen system components with an emphasis on stabilization.

People familiar with the matter say the first external build of the software -- labeled Mac OS X 10.6.3 build 10D522 and weighing in at 665.7MB in barebones delta form -- includes a total of 221 code corrections to 92 distinct system components.

Among those components receiving the most attention are AppKit, CoreMedia, Desktop Services, FileSync, Fonts, HIToolbox, iCal, Mail, MobileMe, and QuickTime Player X, those same people say.

Other individual and welcomed enhancements include improvements to Snow Leopard's automatic spell correction, and fixes for crashes while printing and using AppKit, the Dock, iCal, Mail, Photo Booth, Rosetta, Spotlight, Screen Sharing, and Software Updater.

In total, nearly 60 individual pieces of crash-prone code have reportedly been addressed as of build 10D522.

Apple also reportedly noted four known issues with Wednesday's beta, including hangs in iTunes, and potential anomalies while updating applications, viewing Display preferences, and navigating the ColorSync Utility Filters tab.

Nearly a month ago, Apple began preparing the first beta of 10.6.3. However the Mac maker apparently chose to withhold the Snow Leopard update from broader distribution until after the holidays, during which time it compiled and evaluated roughly 15 more builds.

The last maintenance update for Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.2, was released in November. It addressed a publicized bug that could delete a user's account data when logging in and out of a guest account. The update also included native support for the multi-touch Magic Mouse.

Two months before that, in September, Apple released Mac OS X 10.6.1. That update came less than two weeks after the late August debut of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. It addressed a number of stability, compatibility and security issues for the Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple also reportedly noted four known issues with Wednesday's beta, including hangs in iTunes, and potential anomalies while updating applications, viewing Display preferences, and navigating the ColorSync Utility Filters tab.

I've been pretty happy with 10.6.2 but I have experienced some hangs with iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    No such thing as a stable OS. With continued upgrades to hardware and new software constantly being added, OSs are stuck in an endless update loop.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I've been pretty happy with 10.6.2 but I have experienced some hangs with iTunes.

I've also noticed iTunes hanging, as well as issues with Flash performance and crashes within Safari (I guess that's nothing new tho).
  • Reply 4 of 74
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

I've also noticed iTunes hanging, as well as issues with Flash performance and crashes within Safari (I guess that's nothing new tho).

Flash has been crashing in Safari for me as well, more so than usual.

K
  • Reply 5 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

K

Anyone else had trouble with flash crashing, especially in Chrome?
  • Reply 6 of 74
    Quote:

K

Same here.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    Dear Apple: Please fix:
    • QuickTime X randomly deciding to stop playback because I scrubbed farther than it wanted

• Screenshots of full-width windows getting their right sides chopped off

• Expose choosing griddiness over functionality

• Reply 8 of 74
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Flash does crash sometimes (on any system I?ve ever used) but I?d say not nearly as much as before Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard has been as rock solid as I?d hoped.

But nothing?s ever perfect, so keep the fixes coming!
  • Reply 9 of 74
    Hopefully it fixes the DisplayPort to HDMI display issue where it keeps trying to change resolutions and never locks on to a resolution! The Mac is unusable during this state until you unplug the display connector!

iTunes & Front Row 64-bit finally included?! Blu-Ray movie support?
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

Anyone else had trouble with flash crashing, especially in Chrome?

Yep - me, too. Both in Safari and Chrome. Not in Firefox, though.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    I'm hoping the fact that crash reports in Snow Leopard for the first time are sent automatically without asking the user will enable Apple to get to the bottom of bugs quicker. Hopefully we start seeing the result of this.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Quote:

K

Flash? eeeew. KILL it! I started using ClickToFlash a few months back and love it. Browser speed AND stability are enhanced tremendously!

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30682/clicktoflash

I've been getting random Low USB Power errors and crashes! The only USB devices I use are a trackball and keyboard. I can't figure it out. I hope Apple squashes that one!
  • Reply 13 of 74
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    225! That's a big 'un.

There are certain people who stay with the previous release until a few major point update have come out, this may convince them to upgrade. I am not one of these people, since I am always buying new Macs I don't need that come with the latest!
  • Reply 14 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Flash? eeeew. KILL it! I started using ClickToFlash a few months back and love it. Browser speed AND stability are enhanced tremendously!

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30682/clicktoflash

I've been getting random Low USB Power errors and crashes! The only USB devices I use are a trackball and keyboard. I can't figure it out. I hope Apple squashes that one!

Yeah, I use that but there are some flash sites that I white list that I have had hang safari, so thats not a viable solution. I think the problem is in webkit but I don't have any proof to back that up.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    Quicktime X crashes all the time when converting files to AppleTv. And trim only the ends and not the middle? What's up with that Apple? Quicktime7 worked better than that!
  • Reply 16 of 74
    .....another bug fix release.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:

K

I want nothing more than a fixed for the damn Flash plugin crashes on Safari....I thought plugins weren't supposed to crashed the browser when tab-browsing. I have to open Activity Viewer and Force Quit the Flash plugin at least ten times every three to four days.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.3 to target crashes

Snotard
  • Reply 19 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

.....another bug fix release.

As opposed to what...a feature release that ignores existing bugs?
  • Reply 20 of 74
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I've been happy with 10.6.2 and the VMWare USB bug doesn't affect the new iMac 27 so I'm good. I've never had a crash with Flash. Are folks who are seeing this using Safari and if so, is it in 32 or 64 bit mode? If you're using chrome and getting crashes, you should probably be posting somewhere else like the developer site as it's still in beta.

I'm using firefox and haven't had any crashes of that sort, although I'm not a heavy flash user except for the occasional trailer, or trip to youtube.