Moving song file from C:drive, to J: drive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
New poster here. I'm old and know nothing about the ipod nano other than my wife has one now and she knows less than me about computer issues etc. I've almost got the iPod filled with our music ,but I have a few more CD's to transfer to it.... My PC gives me the message that memory is at a dangerous low. I tried to delete some of the songs through iTunes and when I synced again the music was removed from the iPod and not the hard drive. Other than learning at some future time how to properly accomplish this I would like to move my music files to my J:drive from my C: drive. The J: drive is a detachable. I suspect it wouldn't be that easy. But, I need some advice.

Thanks

spurgon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    If you delete songs from a iTunes playlist, it wont delete the file on the hard disk. Delete the file from the Music library and it is will prompt from deletion from the hard disk.

Changing your Music Library location is straight forward. Go to your preferences in iTunes and set the Music library location. Enable automatic consolidation of files and iTunes should copy files to your new music folder.

If you want to move your "Music" folder in Windows, go to the Music folder properties, click on Location and enter the new location. Windows will automatically move the files to the new location.

If you are using a detachable drive, it is important to keep the external drive on whenever you play music or the music library will become corrupt.

------

Overall, it is a better deal to buy a larger hard disk and transfer data to the new hard disk and replace your internal disk.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    The error message you're receiving may not have anything to do with how much music you have on your computer.

You said "memory is at a dangerous low". Memory and hard drive space are two different things. Lets be clear on the exact error message so we can tell you exactly what you need to do.

Post the exact wording of the error and we'll go from there
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bbwi,

I only glanced at the waring message. I probably mis-spoke. My C: drive has 27.9 capacity, I have 26.6GB used and 1.37 GB free space. I'm assuming that's what the message was in reference to. Too much multi-tasking at the time of occurrence to focus.

talksense101,

I will be using an external drive via USB. Do you mean that the music files will become corrupted if I play music through my computer and/or my iPod when it is attached to the computer if the external hard drive has it's USB cable disconnected? How will corrupted music files be remedied in this case?

thanks

spurgon
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spurgon View Post

talksense101,

I will be using an external drive via USB. Do you mean that the music files will become corrupted if I play music through my computer and/or my iPod when it is attached to the computer if the external hard drive has it's USB cable disconnected? How will corrupted music files be remedied in this case?

thanks

spurgon

The music files wont get affected, but if you try to play your songs in iTunes and forget to turn on / connect the external disk, iTunes will mark the files as missing / corrupt and you will have to rebuild your playlists / library again.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

The error message you're receiving may not have anything to do with how much music you have on your computer.

You said "memory is at a dangerous low". Memory and hard drive space are two different things. Lets be clear on the exact error message so we can tell you exactly what you need to do.

Post the exact wording of the error and we'll go from there

Actually, they have a lot to do with each other. When down to that little hard drive space, its got to be cutting into the virtual memory.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Actually, they have a lot to do with each other. When down to that little hard drive space, its got to be cutting into the virtual memory.

Not what I said. Reread the post
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I was successful in transferring my music files from C: to my external J: drive and deleted the original files from the C: drive, and the ipod seem to be functioning fine. Now, the C: is also only half full. Unfortunately the Nano is full ad I didn't get all my music stored. Shouldhave gotten the larger iPod. Ha.Thanks to everyone who helped me on this.

spurgon